I HAVE A NEW BIKE!!!

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hey, y'all![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]For those of you that don't follow the Perils of Sierra, lol, I was in need of a new bike because my daughter's had been stolen. She commutes to work on it daily, and some douchebag with a bolt cutter stole her bike from the parking lot where she works, out of the middle of 40 other bikes. Grrrrrrr... Anyway, she can't afford a new one right now because she's moving and paying all the first-and-last, security deposits, etc, associated with that. So I gave her my bike (which she will now keep in the office where she works) -- which left me bikeless with 4 weeks until my upcoming credit-card tour! So bike-shopping I went , with a backup plan of 'borrowing' my bike back if I couldn't find one I like for the tour. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Sierra is now in love.... (Mind you, this isn't a serious bike for 'serious cyclists' who count how many ounces their water bottle weighs and who race up the Pyranees on their bikes on weekends. But for my kind of riding, which is to take time to see the beauty of the areas I bike in, this is a great bike. And I think she's lovely.) What do you think??[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]She's an Electra Amsterdam Royal with an 8-speed internal gear hub, front hub generator-powered headlight, chain guard, skirt guard, and rear rack. I'll have to think of a Dutch name for her. In the meantime, I'll just call her.... pretty. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thats the "Tour DeForce". Very nice classic designs with modern flair.

"Douchebag" you been hanging around here to much.....

For some reason I missed the bike theft. That sucks! The last bike I had stolen was in 1973 in front of St Anns Hospital. I let my brother use it to go pick up his paycheck. I still remind him how much I miss my Schwinn Varsity. I went six years before I got another bike because I discovered the Automobile. OH well.

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks, Dave![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Because my daughter's bike was very pretty and feminine (metallic pink) in the midst of a sea of understated gray and blue bikes, we think maybe it was stolen as a Mother's Day gift, since no other bikes were taken that day. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]So if any of you ladies out there get a pink Townie with black fenders for Mother's Day.... They don't come that way, and we want it back!! [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/nonono2.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]But I do like my new baby..... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drool.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)][SIZE= 12px]and we want it back!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
That would mean you get your old bike back and you have to sell or return the
new one! ?

BTW, that is the ugliest bike I have ever seen! You won't have to lock it up!
Friends don't let friends ride ugly bikes. It is so ugly it repeals water!
I wouldn't buy my ex-wife one of those!

You do know I am yanking your cord??

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I knew instantly you were yanking my cord -- and it's a good thing, for you!! I'd have had to put a smack-down on ya, Brad. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

That looks really cool Sierra!! I'm sorry to hear your daughter's bike was stolen.

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks, Crocosis![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I think she's lovely. And if she continues to feel as good as she did today during the test drive, we'll have a long and happy relationship, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]My daughter's bike theft really is frustrating. She's single -- by choice -- because she likes her independence, but that also means she doesn't have a double income to help with bills and emergencies like this. Her apartment was broken into a couple years ago, and every piece of jewelry she owned was stolen along with other items. I've been giving her one nice jewelry piece a year since she was 12, so many of them had immense sentimental value as well as the monetary cost. So it seems like she's had her share of greedy people taking what doesn't belong to them. The bike had been a gift to her from Dear Hubby, so it also was sentimental to her, and it especially bugged her that her bike was the only one stolen of the 40 in the parking lot. It all boils down to one thing:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Mean and greedy people SUCK. So there. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]They'll probably get away with it, legally, since I doubt we'll ever see it again. But I personally believe there is Someone who watches and knows what people do. And I think he rides bikes, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Have a good one.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Where does your daughter live because I definitely don't want to live there. If you can get your bike stolen out of the parking lot and your apartment broken into, it will be on my list of places not to go. Apparently there are a lot of mean nasty people there.

You do have a pretty bike but in my humble opinion, that big honking saddle might be better suited to a motorcycle. You need to put a nice honey colored Brooks B17 on it. Other than that, it looks nice and elegant.

