I hate hills........help!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    Well, it really should not be that much of a problem.

    The thing is that bikes with Shimano 105 components and better tend to come with gearing that is
    pretty high especially if you are a spinner. So you could easily have gearing that is not
    appropriate for the hills in your area. So you might look into replacing your rear cassette with
    something with bigger cogs.

    Another thing is quite a few people charge up hills at a really fast pace then they burn out and
    die. The trick is not going over you anaerobic threshold, at least not for long, and that way you
    can climb a hill.

    The final thing is this takes conditioning and that take riding and time. I recall when I was
    starting riding one of the hilly roads near me was Vermontville Highway and the hills there used to
    beat me up something fierce. Then one day I found myself breezing down the road with no problem and
    then recalling how all those monster hills somehow had gotten rather flat.

  2. Is it heresy to suggest that you get an electrical assisted cycle? You don't even have to use the
    battery if you really don't want to ....

    Elisa Roselli Paris, France

    Scott wrote:

    > Repeated blow up and recover is killing me. Just not fun anymore. Thanks for the advice, Scott
    > FYI- 33yo, 190 lbs

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it heresy to suggest that you get an electrical assisted cycle? You
    don't
    > even have to use the battery if you really don't want to ....

    Consider that the electric bike will weigh ~40 kilos.

    Do you really want to pedal (or push) all that weight up the hill? Or worry about where to park it
    on some grass. Or try to horse it around at home.

    Electric bikes are really baby motorcycles. Most of the advantages of bicycles disappear, and you
    gain none of the advantages of a real motorcycle/moped.

    Keep riding. Next year this time, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

    Pete