I hate this year's Tour de France !

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
With the scandal that eliminated some of the best bikers out of the Tour de France, I am just not interested that much in this year's TDF. I was really hoping for a showdown of the best against Ivan Basso, now I guess the best might be Floyd Landis?

How many people are disappointed in this year's race? Vote on the poll.

I won't be buying this year's TDF DVD, and I can't see it on cable.

Well, it's still a race with lots of spice. If you think that Ulrich and Basso were what the tour was all about, then, well, you're wrong.

For the first time in a long time, it's an unpredictable race. There aren't any robots riding off alone. **** is happening to everyone and anyone. Where else have we seen the following?

Two of the three favorites pulled the day before?
Guys coming from nowhere with big-ball moves to win stages? (Kiessler from Mobile has been the most impressive so far but today's break was way cool)
Sprints that are amazing to watch develop. Sure Boonen is off form but McEwen, Hushovd and even Freire have been very entertaining. And how does Robbie appear at the last minute? He's freaking invisible until it matters.
All the big boys, with the exception of Floyd, failing to perform at the first big TT.
Discovery doing alright but falling down big over the last few days. Although Salvodelli will be big in the mountains.
T-Mobile, with their big gun out and their most experienced man hobbled, have picked it up big and are the underdog to root for.

This race is the greatest cycling spectacle in the world. We're finally seeing what happens to real people and how fatigue affects guys who aren't on dope. The reality is that they just can't be on form every day. This year's race is more about tactics and strategy and it's been great to watch. True cycling fans are loving this.

This race is the greatest cycling spectacle in the world. We're finally seeing what happens to real people and how fatigue affects guys who aren't on dope. QUOTE]

Chris, I think that's a very naive assumption.

JTE83 said:
With the scandal that eliminated some of the best bikers out of the Tour de France, I am just not interested that much in this year's TDF. I was really hoping for a showdown of the best against Ivan Basso, now I guess the best might be Floyd Landis?

Man, your loss if you hate this year. Aside from the huge names being kicked out, all the 'pre' race favorites completely blew it in the first ITT (aside from Landis), so all bets are off.

The mountain stages are going to suuuuhweeeet.

It is any rider's race now...

Any cycling on tv is better than none at all. Its great, unpredictable. Reminds me of the days before Indurain when no clear cut favorite

JTE83 said:

Sorry you can't see TDF on TV. The race has been a suprise everyday. It's no surprise the Robbie has won 3 stages, the surprise is that Boonen has been up to challenging RMc.

Outside of Yesterdays ITT, nothing would be different at this point if Ullrich, Basso, Vino, were in the race. So you should have enjoyed the race sofar.

What really bums me out is Bobbie Julich and Al Valverde going out with injuries.

Lw

JTE83 said:

I think the Tour is interesting this year. It's unpredictable and this makes it very interesting. No clear cut favourites although FL is getting lots of attention. Cant wait for the mountains! Its going to get even more interesting now that we kind of have a top 10. Lots of defending and attacking will take place!!:p

Its going to be fun and enjoyable and thats what draws me to cycling as a whole!

Before the doping scandal, I thought the tour was going to be fought between Ulrich and Basso... which was stronger, Ulrich's time trialing or Basso's climbing?

Since they are no longer in, I don't see anyone even close to a sure thing and that adds an element of surprise to the entire tour that has been lacking the last 4 or so years.

Jimmy Casper winning a sprint finish??? Kessler's attack in... what was it, the third stage? Calzatti's attack in stage 8. Yeah, good stuff! I'm enjoying this one.

Its fun to watch knowing that they somewhat leveled the playing field, in a doping sense.

JTE83 said:
With the scandal that eliminated some of the best bikers out of the Tour de France, I am just not interested that much in this year's TDF.
I assume you meant to say 'the scandal that eliminated some of the best drug assisted bikers out of the TDF'.

The unpredictablity is great.

Dave80 said:
I assume you meant to say 'the scandal that eliminated some of the best drug assisted bikers out of the TDF'.

The unpredictablity is great.

I've changed tunes a bit...

Straight after the Basso/Ullrich/Sevilla/Mancebo removal I was rather pi$$ed and decided to boycott the TdF completely - now I'm starting to enjoy it....

The plus side is the unpredictability.

The down side is the best man will not win.

I still go by the "innocent until PROVEN guilty" line - not the "media crucified so throw them out" line. Fuentes said it best when he said they threw out people he had never met and there were still riders he assisted in the TdF. Knne jerk reactions removing implicated rather than guilty riders helps nobody.

I will be watching though - kinda like watching the commonwealth games - exciting but not quite the olympics.

Even with the scandals, and loss of a handful of impressive cyclist. I am still really enjoying it, because I would love to see who the next winner is, in the "Post-Lance Era"

For me, the problem with this year's Tour is that there are too many flat stages and no team time trial. I do not understand why they cater so much to the sprinters. Sprinters belong in the velodrome.

I like this year's layout, especially starting one of the tougher stages in Tarbes this Thursday. I'm not even the slightest bothered by Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso being out of the Tour. Valverde being out with an injury and Vino being out because of his horrible doping team is what bothers me. There seems to be a more open competition without much of a big talk for certain riders. I'm actually enjoying the Tour this year more than the previous. Now that Valverde is out I'm hoping for George to make a nice challenge in the mountains and then a good time trial before the final stage into Paris. A podium finish would be great at second or third but I wouldn't mind seeing him end up with the top prize. But we'll have to wait and see what happens.

RickF said:
For me, the problem with this year's Tour is that there are too many flat stages and no team time trial. I do not understand why they cater so much to the sprinters. Sprinters belong in the velodrome.
I think the course is pretty well balanced between sprinting and climbing stages. It is somewhat unfortunate that they have to put most of the sprint stages in the first week because half of the sprinters get dropped in the mountains. And while the TTT is always fun to watch, I think they got rid of it because it's heavily biased towards the teams with the biggest budgets.