I hate to be adding another Bigha thread, but this is something new...

Ernest

Guest
as in an entirely new Web site, and I'd love to hear the thoughts of the people in this
group--positive and negative.

In case you haven't been there before, the site is at http://www.bigha.com

A warning in advance, if you're using an older version browser the site is probably going to look
weird. We tried to be as inclusive as possible (tested against Internet Explorer 6 for Win/5 for
Mac, Mozilla for Win, and Safari for Mac), but we just couldn't deliver the experience we wanted to
deliver and still accomodate older browsers. Apologies in advance to you hold outs out there.

But anyone who's seen the old site will be happy to hear that we completely did away with Flash!

- Ernest

Ernest wrote:

> as in an entirely new Web site, and I'd love to hear the thoughts of the people in this
> group--positive and negative.
>
> In case you haven't been there before, the site is at http://www.bigha.com....

"Is there anyone on this news group, who is not a known liar, who has actually purchased a Bigha for
the full $3000.00 price?" - Lorenzo L. Love

Sorry ;)

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Okay, my quick thought on your website. I thought it was an improvement over the flash version. I
especially liked the side-by-side comparison between a recumbent and a DF road bike and thought it
gave a nice visual of the comfort of a recumbent riding position.

Why did you pick an elephant as a mascot? Thinking of weight, in your FAQ you try to make an
argument that weight is a factor, but really not that big of a deal. Maybe that argument will work
for some potential buyers, but for someone who commutes daily on some long steep hills--I didn't
really buy that argument. In my experience, weight does matter a lot when going uphill--even if I'm
not racing. As far as the bike itself goes, I guess I'm a RANS kind of person. You would have to
decrease the weight by 40% (and about the same for the price) before I would give it serious
consideration--even as a commuter bike.

> Ernest wrote:
> >
> > as in an entirely new Web site, and I'd love to hear the thoughts of the people in this
> > group--positive and negative.
> >
> > In case you haven't been there before, the site is at http://www.bigha.com....
>
> "Is there anyone on this news group, who is not a known liar, who has actually purchased a Bigha
> for the full $3000.00 price?" - Lorenzo L. Love
>
> Sorry ;)
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

I fully expected to see that very phrase in the "What People Are Saying" section of that site :)

Ernest scribed with passion and wit:

> as in an entirely new Web site, and I'd love to hear the thoughts of the people in this
> group--positive and negative.
>
> In case you haven't been there before, the site is at http://www.bigha.com
>
> A warning in advance, if you're using an older version browser the site is probably going to look
> weird. We tried to be as inclusive as possible (tested against Internet Explorer 6 for Win/5 for
> Mac, Mozilla for Win, and Safari for Mac), but we just couldn't deliver the experience we wanted
> to deliver and still accomodate older browsers. Apologies in advance to you hold outs out there.
>
> But anyone who's seen the old site will be happy to hear that we completely did away with Flash!
>
> - Ernest
As I have said I think it looks like a nicely integrated package, unfortunately not available here
in the U.K., but who knows for the future.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

On the "not a known liar" quote, you know, I thought about it, for about a second. ;-)

To Brian, thanks a lot for the feedback! That side-by-side comparo image is one of my favorite
elements too. Even after having ridden road bikes and Bighas, I was really surprised by how low your
head is when you're in the drops on a road bike.

On the weight thing, it definitely is a big issue for a lot of people. I have to say, though, that
as a person who was something of a weight weenie myself (a large part of my justification for
spending way to much on my Ti mountain bike was that it's really light), I've been surprised by how
little difference the weight makes in real world riding, particularly when I'm carrying gear.

I can definitely get up a hill a heck of a lot faster on my road bike and there are some hills that
I'd take on my "wedgie" (;-) that I wouldn't look forward to taking on my Bigha, but that's not
because of the weight of the Bigha, but because of its recumbent form-factor. In fact, I'd say that
the Bigha would fare better than a lot of 'bents for hitting hills because of the firmness and
beefiness of our seat. People who've ridden other 'bents are often surprised by the "get up and go"
of the Bigha and I *think* a lot of the credit for that is due to the seat.

The one instance where I'd say the Bigha would be at a true disadvantage is in going uphill
against a strong headwind. With our higher-than-average seating position vs. most 'bents, wind
resistance will be a big factor, but with the lower position you give up a lot in visibility,
which is an issue in all conditions. It's all about each person's priorities and the Bigha
certainly isn't for everyone.

On the elephant, that's a good question and I have to admit that I have no idea where that came
from. I know that it ties into our name (elephant=big, party hat=ha), but I don't know which came
first; the elephant or the name. I'll see if I can find this out for you.

