i hate presta valves!

miater

Nov 9, 2003
what was wrong with schraders? i replaced my 15 bianchi strada with a lemond tourmalet , and i really haven't got the hang of the presta yet.

it seems much harder to get the pump off of the valve cleanly , and i somehow broke on of the valves.

a little piece on top just stuck in the pump and came right off.

if i had my way , i'd put some wheels on that were drilled for the schraders.

Originally posted by miater
what was wrong with schraders? i replaced my 15 bianchi strada with a lemond tourmalet , and i really haven't got the hang of the presta yet.

it seems much harder to get the pump off of the valve cleanly , and i somehow broke on of the valves.

a little piece on top just stuck in the pump and came right off.

if i had my way , i'd put some wheels on that were drilled for the schraders.
Many presta rims are wide enough at the valve hole to be drilled for schrader. I'd just practice with em more.

Try using a valve extender when you are inflating. They are little metal cylinders that screw on to the valve for high profile rims. That way you won't run the risk of breaking the top off of the valve when you insert or remove your pump.

My LBS gave me one for free.

A 21/64" drill bit will easily modify most rims to use Schrader valves.

Originally posted by ad6mj

ok, but what's the advantage of the presta? would i be giving anything up?

I think that you would be giving up ease of putting on some narrow tires because the shrader tube is quite wide at the valve stem. Also with the larger hole for the stem you might lose some strength on the rim at the valve stem on narrow rims. this only applies to narrow rims though. On wide rims it is fine. Hope this helps. Use a shrader adapter for your presta valves.

Originally posted by S-WORKS
Try using a valve extender when you are inflating. They are little metal cylinders that screw on to the valve for high profile rims. That way you won't run the risk of breaking the top off of the valve when you insert or remove your pump.

the only bad part about those is they tend to screw down the little nut. I had to locktite mine in place and I just keep the extender on. then I can fill it with a standard chuck on my compressor.

Originally posted by ad6mj
a drill bit could chew that hole up pretty badly. it's better to use a reamer that will do a clean hole. but it may take a couple of sizes to do the job.

Originally posted by miater
ok, but what's the advantage of the presta? would i be giving anything up?

If you are not using tires more narrow than 23, no. As others have noted it you want to go narrow, then Presta is the way to go. I've haven't had a problem just using a drill. A reamer would certainly be another option.

Originally posted by S-WORKS

I bought a little adapter that allows me to inflate my presta valve with a schrader pump. I have a two-headed pump, but the presta side is real tricky to get a good seal on. So I use the adapter and the schrader side of the pump head and it worls great everytme. I think the adpater cost me $5.

You get used to them. Running schrader valves makes a nice bike look like some piece of **** Walmart bike. I've been a presta convert almost 9 years.

The trick w/ prestas is this:
Seating the pump nozzle and taking it off have to be vertical motions; presta valves to not tolerate alot of lateral movement. And don't forget to release the pump lever that clamps the gasket down so the air goes into your tubes.

Also, if you are using your frame pump to pump up your tires, you are probably under pressure. Buy a floor pump.

And be prepared w/ your pump and tubes on rides since petrol stations don't have presta adapters.

Good luck.

One thing also to remember is when using presta valves is to pop the valve before putting your pump on, the valve can stick a little bit and not be able to get air into the valve. Always let a little air out before you put air in. One other thing don't use the lock nut on the valve that holds the presta valve to the rim. You are asking for trouble if you don't get a lot of flats and then get one, the nut may be too tight to remove with your hands. If you have to use one put it in your bag and take it out when putting on a new tube then put it in your bag when done.

I'm hating the Presta valves so much that I almost cried today. I was ready to go for a ride and AGAIN both my tires were a little low, so I tried pumping them up using an adapter that I really don't think works well at all, and the tip of the valve broke off. I want my schrader valves back first thing tomorrow. I've had it with the Presta valves. NO MORE!!!!

Not sure why you are having the problems. A decent floor pump ($35) that is made for a presta valve (I have a head with both types) and a little patience and practice should work. You'll get used to them.

Originally Posted by BizarroMantis .

I'm hating the Presta valves so much that I almost cried today. I was ready to go for a ride and AGAIN both my tires were a little low, so I tried pumping them up using an adapter that I really don't think works well at all, and the tip of the valve broke off. I want my schrader valves back first thing tomorrow. I've had it with the Presta valves. NO MORE!!!!
I recently bought a Topeak Joe Blow floor pump which has double valve ends for both types of valves. I find attaching it to the presta valve cen be a little tricky since it doesn''t want to fit straight, but a wee wiggle puts it right.

I don't understand how you can be damaging valves unless you've got gorrila hands. If the presta valves are proving difficult to pump up (and assuming you're using a floor pump which is the only way to do it) I would say keep the presta valves and use a schrader converter. I would not go drilling the rims just to take a schrader valve.

Using a hand pump is asking for trouble - it will move all over the place since its difficult to use, and will not provide sufficient pressure without alot of effort and moving around. Get the right tool for the job, then its job done easily.

You could also try the ridiculously expensive valve chuck made by Hirame. Best non-esential piece of equipment I've purchased. Cost as much as the GDP of some small countries but you will never have a problem seating the pump or getting the head blown off at higher psi's again.

I've never had a problem inflating Presta valves, but their only real advantage, as fas as I'm concerned, is that they do seem to retain air better than the Schrader ones.
Which is important on long rides or races, but doesn't matter beans to the average commuter or recreational rider.
You haven't had real fun until you've tried pumping Slime into a Presta valve using a rig involving fishtank tubing......