I have a problem with my kidney can someone give me your opinion?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Tshuford, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Tshuford

    Tshuford Guest

    I've had CML (Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia) in 1984, had a bone marrow transplant in Seattle and
    cured by 1989.

    But that experience made me realize how wrong doctors can be sometimes.

    In September 2003, I suddenly had a kidney infection. I was put in the small hospital for a week and
    it cleared up. Then I went to my Dr. a week later and told him I was having problems urinating. He
    ordered an
    IVP. 2 weeks went by and his nurse called and said we see a mass, they said I needed to see a
    urologist asap. I was moving the next day several states away but as soon as I arrived I got in
    with a urologist. He looked at the IVP I had brought with me and said your left kidney has been
    abnormal since birth. He showed me the x-ray and you could see the inside lining of the kidney
    had little dugout places. So He went in and cleaned out the bladder and put a stint in the
    ureter. It stayed in a month. He removed it right before Christmas. My urination had gotten to
    the point I had to go every 15 to 30 min. and I couldn't hold it but once the stint was removed
    it began funtioning more normal. It's now the 27th of January and it has flared up again. I am
    urinating constantly and no control. I have blood in my urine. Sometimes moist and sometimes
    clots. But my urologist says as bad as my kidney was, I should expect this over the next
    several months. Oh yes, when I had my kidney infection I learned my blood sugar was high. I
    have family history of diabetes. But I've been monitoring it and as long as I eat no carbs or
    starches, it stays in the normal range. I also have high blood pressure. Does anyone have any
    opinions? Please comment.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Burns

    Tom Burns Guest

    tshuford wrote:
    > I've had CML (Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia) in 1984, had a bone marrow transplant in Seattle and
    > cured by 1989.
    >
    > But that experience made me realize how wrong doctors can be sometimes.
    >
    > In September 2003, I suddenly had a kidney infection. I was put in the small hospital for a week
    > and it cleared up. Then I went to my Dr. a week later and told him I was having problems
    > urinating. He ordered an
    > IVP. 2 weeks went by and his nurse called and said we see a mass, they said I needed to see a
    > urologist asap. I was moving the next day several states away but as soon as I arrived I got
    > in with a urologist. He looked at the IVP I had brought with me and said your left kidney has
    > been abnormal since birth. He showed me the x-ray and you could see the inside lining of the
    > kidney had little dugout places. So He went in and cleaned out the bladder and put a stint in
    > the ureter. It stayed in a month. He removed it right before Christmas. My urination had
    > gotten to the point I had to go every 15 to 30 min. and I couldn't hold it but once the stint
    > was removed it began funtioning more normal. It's now the 27th of January and it has flared
    > up again. I am urinating constantly and no control. I have blood in my urine. Sometimes moist
    > and sometimes clots. But my urologist says as bad as my kidney was, I should expect this over
    > the next several months. Oh yes, when I had my kidney infection I learned my blood sugar was
    > high. I have family history of diabetes. But I've been monitoring it and as long as I eat no
    > carbs or starches, it stays in the normal range. I also have high blood pressure. Does anyone
    > have any opinions? Please comment.

    I'm not an MD but as a professional diabetic, I urge you to get a full diabetes workup including
    glucose tolerance testing. You high blood pressure is also a concern with both the diabetes and
    especially renal function. It is also highly unlikely that you can keep your blood sugar levels
    anywhere near the normal range over a period of time. Spot testing will not be that conclusive. You
    need a glycosolated hemaglobin test to see what your blood sugar average is over a 3 month period.