I hate my job!

alienator said:
That's over dramatic. Careers aren't gone. Careers are alive and well. The worker isn't the only that's been affected by the ecomonic state. The businesses have taken a hit, too. I've seen a lot of small businesses, in our area, close up shop. Likewise bigger businesses are seeing fewer orders and a dollar that's worth a bit more than table salt. Are businesses laying people off or permanently letting them go? In a lot of instances, yeah, but it doesn't take more than a junior high school education to see that's expected when the economy takes a ****.

Now, if reality is problem, people should tell their bosses they don't want to suffer or gain because of the health of the economy and the trend of company profits. Of course, that means from a purely idealogical point of view, a person would have to refuse pay increases and better benefits that stem from a company's success.

Our economy isn't built solely for the employee. Customers, workers, corporations, and yes, their shareholders are all needed to make the economic boat float.

Whining and casting blame is what little children would do.

I agree all the cogs are needed to make the economic wheel turn. It is how the company reacts to the decline that is what causes the frustration for many.

The influx of venture capital and putting shareholders first has created a situation that doesn't allow for most companies to survive an economic storm without causing long-term negative impact on both the company and the employees. Small businesses and those without public shareholders and VC have the ability to both save when things are good and accept losses when things are bad. Both of those allow a company to weather the storm, take advantage of the recovery in an aggressive way, and cause the least impact to employees via workforce reduction. Once you have public shareholders and VC involved, dividends grow during good times and when the economy goes south, similar dividends are still expected. No money is put away for when things are bad. That then means permanent changes to companies that have long-term negative results. Those changes create work environments that are unpleasant in many situations.

I've seen it before, and I'm seeing it now. Everything is short term with no long-term plan.

As workers, we've become commodities again. We are too often measured by our wages and not by our contributions. I've seen many good employees let go simply due to their level of pay and how that worked in to needing to meet dollar figure that needed reduced.

No whining or casting blame here, btw. Just stating what I see. I've been a manager as high up as COO for the last 20+ years. Have worked for small and large businesses in a variety of industries and under different ownership structures.

roadhouse said:
well from my standpoint, friends shouldn't work with friends. things got intense and and it was time to let it be known that i wasn't going to be taken advantage of. we'll keep the friendship in the long run as it's a somewhat civil relationship and always has been like this and i had a job lined up already. my bud started his own electrical contracting/service company and i was with him, btw. i've known the guy for seventeen years and was the best man at his wedding so again, we'll keep a relationship, no doubt. and we urban ride, dirt ride and most importantly, drink and ride together. always have and always will.

lucky for me i could care less for the construction field for the most part as being in it for almost a decade, i now feel as if it's just completely beneath me. it's actually quite easy to get up without having the ability to care one way or the other.

all i could think about at work was riding a bike anyways.
i don,t think apathy has any benifit for a person you get what you put in to your work most of the time ........

Me too! I used to sell and work on skis and bikes, even did some tech rep work. I can't be on my feet or work with my hands anymore, so I sit around talking to Cell Phone customers and solving their problems all day. The worst parts are we are now required to cansult a data base/search engine for EVERY question and if a call is more than 4 or 5 min some knothead (usually a snot nosed geek kid) comes around wanting to know why and asking if we need help. and we also req to sell "extras" on every call.

bianchi10 said:
I just needed to say out loud, write it down, type it....I HATE MY JOB!

I am in Red Bull (energy drink) sales here in Oregon. I worked for a different company that lost the brand and was transfered to a larger distributer. That company offered me a Management position with all the perks. After much thought as to what would be best for my career I accepted the position. I have been selling red bull for 6 years and WAS in management just long enough for me to train everyone and then have them tell me that my position was eliminated and I could either take a step down in sales or get laid off. of course I had to think of my family so I took the sales job and 2 weeks later they hired someone for the position they had just told me was eliminated! for the past 9 months I have been doing the sales and hating every moment of it. nothing I do is ever good enough, my DM is a total idiot and couldn't build a relationship with a $5 hooker, my direct manager is a never pleased, angry douche.
I get told to do something 1 way and then the next day get yelled at for not doing it a different way. I am told to make decisions by myself and then when I do, I get the third degree and written up for not consulting a manager before!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I want a new job SOOOO badly but I understand that right now it is just good to have a job and there are people worse off than I am. All of this is why I am needing to simply yell......I HATE MY JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A quick question, are you over 40 and is your replacement younger than you? If that is the case you may have an age discrimination issue. It sounds like they are trying to force you out.

Don't leave without some groundwork. I was in a similar situation.

Gather up all your client information, contacts, gross sales, etc. Leave this information at home. If you have a Rolodex or its equivalent, copy it and leave it at home. Make a copy of your Outlook contact list if you use Outlook. I would also gather up as much information as possible about your other salesmen. These relationships are your livelihood, not the product you sell.

So when you jump ship or get the boot, you walk into your next employer and say, "I serviced X amount of customers and had gross sales of X. I have established relationships with X number vendors in X area". You might want to hit up one of the smaller, yet hungrier energy drink companies, or become a distributor on your own.