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks, KD and Paramount![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]KD, my daughter lives in Sacramento. I wasn't tooooo surprised when her apartment was broken into, because she can't afford the ritzy ones, though the place certainly looked nice enough and wasn't anywhere I would worry about -- until that happened! But the parking lot her bike was stolen from was at UCD Medical Center, where she works, and is a lot in plain sight of tons of office windows! It takes guts to steal a bike when dozens of people could be watching you out their windows. Geeez!! We have since learned that Sacramento is one of the bike-theft capitals of the country, because it has such nice bike trails and so many college kids use them. The policeman's advice? "Get an ugly bike that nobody wants." Gee, thanks. Those are fun to ride, LOL! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I have looked several times at the Brooks B17 saddle, and am thinking about it. It just looks so HARD, though. Are saddles really supposed to be rock hard so they pinch tender fleshy parts against the bones? I admit it's really pretty, but owwwwwwwwww. Maybe I need a recumbent, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I'll think about it. I haven't ridden the 'big honking' saddle enough yet to know how it feels![/COLOR][/SIZE]

You got your Danish looking bike after all. Congratulations, it looks very cool. And you did a very nice thing giving your "old" bike to your daughter. Now go out and ride your bike so you can train for that credit card tour.

A name for a bike? I would never name a bike except for it's brand name given to it. BUT, being you always wanted a Danish bike, and since it's a women's bike, why not a female Danish name like say Johanna. Look the meaning up.

