i hate presta valves!

guys
Originally Posted by miater .
s
what was wrong with schraders? i replaced my 15 bianchi strada with a lemond tourmalet , and i really haven't got the hang of the presta yet.

it seems much harder to get the pump off of the valve cleanly , and i somehow broke on of the valves.

a little piece on top just stuck in e the pump and came right off.

if i had my way , i'd put some wheels on that were drilled for the schraders.
Have someone help you with your technique

till then- smack/hit the pump next to the tire in the direction of the hub to get it off instead of trying to pull it off
a lot of guys I used to race with broke that little piece off on purpose to save steps, ( it screws down to close the valve so it doesn'topen upon loss of pressure, (no springs)
use that little nut that screws on down the stem to the the rim, but not too tightn

After a lttile time you'll get used them, and maybe even get like me! I hate Schraders!- unless I'm using a powered air pump

A decent floor pump is totally useless if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere. I don't know many people who carry floor pumps when they cycle. If any, they usually have hand pumps. And no matter how good or superior a piece of equipment is, it's totally useless if the user doesn't know how to use it.

The problem with the adapter is that when threaded in in, the stem sticks out. So as soon as you attach the hand pump to the adapter, you're already letting what's left of the the air you have out. Doesn't make sense. As far as I'm concerned air should go only one direction when you are pumping or getting ready to pump. You let air go when the pump is not attached.

I'm going to look for a flexible extension hose or a pump specially made for presta valves.