I hate the Cutters in France

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chiefhiawatha, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.

    I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?

    embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.

    And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid tshirt,
    getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    >
    > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    >

    > embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.
    >
    > And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    > tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.

    Nah, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you Belgian. Haven't you ever seen those guys along with the
    Italian fans dressing in stupid clothes, bearing signs with elaborate likenesses of their heroes and
    proclaiming others as Gods (Vandebroucke). These people are just into
    it. For the moment? Maybe. But you don't know the reasons behind what they're doing. Is it
    possible, just for a moment, that they may know more about the sport than you? I know that
    sounds insane, but at least they're there supporting a team, and if it brings better exposure
    to racing in the US, I'm all for it.

    Tom

  3. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Tom Arsenault wrote:

    > [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    > >
    > > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    > >

    > > embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.
    > >
    > > And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    > > tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.
    >
    > Nah, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you Belgian. Haven't you ever seen those guys along with
    > the Italian fans dressing in stupid clothes, bearing signs with elaborate likenesses of their
    > heroes and proclaiming others as Gods (Vandebroucke). These people are just into
    > it. For the moment? Maybe. But you don't know the reasons behind what they're doing. Is it
    > possible, just for a moment, that they may know more about the sport than you? I know that
    > sounds insane, but at least they're there supporting a team, and if it brings better exposure
    > to racing in the US, I'm all for it.
    >
    > Tom

    Without fan(atic)s, there is only amateur sports and that without organization. They are the targets
    of the sponsors.

  4. Tom Arsenault <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote:

    > > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes. I was riding up ventoux while
    > > you were doing the Macarena, got it?

    > > embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.

    Those guys jumped the shark a while ago.

    (Ouch! Well, somebody had to say it.)

    > > And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    > > tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.

    > Nah, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you Belgian.

    If we Americans want to be true cycling fans, we must aspire to be like these guys:

    http://www.velonews.com/images/news/191.100.f.jpg

    For editorial commentary by Adam Myerson,

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20010207032112.03216.00001299%40ng-co1.aol.com

  5. The funny thing about those assholes is they are not even from Indiana. They are from Philly and are
    at the PRO Championship all the time.....

    "chiefhiawatha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    >
    > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    >

    > embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.
    >
    > And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    > tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I never heard of them until I read your article. Yeah, I guess I can join you in your hatred.

    "chiefhiawatha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    >
    > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    >

    > embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.
    >
    > And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    > tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.

  8. --------------010507050006030000000901 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    If increased exposure to cyucling in US means there are more sour bastards like armstrong, then I'm
    sure it is not a good thing....

    Tom Arsenault wrote:

    >[email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    >>Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    >>tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    >>
    >>I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    >>

    >>embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.
    >>
    >>And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    >>tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.
    >>

    >Nah, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you Belgian. Haven't you ever seen those guys along with
    >the Italian fans dressing in stupid clothes, bearing signs with elaborate likenesses of their
    >heroes and proclaiming others as Gods (Vandebroucke). These people are just into
    >it. For the moment? Maybe. But you don't know the reasons behind what they're doing. Is it
    > possible, just for a moment, that they may know more about the sport than you? I know that
    > sounds insane, but at least they're there supporting a team, and if it brings better exposure
    > to racing in the US, I'm all for it.
    >
    >Tom

    --------------010507050006030000000901 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    increased exposure to cyucling in US means there are more sour bastards like armstrong, then I'm
    cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap=""><a
    class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>
    (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message news:<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:chiefhiawatha-1-
    [email protected]"><[email protected]></a>... </pre> <blockquote
    type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France
    wearing the CUTTERS tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.

    I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?

    embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.

    And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid tshirt,
    getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool. </pre> </blockquote> <pre
    wrap=""><!----> Nah, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you Belgian. Haven't you ever seen those
    guys along with the Italian fans dressing in stupid clothes, bearing signs with elaborate likenesses
    of their heroes and proclaiming others as Gods (Vandebroucke). These people are just into
    it. For the moment? Maybe. But you don't know the reasons behind what they're doing. Is it
    possible, just for a moment, that they may know more about the sport than you? I know that
    sounds insane, but at least they're there supporting a team, and if it brings better exposure
    to racing in the US, I'm all for it.

    --------------010507050006030000000901--

  9. [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    > >
    > > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    > >

    > > embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.
    > >
    > > And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    > > tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.
    >
    > Nah, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you Belgian. Haven't you ever seen those guys along with
    > the Italian fans dressing in stupid clothes, bearing signs with elaborate likenesses of their
    > heroes and proclaiming others as Gods (Vandebroucke). These people are just into
    > it. For the moment? Maybe. But you don't know the reasons behind what they're doing. Is it
    > possible, just for a moment, that they may know more about the sport than you? I know that
    > sounds insane, but at least they're there supporting a team, and if it brings better exposure
    > to racing in the US, I'm all for it.
    >
    > Tom

    Chief is right - those ass-clowns are bad news. I've run across them on a couple stages and they are
    serious perpetuators of "stupid american". I wonder how they will fare now that anti-US sentiment is
    running high over in France. Bring a flag, wear a jersey, but the whale is so stupid. The Belgians
    (and better yet-the Dutch) are far more interesting. Riding through the Dutch Corner at l'Alp last
    time was a site to remember. This Cutters crew are just a bunch of Cat 4 frat boys.

    -a

    (addendum - I have to say I did like the "lead blockers" in the tour a few years ago. The guys in
    full football gear leading lance up the climb was probably one of the most inventive ideas I'd seen
    at the tour.)

  10. These assholes are not even Cat 4's in the Philly area. They watched the movie and then decided that
    they were going to go to another country and act like total asses.

    news:[email protected]...

  11. chiefhiawatha <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.

