I HATE Presta valves!

Jerz Fox

Guest
I LOVE my new Trek 2200 WSD road bike, but, oh, those damn Presta valves on the tubes! (Yes, I know
they're necessary because of the skinny tires and rims). I've never had any luck with inflating
Prestas -- must have something to do with the little cap you have to unscrew. Anyone have the secret
of Prestas for a mechanically challenged klutz like myself?

I also hate uphills, headwinds, and left turns, but that's another story.

Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness. Poverty doesn't buy anything.

>[email protected] (JerZ Fox)

wrote:>I LOVE my new Trek 2200 WSD road bike, but, oh, those damn Presta valves on
>the tubes! (Yes, I know they're necessary because of the skinny tires and rims).
>
>I've never had any luck with inflating Prestas -- must have something to do with the little cap you
>have to unscrew. Anyone have the secret of Prestas for a mechanically challenged klutz like myself?
>
>I also hate uphills, headwinds, and left turns, but that's another story.

One trick you might try is to loosen the collet on the valve head a bit before locking it in
place. Lock it down and then tighten the collet. Inflate, unlock, loosen the collet again, and
then remove it.

As for the rest: only go downhill with a tailwind on streets with no intersections. That should
solve all your problems. No need to thank me. <g>

Regards, Bob Hunt

The collet being the little cap? You have to speak English with me; remember, you're dealing with a
hopeless klutz.

>One trick you might try is to loosen the collet on the valve head a bit before locking it in
>place. Lock it down and then tighten the collet. Inflate, unlock, loosen the collet again, and
>then remove it.

I should be so lucky!

JerZ Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
: I LOVE my new Trek 2200 WSD road bike, but, oh, those damn Presta valves on the tubes! (Yes, I
: know they're necessary because of the skinny tires and rims). I've never had any luck with
: inflating Prestas -- must have something to do with the little cap you have to unscrew. Anyone
: have the secret of Prestas for a mechanically challenged klutz like myself?

: I also hate uphills, headwinds, and left turns, but that's another story.

The trick to inflating presta tubes is to first unscrew the 'nut' then press it to break the seal -
some air will escape. Put the pump head on the valve stem and pump away. You should be able to hear
the actual valve clicking as the air from the pump pushes it open and shut with each stroke. It is
vitally important that the pump head makes a good seal with the stem. Most pumps allow you to
adjust the fit.

I've found with my favourite pump that it seals better if I screw the nut on the valve stem back a
few turns.

I love hills, headwinds, all turns, even rain when I'm on my bike, because I'm on my bike, but I
hate Schrader valves on anything but cars.

Cheerz, Lynzz Time flies like and arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

[email protected] (JerZ Fox) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I LOVE my new Trek 2200 WSD road bike, but, oh, those damn Presta valves on the tubes! (Yes, I
> know they're necessary because of the skinny tires and rims). I've never had any luck with
> inflating Prestas -- must have something to do with the little cap you have to unscrew. Anyone
> have the secret of Prestas for a mechanically challenged klutz like myself?
>
> I also hate uphills, headwinds, and left turns, but that's another story.

My local bike shop sells an adaptor valve that you can put on the Presta valve so that you can then
inflate it like a normal valve. (can use air machines at gas stations)

You might try asking at your LBS if they have such thing.

wrote:

>The collet being the little cap? You have >to speak English with me; remember, you're dealing with
>a hopeless klutz.

>Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

The collet is the twisty cap on the pump valve head. It's purpose is to tighten the o-ring around
the valve stem. You're a medical type so think of the collet in terms of an air splint. Inflate
(tighten) an air splint and it works pretty darn good in immobilizing fractures but if you tried
to put it on or take it off the broken limb while it's inflated (tightened) it would be an
enormous PIA.

Regards, Bob Hunt

>I've never had any luck with inflating Prestas -- must have something to do with the little cap you
>have to unscrew. Anyone have the secret of Prestas for a mechanically challenged klutz like myself?

I'll try. First, the parts of the valve. There's a plastic cap on the end of the valve stem.
According to Sheldon this isn't necessary other than to protect a folded tubular (or tube, I guess)
from being punctured by the end of the valve core shaft. It also keeps dirt off the actual valve
cap, which is the little knurled nut that screws in to hold the valve closed or out to allow the
valve to open under pressure.

(I've seen and used Continental tubes where the fit of the plastic cap was tight enough to unscrew
the valve core, which is a separate part on these tubes. I have yet to figure out why, it's the only
brand of Presta valve I've ever seen with this "feature".)

