I hate Winter...

jan_nienaber

Feb 23, 2005
Good day folks

I spent the first part of my life in South Africa and moved to Canada about 10 years ago. Only managed to get back into riding for about 3 months now. Winters on the Western Seaboard of Canada never bugged me before, but now that I am riding again - ugh! Rain, rain, rain, and temperatures around 5 degrees C (thats about 39 F I think).

Anybody have some advice for me - for instance, what brands / types of weatherproof gear should I get (that won't smother me in heat after 5 minutes training)? I have managed to get at least some of my fitness level back and I REALLY don't want to lose it again - but I find that I start thinking up excuses NOT to go on my daily ride when it is miserable outside (which is going to be my fate for the next 6 months or so...)

All opinions / advice welcome!
-- Jan in BC, Canada

Hi Jan, might seem a bit rich coming from someone in New Zealand with our reasonably temperate climate but I did spend 4 years in Waiouru (the rear end of NZ). Some tips given to me at the time were:

- Aim for warm not dry. If its raining and you are outside for longer than 30mins you are going to get wet unless you are wearing a full length rubbish sack. Wear clothes that will keep you dry when you are wet.
- When you start your ride you should be cold. No matter how breathable a fabric is if you are warm when you start you will be cooking in 20mins.
- Arm warmers/Leg warmers/Under helmet scull cap/Windproof vest are great for versatilaty. Small enough to put in your jersay pockets when things heat up and surprisingly effective at keeping you warm.
- Last one, I have full length cycling gloves that are just a little bit too big. That way I can wear fingerless ones underneath and peel them off if required. Booties rock too, cold extremities suck big time.

I'm sure others from colder climates will chip in with specific articles of clothing and other tips but thats my 2 cents.

Winter: Glad its 7 months away:p

EmPat said:
Winter: Glad its 7 months away:p
OOH... That hurt!
:p But thanks for the advice, EmPat. January / February / March is the worst months out here temperature wise. I have no idea how the people in Ontario, Saskatchewan, Manitoba etc cope. Guess that is what skiing is for!!

jan_nienaber said:
...All opinions / advice welcome!...
Ride indoors on a trainer for an hour or two per training day. Nope, it's not a lot of fun but the training value for time invested is hard to beat and it's better than frostbite or having my front wheel slide out on black ice. Winters are long and cold here with subzero(farenheit) temps pretty common from November through March so indoor riding combined with skiing (cross country skating, classic or backcountry ski mountaineering) is about all I can do.

-Dave