Thanks again, and please keep the feedback coming. Hopefully we'll be able to get the new site to
the point where it answers a lot more of the questions that the old site left unanswered.

brian hughes scribed with passion and wit:

> Okay, my quick thought on your website. I thought it was an improvement over the flash version. I
> especially liked the side-by-side comparison between a recumbent and a DF road bike and thought it
> gave a nice visual of the comfort of a recumbent riding position.
>
> Why did you pick an elephant as a mascot? Thinking of weight, in your FAQ you try to make an
> argument that weight is a factor, but really not that big of a deal. Maybe that argument will work
> for some potential buyers, but for someone who commutes daily on some long steep hills--I didn't
> really buy that argument. In my experience, weight does matter a lot when going uphill--even if
> I'm not racing. As far as the bike itself goes, I guess I'm a RANS kind of person. You would have
> to decrease the weight by 40% (and about the same for the price) before I would give it serious
> consideration--even as a commuter bike.

I see it more as a classy city bike, I would like to ride one around London to gauge reaction, I bet
it would be positive.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Ian wrote:

> I see it more as a classy city bike, I would like to ride one around London to gauge reaction, I
> bet it would be positive.

Even after you told people that the retail price in the US was $3000.00? ;)

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Tom Sherman scribed with passion and wit:

> Ian wrote:
>>
>> I see it more as a classy city bike, I would like to ride one around London to gauge reaction, I
>> bet it would be positive.
>
> Even after you told people that the retail price in the US was $3000.00? ;)
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Even then, but then the British elite are not as anal as you septics. ;-)
--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Tried to send email but wouldn't go.

Told me to fill in areas in red but nothing was red.

Wha's up?

Hey Ian, thanks a lot for the feedback. The integrated lighting (inc. turn signals and a brake
light) do make it very useful for in-city riding.

And we do in fact ship overseas. I'm not involved on the sales side, but I believe that we shipped a
bike out to someone in Germany (it was either Germany or Denmark). The only thing is that overseas
orders are charged freight, which varies by country.

Are there any things about the site that you all think we can do better? One area we're definitely
going to be improving is the owner's section (a little more details and pics of the owners who are
willing to have pics posted), but any constructive criticism is more than welcome.

- Ernest

Ernest:

I'm just curious, how have the Bigha's been selling? Have you sold all in your first 250 bike
production run yet? Unlike a few on this board, I sincerely wish you and the company good luck
(even though I, most likely, won't be a near-term customer).

Brian

[email protected] (Ernest) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> And we do in fact ship overseas. I'm not involved on the sales side, but I believe that we shipped
> a bike out to someone in Germany (it was either Germany or Denmark). The only thing is that
> overseas orders are charged freight, which varies by country.

That was the Bentrideronline test bike sent to Bryan Ball in Germany.

> Are there any things about the site that you all think we can do better? One area we're definitely
> going to be improving is the owner's section (a little more details and pics of the owners who are
> willing to have pics posted), but any constructive criticism is more than welcome.

I miss the weblog the old site had. Overall the new website looks nicer.

Zach Kaplan

Ernest scribed with passion and wit:

> Hey Ian, thanks a lot for the feedback. The integrated lighting (inc. turn signals and a brake
> light) do make it very useful for in-city riding.
>
> And we do in fact ship overseas. I'm not involved on the sales side, but I believe that we shipped
> a bike out to someone in Germany (it was either Germany or Denmark). The only thing is that
> overseas orders are charged freight, which varies by country.
>
> Are there any things about the site that you all think we can do better? One area we're definitely
> going to be improving is the owner's section (a little more details and pics of the owners who are
> willing to have pics posted), but any constructive criticism is more than welcome.
>
> - Ernest
They are also charged duty, usually around 14% on the retail price plus shipping and then local VAT
on the total, which averages a further 17.5%.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Commercial use of the usenet is not proper and you are risking the loss of service by your ISP.
There are proper commercial channels to pander your lead sleds. "Ernest" <[email protected]>
> as in an entirely new Web site, and I'd love to hear the thoughts of the people in this
> group--positive and negative.
>
> In case you haven't been there before, the site is at http://www.bigha.com
>
> A warning in advance, if you're using an older version browser the site is probably going to look
> weird. We tried to be as inclusive as possible (tested against Internet Explorer 6 for Win/5 for
> Mac, Mozilla for Win, and Safari for Mac), but we just couldn't deliver the experience we wanted
> to deliver and still accomodate older browsers. Apologies in advance to you hold outs out there.
>
> But anyone who's seen the old site will be happy to hear that we completely did away with Flash!
>
> - Ernest

harv scribed with passion and wit:

> Commercial use of the usenet is not proper and you are risking the loss of service by your ISP.
> There are proper commercial channels to pander your lead sleds.
Don't be so anal.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Ernest,

Looks good. The only nit I could find to pick was in the "frame" description. The first "coated" in the second sentence shouldn't be there.

Other than that, I liked the presentation.

Makes me wish I had bought a Kia instead of the Excursion....NOT.
-

1st off, what a load of ****. 2nd, you have now wasted more peoples time and energy and bandwidth
with your useless whining and added nothing productive to this group. A bit oxymorinish don't you
think? And now I am doing it too, see what happens?

WTF!