i have 2 older bikes that need maintanance

luism

Sep 9, 2012
are products like Palmolive soap at home safe to wash the bike from grease or this orange cleaner stuff?
cleaners like brake cleaners to clean the chain and cogs?
is it safe to spray the bike down with water to rinse the bike from the chemicals?

FWIW. Some people LOVE to use degreasers ... I'm not one of them. I recommend that you always start with the mildest solvent -- in other words, plain WATER ... If that doesn't remove the dirt, then use the "Palmolive" dishwashing detergent dissovled in some water ... If THAT doesn't work, make it a little stronger solution. Transition to WINDEX-or-simlar spray cleaner, next ... FORMULA 409 if you feel like dissolving unprotected decals, etc ... Mineral Spirits. next ... Degreaser or kerosene as a [COLOR=FF00AA]last resort[/COLOR], IMO.

thanks again. I think I try the Palmolive but the windex I think aint it acidic or something?

Originally Posted by alfeng

FWIW. Some people LOVE to use degreasers ...

I'm not one of them.
  • I recommend that you always start with the mildest solvent -- in other words, plain WATER ...

If that doesn't remove the dirt, then use the "Palmolive" dishwashing detergent dissovled in some water ...

If THAT doesn't work, make it a little stronger solution.

Transition to WINDEX-or-simlar spray cleaner, next ...

FORMULA 409 if you feel like dissolving unprotected decals, etc ...

Mineral Spirits. next ...

Degreaser or kerosene as a last resort, IMO.

I think that most soaps & detergents are on the OTHER SIDE of neutral.