If you're using clincher tires, the valve stem is usually threaded to accept a locknut. The locknut
is there to keep the stem from disappearing into the rim so you can get a pump on it. Tubular tires
usually have smooth stems without lockrings, you don't want a tubular locked to the rim if you roll
the tire off, and besides the valve can't drop down as it's supported by the casing.

So you have clincher tires and you're ready to pump. Take off the plastic cap and set it aside, even
if you can't find it later it isn't a critical part. The yellow ones are easier to spot later. If
its dark and raining, which it usually is, you can stick it in a pocket or something.

Unscrew the real valve cap (the knurled nut on the valve core shaft). It can't come off, but you
don't need to screw it all the way to the end of the shaft, close, though. If there's any pressure
in the tube push the valve stem in to break the seal, you should feel a slight resistance until the
valve breaks free of its seat. Air will escape, let it pop back. The more air you let out here the
more pumping is required later.

Now prepare to apply the pump. If a floor pump, I like the valve at the bottom of the wheel,
pointing up. If a frame pump, I like it at the top pointing down. This is so you can remain
standing, in this hypothetical rain storm.

Be sure the valve stem is perpendicular to the rim.

Practice at home with the pump you actually intend to use. This is because the pump chuck (the part
that fits on the valve shaft) usually has a locking lever that engages the collet (the part of the
chuck that grabs the valve stem). Most of these are locked when the lever is up, but some are locked
when the lever is down, know beforehand which kind you have.

With the lever in the unlocked position slide the chuck on to the valve stem until it bottoms out.
If it doesn't slide on easily it's very likely in the locked position. Do this carefully, because
it's possible to bend the valve core shaft. Now engage the locking lever.

You are ready to pump. In the case of the floor pump, pump away until the handy gauge (whose
calibration error is known to you) registers the appropriate pressure. Unlock the pump chuck and
pull straight off the valve, don't wiggle it. Clost the valve cap (the knurled nut on the valve core
shaft) until it is finger tight. Replace the plastic cap, or not, as it strikes your fancy.

With a frame pump, the steps are almost the same except in this case you are the pump support. The
idea is not to allow any forces that move the valve stem around. You do this by holding the air end
of the pump in a fixed position with one hand and moving only the piston, not the pump body, with
the other hand. This is much easier to accomplish in fewer strokes with a full sized frame pump than
with a minipump. You won't usually have a gauge here, or if you do you won't be able to read it in
the dark and the rain, so get useed to what a properly inflated tire feels like ahead of time.
Alternatively, stop pumping when you get tired, so to speak.

To remove the frame pump, unlock the lever and give the business end a bang with your fist such that
the chuck pops off along the axis of the valve stem. Close the valve cap and try to rember where you
put the plastic thingy.

A note on gas station air pumps: Their pressure gauges are notoriously slow to react and frequently
unreliable. It is easily possible to blow a tube out with them, so don't use them unless you have
your own pressure gauge on hand, and then use them in short shots only. If you have your own pump
stay away from them, they are only for emergencies and not for regular use.

A note on Presta to Schrader adaptors: No reason not to carry one, you may need it if your own
pump dies.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

On Tue, 27 May 2003 12:54:30 +0000, JerZ Fox wrote:

> The collet being the little cap? You have to speak English with me; remember, you're dealing with
> a hopeless klutz.

Don't feel bad. I don't know what a collet is either.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
--Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

[email protected] (JerZ Fox) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I LOVE my new Trek 2200 WSD road bike, but, oh, those damn Presta valves on the tubes! (Yes, I
> know they're necessary because of the skinny tires and rims). I've never had any luck with
> inflating Prestas -- must have something to do with the little cap you have to unscrew. Anyone
> have the secret of Prestas for a mechanically challenged klutz like myself?

Sheldon Brown's excellent glossary has a nicely illustrated explanation - pictures of the valve
closed and open, and with the schraeder adapter installed.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

He may also have something about pumping presta's in one
of his articles, e.g. installing tires / tubes or somesuch.

Or it could be in the FAQ.

(a Topeak Road Morph, which has a hose rather than attaching directly to the valve, may reduce
the likelihood of bending the valve while pumping. As with most pumping, the key is not to get
too excited in the process).

Eric wrote a clear and nearly complete note about how-to inflate presta valves, but left out one
pitfall everyone has to experience once.

Make sure that the pump head is designed for use with presta valves. If it is set up to deal with
schrader valves (automobile type), it will have a piece inside designed to depress the valve stem.
Using the wrong pump head can bend or break the presta valve stem (but it only happens in the rain).

The schrader valve stem needs to be physically pushed down by the pump in order to allow the air to
flow in. With the presta valve, the air pressure in the pump opens the valve.