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hi, Froze![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks for the suggestion! Love the name -- and the meaning. (I actually knew before I looked it up!) I've already been looking at Danish/Dutch names for her. Johannah is in the top few I'm ruminating about now, and the final decision will be based on her 'personality' after I've ridden her for a few days.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I actually went to the bike shop to order a different but similar bike that they didn't have in stock -- until she caught my eye. I think she's gorgeous! The only thing better would be if she weren't white; I just prefer more color, though the classic pearl is growing on me fast. But it was the test ride that sold me on her; more comfy than I've been on a bike in a long, long time. She's a little heavier than my Raleigh, I think, which may be why she's so comfy. Hopefully that will just help me build muscle and burn more calories. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]And although I love the look of the skirt guards on the rear wheel, I'll probably remove those, at least for the tour, because if there's a side wind they make great sails, lol. But she makes me want to ride on her in a ruffly skirt and pretty hat and scarf, lol, so I'll feel a little incongruous in my bike clothes, which aren't nearly as elegant as she is. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Some things comes with a price, though. The hub-generator-operated light that I thought was a great idea, it turns out, makes it difficult to mount a basket there! And there's nowhere for a water bottle, other than on the handlebars, which would look pretty clunky to me. The mechanic at the LBS said we could work on both problems, and that he could move the light and install a basket for a little more cash. Sigh.... and then there's the rear rack bag I want that's nearly $100..... I may have to come out of retirement to fix her up, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]It's supposed to rain tomorrow, or we would be going for our first long ride. Hopefully on Monday! Until then...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks again, and happy pedaling.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Wow! Congrats on your new baby. May you lots of long, comfortable rides... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks, Irongirl![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I decided to answer your other post to me on this thread, because the "just finished my first 10-mile ride" thread is so old. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]You said[/COLOR], "I SURVIVED! I made the entire 17.5 mile loop. I won't tell you how long it took. I won't tell you that I stopped once and literally had a fit (I cried because I was tired and worried I wouldn't make it back to my car - I wasn't going to walk that bike back, that's for sure.) I won't tell you that I had to walk a couple of monster hills, either.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]I will tell you that the cyclists who were out in force yesterday on the course are the most uplifting, supportive group I've ever seen. the chorus of "keep it up, you're doing great" was really helpful, as it was to hear "this is a really tough course" from the people who passed by asking if I was okay when I stopped (I responded that it was my first time on that course and I'm fairly new to cycling). I will also tell you that my padded shorts arrived on Friday - not a minute too soon... and that we managed to get the seat adjusted higher which completely eliminated my knee pain. I have one slightly irritated spot near the unmentionables and my left thumb is a little sore from shifting the gears but thankfully otherwise I am PAIN FREE.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]The plan is to do a brick (the road course plus the 5k run course) every Sunday between now and the event. I do realize I'll have to get out more but this month's focus is my running, next month it's more about riding. But I really enjoyed the ride (when I wasnt crying, of course). You all may make a cyclist out of me yet :D " [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I remember my first 15-mile ride; it took me nearly 3 MONTHS to get to that -- so look how you just left me in the dust. WAY TO GO! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]It doesn't matter how long it takes, at first (though I do know you're doing a triathlon). Speed comes gradually as your body gets used to the exercise. I first started out at about 9 mph, and dying. Today I did 14 mph nearly the entire way, without trying; I was actually surprised when I looked and was going that speed, because a couple months ago, I averaged 12. I don't try to speed up, other than doing intervals. It just happens gradually, and it will for you, too. So just ride, Forrest, ride, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]You have no idea how glad I am that I'm not the only one who has ever cried from exhaustion and frustration during a bike ride. When I did my first 30-miler last week, I was in tears, or near them, for nearly the last 3 miles. It happens when we women push our bodies harder than we've ever pushed them before. And you're doing your first long ride on HILLS. Unbelievable. You're a rock star, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]And you're right. Most cyclists are the nicest, most supportive people. I'm very self-conscious when I ride, aware of what my body looks like in bike jerseys, and it's very obvious to anyone riding by that I'm out of shape and don't belong in the same category with the ones who are zooming by me. But I can't even count the number of encouraging comments I've received as they go by, and the 'thumbs up" signals. It's like they see you struggling, and they just want to help you to make to to the next fitness level so you can be healthier (and slimmer) like they are. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]So keep up the awesome work! The important thing is to get in that saddle every day, if you can, even for a little while. Let the body get used to the feel of the seat and the motion of the legs. My first few rides, I wasn't comfortable almost at all. Today I'm pretty comfy on the bike for the first 60-90 minutes before the bottom and legs start complaining again. My plan is to get it used to riding for 2 hours a day until that's not a major physical burden, and then work on increasing speed and distance in that amount of time. I'll do that about every other day, and then swim and/or lift weights the off days. It make take me 2 years before I'm actually at the weight I'm aiming for.... but in 2 years, I'll be that much older whether I've gotten healthier or not, so who cares how long it takes? [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I'm sitting here with a smile on my face, as proud of you as if you were my daughter, lol. If you could see me, you'd know I'm giving you a standing O.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Sierra[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Belated congratulations, Sierra. I'll have to check in here more often, just to keep up with you. She's beautiful, a cool Dutch bike! I don't know if you've checked out the Lovely Bicycle! blog, but you should. This is one type of bike that gets discussed (and appreciated) there. Anyway, will you take this on your tour? (I'm assuming yes) Regarding the saddle, actually the Brooks B17 ( I have one on my Rivendell) is more for a drop-bar position. Brooks makes other saddles more suited to upright riding as on your new bike. But you may find that you like the existing saddle just fine. And the blog I just mentioned above has an excellent post on womens' saddle issues (blog is written by a woman and the article is very "honest" so be warned; but do read it). Velo Orange (another of my favorite companies) makes their own line of saddles which are similar to Brooks and slightly less money. They have one with springs. Folks here (and probably on the Touring subforum) can advise you on racks 'n sacks. There are lots available, and yes, most are expensive. But it's cool that you got a hub generator. So enjoy your new bike and keep up your good training!
Steve

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I have looked several times at the Brooks B17 saddle, and am thinking about it. It just looks so HARD, though. Are saddles really supposed to be rock hard so they pinch tender fleshy parts against the bones? I admit it's really pretty, but owwwwwwwwww. Maybe I need a recumbent, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
Brooks saddles have a "break in" period that takes a little time... and I'm not sure if you break the saddle in or if the saddle breaks you in. They require maintenance for which there's a handy dandy maintenance kit - proofhide, fancy cloth, spanner, books on how to maintain it, water proof saddle cover etc etc...

