I hate fast riders

Eric Lafferty

Guest
Last night while commuting home from work a guy passed me on his road bike. I was too dark to see
how fast I was going, but he was going much faster than me. I figured I must be having a slow night
and it didn't bother me.

This morning on the ride to work I was feeling good. I was holding an even 20 mph when suddenly this
same guy blows past me again. Same guy! Passing me once like I'm standing still was one thing, but
twice in 12 hours? I hate fast riders.

> Last night while commuting home from work a guy passed me on his road bike. I was too dark to see
> how fast I was going, but he was going much faster than me. I figured I must be having a slow
> night and it didn't bother me.
>
> This morning on the ride to work I was feeling good. I was holding an even 20 mph when suddenly
> this same guy blows past me again. Same guy! Passing me once like I'm standing still was one
> thing, but twice in 12 hours? I hate fast riders.

I'd say he lapped you.

naah he'd have got wet, though if Santa can do it.....

"Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last night while commuting home from work a guy passed me on his road bike. I was too dark to see
> how fast I was going, but he was going much faster than me. I figured I must be having a slow
> night and it didn't bother me.
>
> This morning on the ride to work I was feeling good. I was holding an even 20 mph when suddenly
> this same guy blows past me again. Same guy! Passing me once like I'm standing still was one
> thing, but twice in 12 hours? I hate fast riders.

Dude, it was a road bike! That's the whole point of road biking. Speed, pain and ultimate suffering.
Don't feel bad, mountainbiking is on a different plain......Hammer up, scream down and huck as much
air as possible. Ok, maybe not so different. Like to see that dude keep up to you on some nasty
single track : )

SB

Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

>Last night while commuting home from work a guy passed me on his road bike. I was too dark to see
>how fast I was going, but he was going much faster than me. I figured I must be having a slow night
>and it didn't bother me.
>
>This morning on the ride to work I was feeling good. I was holding an even 20 mph when suddenly
>this same guy blows past me again. Same guy! Passing me once like I'm standing still was one thing,
>but twice in 12 hours? I hate fast riders.

You think THAT hurts? Naaaahhhh. What hurts is being on a road bike and having a guy on an MTB pass
you like you're sitting still.

At 20mph (32km/h) you're gonna get passed by a lot of roadies - just the way it is.

> Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Last night while commuting home from work a guy passed me on his road bike. I was too dark to see
> >how fast I was going, but he was going much faster than me. I figured I must be having a slow
> >night and it didn't bother me.
> >
> >This morning on the ride to work I was feeling good. I was holding an even 20 mph when suddenly
> >this same guy blows past me again. Same guy! Passing me once like I'm standing still was one
> >thing, but twice in 12 hours? I hate fast riders.
>
> You think THAT hurts? Naaaahhhh. What hurts is being on a road bike and having a guy on an MTB
> pass you like you're sitting still.
>
> At 20mph (32km/h) you're gonna get passed by a lot of roadies - just the way it is.

Even worse, riding a tri bike and being passed by a guy on a DH bike in body armor lol!

SB

"Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Last night while commuting home from work a guy passed me on his road bike. I was too dark to
> > >see how fast I was going, but he was going
much
> > >faster than me. I figured I must be having a slow night and it didn't bother me.
> > >
> > >This morning on the ride to work I was feeling good. I was holding an even 20 mph when suddenly
> > >this same guy blows past me again. Same guy! Passing me once like I'm standing still was one
> > >thing, but twice in 12 hours? I hate fast riders.
> >
> > You think THAT hurts? Naaaahhhh. What hurts is being on a road bike and having a guy on an MTB
> > pass you like you're sitting still.
> >
> > At 20mph (32km/h) you're gonna get passed by a lot of roadies - just the way it is.
>
> Even worse, riding a tri bike and being passed by a guy on a DH bike in
body
> armor lol!
>
> SB

I think about the worst is being burned off by an old gimmer riding a creaky old 3 speed (I think it
was a Raleigh Twenty) up a hill. This happened to me about four years back, and it took days for my
self esteem to recover. Bloody ringers.

Andy Chequer

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:35:08 +0000, Shaun Bell wrote:

>> At 20mph (32km/h) you're gonna get passed by a lot of roadies - just the way it is.
>
> Even worse, riding a tri bike and being passed by a guy on a DH bike in body armor lol!
>
> SB

That would have to be a pretty short hill or a wimpy roadie.

I've started riding with a bunch of triathlete types on the road a couple of days a week and these
guys have shown me a whole new level of pain.

Yesterday, one guy says, OK, sprint to the light. Me thinks, OK, I can sprint..... 30 sec later,
look up, where the f*ck is the light? Head back down, push some more, look up again, see a light
about a mile and two hills away.... Oh ****. Back off, they all come whizzing by, stand and try
catch the last guy's wheel and hitch a ride. Push until you feel the pain in your legs is going to
consume the very fibre of your being. Then everybody stands for the final burn. Oh **** again.
Starts to become an out of body experience the pain is so bad.

It's a different world.

-Bruce

About five years ago a roadie flew by me. Well I ran over a small tree branch which flew up and was
coming down over the roadie. I yelled look out so he looks up and makes the right move to the side
so it missed him. If the roadie hit that branch it would have been road rash for him.