Finally, someone mentioned that a Presta valve needs a pump with a fitting of a different size and
configuration than what is used for a Schraeder valve. Many good pumps made for bicycles have either
two heads, one for each type or a reversible inner part that can be shifted. I thought this was
worth repeating at the top of a short message, so it would be noted.

Steve McDonald

[email protected] (JerZ Fox) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I also hate uphills, headwinds, and left turns, but that's another story.

left turns? no big deal.

Then again, I'm in London, and right turns are a real pain....

-Luigi

On Tue, 27 May 2003 08:25:02 -0400, JerZ Fox wrote:

> I LOVE my new Trek 2200 WSD road bike, but, oh, those damn Presta valves on the tubes! (Yes, I
> know they're necessary because of the skinny tires and rims). I've never had any luck with
> inflating Prestas -- must have something to do with the little cap you have to unscrew. Anyone
> have the secret of Prestas for a mechanically challenged klutz like myself?

unscrew nut, then tap w/finger to 'break seal' before hooking up pump

On Tue, 27 May 2003 13:25:34 -0400, Tanya Quinn wrote:

> My local bike shop sells an adaptor valve that you can put on the Presta valve so that you can
> then inflate it like a normal valve. (can use air machines at gas stations)
>
> You might try asking at your LBS if they have such thing.

sure they will but in 32 yrs i have never had a flat anywhhere near a gas station

In article <[email protected]>, Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2003 13:25:34 -0400, Tanya Quinn wrote:
>

> > My local bike shop sells an adaptor valve that you can put on the Presta valve so that you can
> > then inflate it like a normal valve. (can use air machines at gas stations)
> >
> > You might try asking at your LBS if they have such thing.
>
> sure they will but in 32 yrs i have never had a flat anywhhere near a gas station

Never tried it but I heard that gas station inflators can blow out your tires because they're
expecting to fill something big.

Wed, 28 May 2003 18:44:05 -0400, <[email protected]>, Steve Palincsar
<[email protected]> wrote:

>sure they will but in 32 yrs i have never had a flat anywhhere near a gas station

I had one within 20 yards of the bicycle shop where I'd just purchased a Zefal frame pump.
--
zk

On Wed, 28 May 2003 21:07:08 -0700, Leonard Migliore <[email protected]> wrote:

>Never tried it but I heard that gas station inflators can blow out your tires because they're
>expecting to fill something big.

On the contrary, they inflate to about half to a third of the pressure you need. They're mostly used
to top off car tires, at least here, not to fill them from empty. It's not like anyone *ever*
repairs their own flat car tyres..

Jasper

Leonard Migliore <[email protected]> writes:

> In article <[email protected]>, Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 May 2003 13:25:34 -0400, Tanya Quinn wrote:
> >

> > > My local bike shop sells an adaptor valve that you can put on the Presta valve so that you can
> > > then inflate it like a normal valve. (can use air machines at gas stations)
> > >
> > > You might try asking at your LBS if they have such thing.
> >
> > sure they will but in 32 yrs i have never had a flat anywhhere near a gas station
>
> Never tried it but I heard that gas station inflators can blow out your tires because they're
> expecting to fill something big.

You can blow out your tires with a foot pump, if you'r patient. The thing with gas station inflators
is that it happens faster, so if your not on your guard **** may happen.

Usually you should be save with MTB tires because of the volume, and perhaps also with racing tires
because of the pressure - so that leaves, well...

--
__o | Øyvind Røtvold _`\(, | http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html (_)/(_) | ... biciclare
necesse est ...

In article <[email protected]>, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2003 21:07:08 -0700, Leonard Migliore <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Never tried it but I heard that gas station inflators can blow out your tires because they're
> >expecting to fill something big.
>
> On the contrary, they inflate to about half to a third of the pressure you need. They're mostly
> used to top off car tires, at least here, not to fill them from empty. It's not like anyone *ever*
> repairs their own flat car tyres..

It's not the volume of the tire that's the problem, it's the pressure. Since gas station air pumps
have reservoir tanks and electric compressors, they can pretty much generate as much air as
necessary. But cars only require about 30-60 psi, and if your roadie tire needs 120 and the pump can
only output 90, you're going to be unhappy.

That said, gas station pumps are fast, so you can't be inattentive.

Hi Diana,

The secret is to go out and buy a floor pump. You are right, presta valves are difficult to use -
with a hand pump. A floor pump makes it all the difference. I got the one made by "Silca" because 9
times out of 10 when you go in a bike shop and ask to use theirs, that's what they are using. Best
$20 (or so) you can spend.

Doug