For some reason they seem to be much more popular in the US than they did back in England - not sure why... Probably for the same reason that Ye Olde Worlde Renaissance Faires are more popular here.

I tried a Brooks Colt after a bad experience with a Selle Italia Turbo saddle back in the day and too be honest, after a month it started to feel a bit better than sitting on a lump of wood hacked into the shape of a saddle with a blunt axe - but not by much. That said, it was more comfortable than the Turbo that it replaced...

The newer Swift looks quite 'dashing' but I'm guessing you'll be looking at a model more suited for the ladies ;)

http://www.brooksengland.com/en/Shop_ProductPage.aspx?cat=editions+-+Seasonal+Editions&prod=B18+Lady+Raspberry+%26+Grips

Not sure those grips would work for you though.

Some people swear by them... Horses for courses I guess.

Hey Slim! :)

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. Yesterday was run day... and lo and behold as I was running the slowest 5K in RECORDED history, a long, lean guy in a bike jersey and shorts came running by. He slowed down long enough to ask if I was on the bike course the day before (me (tentatively) ".... Yes") .... He replied "You're doing good - keep it up!" and then jogged off. Color me VERKLEMPT.

I actually can't wait to go back out for another ride. I'd love to tackle the big hill near my house but I realize I'm not quite ready for that one yet... but we'll see....

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]IronGirl,[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Didn't I TELL you cyclists were sweet? I love how encouraging they are to people like us that they could just do laps around, blind-folded and hobbled. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I did 15 miles today. Had planned 20-25, but it was so windy I got too tired and was afraid I wouldn't be able to make it back home. Plus I'm trying for another 30-miler on Thursday, and don't want to overdo ahead of time and be too tired to get there. I hope it's not windy then!! It's the only time I wish I had a road bike instead of my upright, because I would be less of a sail. Oh, well...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Keep up the good work! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Steve![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I think she's pretty, too. I just hope it wasn't too non-practical a choice. I still haven't decided whether to take her on the tour or not. She's definitely more comfortable than the Raleigh was, for me, and I find myself going faster on her than I did on it, generally. But that's until the wind starts, and then I wish I had a tiny bike -- and a tinier ME, lol. I'm taking her on what will hopefully be a 30-mile ride on Thursday, and see how that goes. If it goes okay, then I'll take her on the tour. If not, I'll keep training and see. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I don't know if I'm coming down with a bug or just over-stressed by the move to Phoenix, the upcoming tour, helping my daughter move, etc., but I'm just feeling really wiped out this week, so the training isn't going as well as I had hoped. I did 15 miles today, but had planned to do 20-25; with the wind, I just totally ran out of gas. And it's supposed to rain most of next week! ARRRGGGH!! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I did check out the Lovely BIcycle blog, and loved it!! Will be reading a lot there. And I read the post on women's issues, which was very helpful. I'm so glad SOMEBODY is un-embarrassed enough to tackle those sensitive subjects. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I have found some lovely leather bags and accessories for her... now all I have to do is be able to afford them, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]As always, thanks for the input. You provide great links!! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Swampy,[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I loved the look of that red saddle you provided the link for ! Had me drooling a little. Now if it was just as comfortable as it is pretty.....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Your description of 'breaking in' saddles made me laugh and cry at the same time. Sometimes I feel like I'M the one that's broken, there. It's enough to make me consider one of those snub-nosed saddles you see advertised. I was hoping that by the time I'd been biking this long I would have found the right saddle by now.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I did move it backward about half an inch, today, which helped some with the 'posterior' pain. Now to work on the front part....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Your posts always give me a chuckle. Thanks![/COLOR][/SIZE]