Fire up MTB 03

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:35:08 +0000, Shaun Bell wrote:
>

> >> At 20mph (32km/h) you're gonna get passed by a lot of roadies - just
the
> >> way it is.
> >
> > Even worse, riding a tri bike and being passed by a guy on a DH bike in body armor lol!
> >
> > SB
>
> That would have to be a pretty short hill or a wimpy roadie.
>
> I've started riding with a bunch of triathlete types on the road a couple of days a week and these
> guys have shown me a whole new level of pain.
>
> Yesterday, one guy says, OK, sprint to the light. Me thinks, OK, I can sprint..... 30 sec later,
> look up, where the f*ck is the light? Head back down, push some more, look up again, see a light
> about a mile and two hills away.... Oh ****. Back off, they all come whizzing by, stand and try
> catch the last guy's wheel and hitch a ride. Push until you feel the pain in your legs is going to
> consume the very fibre of your being. Then everybody stands for the final burn. Oh **** again.
> Starts to become an out of body experience the pain is so bad.
>
> It's a different world.
>
> -Bruce

Sounds great, I hope to hurt that badly soon myself.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Shaun Bell wrote:
> Like to see that dude keep up to you on some nasty single track : )

Unless his name is Lance Armstrong and hes in a Nike advert ;)

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:35:08 -0800, Shaun Bell wrote:

> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> You think THAT hurts? Naaaahhhh. What hurts is being on a road bike and having a guy on an MTB
>> pass you like you're sitting still.

> Even worse, riding a tri bike and being passed by a guy on a DH bike in body armor lol!

How about being on a bike and being passed by a chick on in-line skates. Twice.

The look on his red face...

gabrielle

In article <[email protected]>, gabrielle
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:35:08 -0800, Shaun Bell wrote:
>

> > "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
>
> >> You think THAT hurts? Naaaahhhh. What hurts is being on a road bike and having a guy on an MTB
> >> pass you like you're sitting still.
>
> > Even worse, riding a tri bike and being passed by a guy on a DH bike in body armor lol!
>
> How about being on a bike and being passed by a chick on in-line skates. Twice.
>
> The look on his red face...
>
> gabrielle

He let you pass for the view. :^)

Scott

----------
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> You think THAT hurts? Naaaahhhh. What hurts is being on a road bike and having a guy on an MTB
>>> pass you like you're sitting still.
>
>> Even worse, riding a tri bike and being passed by a guy on a DH bike in body armor lol!
>
> How about being on a bike and being passed by a chick on in-line skates. Twice.
>
> The look on his red face...

There's a guy who regularly runs up the Sea View trail with his dog, they both pass me on the steep
sketchy part. But I smoke them on the downhill...wimps!

Paul

Eric Lafferty wrote:
> This morning on the ride to work I was feeling good. I was holding an even 20 mph when suddenly
> this same guy blows past me again. Same guy! Passing me once like I'm standing still was one
> thing, but twice in 12 hours? I hate fast riders.

Hehe, the cruelest thing happend to a buddy and me last summer. We were batteling this long steep
climb on a sort of singletrack in Norway and just barely maintaining traction and we pass and a turn
only to meet this girl on the way down. Is wasn't the speed she was going that freaked us out - oh
no had it only been that. She was on foot pushing a standard baby carriage* and looking like it was
an everyday thing!

Regards

Bruno

*Not sure if my translation is correct. The danish word is "barnevogn" and it's a thing with four
wheels and a baby bed on top.

Shaun Bell wrote:

> "Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Last night while commuting home from work a guy passed me on his road bike. I was too dark to
> > see how fast I was going, but he was going much faster than me. I figured I must be having a
> > slow night and it didn't bother me.
> >
> > This morning on the ride to work I was feeling good. I was holding an even 20 mph when suddenly
> > this same guy blows past me again. Same guy! Passing me once like I'm standing still was one
> > thing, but twice in 12 hours? I hate fast riders.
>
> Dude, it was a road bike! That's the whole point of road biking. Speed, pain and ultimate
> suffering. Don't feel bad, mountainbiking is on a different plain......Hammer up, scream down and
> huck as much air as possible. Ok, maybe not so different. Like to see that dude keep up to you on
> some nasty single track : )
>
> SB

Except I was on a road bike too.

RE/
>Dude, it was a road bike! That's the whole point of road biking.

I stayed with a guy on a road bike for about five miles once.

Then he finished eating his lunch, put his hands back on the bars, and dropped
me.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Guy on an old beat up Schwinn 10 speed passed me up on a mountain bike trail. I'm a loser.

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:10:20 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>At 20mph (32km/h) you're gonna get passed by a lot of roadies - just the way it is.

Yep.

:-]

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:10:20 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:

> You think THAT hurts? Naaaahhhh. What hurts is being on a road bike and having a guy on an MTB
> pass you like you're sitting still.

This past fall some guy on a beat-up commuter bike apparently didn't like my repeatedly passing him
in downtown Toronto. He ran every red light down a main street, and I got hit with almost every red.
I'd catch up and pass him in between every light though. I found his actions to be very reckless
given the traffic, but his own business.

At about the sixth red light, I was standing over my bike in front of a taxi waiting for the light
to change. Suddenly this idiot comes flying by me and sticks out his arm. He clotheslined me accross
the back of the head with his arm, almost sending my helmet flying off my head and definitely dazing
me a bit. He just took off into traffic as if nothing had happened.

"nobody" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:10:20 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> You think THAT hurts? Naaaahhhh. What hurts is being on a road bike and having a guy on an MTB
>> pass you like you're sitting still.
>
>This past fall some guy on a beat-up commuter bike apparently didn't like my repeatedly passing him
>in downtown Toronto. He ran every red light down a main street, and I got hit with almost every
>red. I'd catch up and pass him in between every light though. I found his actions to be very
>reckless given the traffic, but his own business.
>
>At about the sixth red light, I was standing over my bike in front of a taxi waiting for the light
>to change. Suddenly this idiot comes flying by me and sticks out his arm. He clotheslined me
>accross the back of the head with his arm, almost sending my helmet flying off my head and
>definitely dazing me a bit. He just took off into traffic as if nothing had happened.

Where did you bury him?