    In spite of all the answers, I still don't know what "Cutters" actually refers to.

    Didier

    --
    Didier A Depireux [email protected] [email protected] 685 W.Baltimore Str
    http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)

  12. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:52:33 +0000 (UTC), "Didier A. Depireux" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >chiefhiawatha <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    >> tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    >
    >In spite of all the answers, I still don't know what "Cutters" actually refers to.

    In the cycling movie 'Breaking Away' the college students called the local kids 'Cutters' because
    most of the locals used to work at the stone quarry in town. Local kids start cycling team, name it
    'Cutters' and kick college kids asses in the annual bike race.

    A feel good movie for the ages.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  13. "Didier A. Depireux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > chiefhiawatha <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    >
    > In spite of all the answers, I still don't know what "Cutters" actually refers to.
    >
    > Didier

    Breaking Away is a classic movie about a kid who races in the "Little Indy 500". A bike race in
    Bloomington for Indiana University. CUTTERS is the team of the movie's hero. There's tons of info on
    it out there. If you read this newsgroup, you would probably enjoy it.

    -a

  14. Buzz

    Buzz Guest

    [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    >
    > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    >

    > embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.
    >
    > And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    > tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.

    No. You are the asshole! And I'll tell you why. First off get your frame pump out of your ass and
    chill. That shark isn't an embarrassment, you are, for pretending to be an european elitist and an
    apologist for America. The shark is way cool as is waving the U.S. flag in france because it pisses
    assholes like yourself off.

    Secondly, the guys wearing the CUTTERS t-shirts do understand the movie and unlike you what it is to
    be a fan of the TDF. The American riders in the TDF are looked down upon by the established european
    cycling culture just like the townies were looked down upon by the U of I students. Get it?

    > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?

    What's up with that? For which team in the TDF were you "riding up the ventoux" on? The only "riding
    up the ventoux" you were doing was as a tourist on a triple chain ring with a 29 on the back. Now
    that is an embarrassment.

  15. [email protected] (Buzz) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Am I the only one who hates that group of Americans going around in France wearing the CUTTERS
    > > tshirts? You discovered neither that movie nor the TDF, assholes.
    > >
    > > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    > >

    > > embarrassing the rest of us on French soil.
    > >
    > > And American magazines, stop giving these poseurs de luxe any more ink. Putting on a stupid
    > > tshirt, getting drunk, and waving a large flag does NOT make you cool.
    >
    > No. You are the asshole! And I'll tell you why. First off get your frame pump out of your ass and
    > chill. That shark isn't an embarrassment, you are, for pretending to be an european elitist and an
    > apologist for America. The shark is way cool as is waving the U.S. flag in france because it
    > pisses assholes like yourself off.

    Where in this thread does anybody apologize for America? Waving the flag is great and I'm all for
    it. It's the stupid american frat boy antics that I'm against - be it on French soil or US.

    > Secondly, the guys wearing the CUTTERS t-shirts do understand the movie and unlike you what it
    > is to be a fan of the TDF. The American riders in the TDF are looked down upon by the
    > established european cycling culture just like the townies were looked down upon by the U of I
    > students. Get it?

    Ok - that is worst comparitive analysis I've read here in a while. The American riders that are
    over in Europe today are widely successful. The Cutters were townies with little money and
    humble means relative to the IU frat boys who compete in the race. Your parallel would be valid
    if it were related to the 7-11 team in its first Giro, but for the US riders in today's Tour -
    totally bullshit.

    > > I was riding up ventoux while you were doing the Macarena, got it?
    >
    > What's up with that? For which team in the TDF were you "riding up the ventoux" on? The only
    > "riding up the ventoux" you were doing was as a tourist on a triple chain ring with a 29 on the
    > back. Now that is an embarrassment.

    Buzz - get back to the your place as Cat 6 pack fodder. The point here is that these guys are a
    bunch of Bandwagoners. I can't vouch for Chief's gearing, but there are plenty of folks who ride the
    mountains as some pretty intense training over there prior to stages (myself included). Let Chief
    speak for himself - but if he's not the RBR fattie that you accuse him of - then you have come up
    with a total of ZERO valid points. Sorry chump (if he does ride a triple with a 29, then yeah -
    that's a bit embarassing).

    -a (rode Ventoux in a 39-23 carrying a messenger bag)

  16. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Buzz) wrote in message
    news:<dd4ec770.030618[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Buzz - get back to the your place as Cat 6 pack fodder. The point here is that these guys are a
    > bunch of Bandwagoners. I can't vouch for Chief's gearing, but there are plenty of folks who ride
    > the mountains as some pretty intense training over there prior to stages (myself included). Let
    > Chief speak for himself - but if he's not the RBR fattie that you accuse him of - then you have
    > come up with a total of ZERO valid points. Sorry chump (if he does ride a triple with a 29, then
    > yeah - that's a bit embarassing).
    >
    > -a (rode Ventoux in a 39-23 carrying a messenger bag)

    Now that is sick! Riding around with a French colostomy bag.

    Dashii

  17. "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > -a (rode Ventoux in a 39-23 carrying a messenger bag)
    >
    > Now that is sick! Riding around with a French colostomy bag.
    >
    > Dashii

    Sorry Dash - I don't get it. Are you saying that a messenger bag is ugly? I think I lost something
    in the translation.

    -a

  18. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > -a (rode Ventoux in a 39-23 carrying a messenger bag)
    > >
    > > Now that is sick! Riding around with a French colostomy bag.
    > >
    > > Dashii
    >
    > Sorry Dash - I don't get it. Are you saying that a messenger bag is ugly? I think I lost something
    > in the translation.

    Sorry, was supposed to be funny, I forgot the: <G>

    Dashii

    > -a

  19. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I hate to ask another question, but what shark?

    news:[email protected]...