I have a roomate from HELL ! Need Help !

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and my landlord just shoves in another roomate whenever the older one moves out. So far, I'v had a programmer and two doctors as roomates and they 3 have been good experiences. I learned stuff talking to them and they never stole stuff from my open room or my food. Now, my lastest roomate is a nightmare. He doesn't have a car because of bad driving, he said his mom is a Whole Foods Executive, and he lives in Austin Texas. The 1st week he was with me I helped him grocery and thought we'd get along fine. Well the weekend he went home to Austin I noticed a lot of my stuff missing - a Fuji S9000 camera, battery quick charger, 3 computer science books, etc... - stuff worth $1090. I filed a police report and claimed on my renters insurance but only got $336 from State Farm (after $500 deductable). And I really beleive it was an inside job theft and strongly beleive it was my new roomate's fault. Well, now I put all my possesion in my small crowded room and I bought two doors locks to always keep it locked. The only now he can steal is my food - and now he's done that too! I threatened him to pay me $800 or I'll call the cops on him and he said just go ahead. So I will call the cops when he's home because nowadays he's trying to be so scarce.

What else can I do to get my money back?

Have any of you had bad experiences with a roomate? What happened and what did you do?

JTE83 said:
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and my landlord just shoves in another roomate whenever the older one moves out. So far, I'v had a programmer and two doctors as roomates and they 3 have been good experiences. I learned stuff talking to them and they never stole stuff from my open room or my food. Now, my lastest roomate is a nightmare. He doesn't have a car because of bad driving, he said his mom is a Whole Foods Executive, and he lives in Austin Texas. The 1st week he was with me I helped him grocery and thought we'd get along fine. Well the weekend he went home to Austin I noticed a lot of my stuff missing - a Fuji S9000 camera, battery quick charger, 3 computer science books, etc... - stuff worth $1090. I filed a police report and claimed on my renters insurance but only got $336 from State Farm (after $500 deductable). And I really beleive it was an inside job theft and strongly beleive it was my new roomate's fault. Well, now I put all my possesion in my small crowded room and I bought two doors locks to always keep it locked. The only now he can steal is my food - and now he's done that too! I threatened him to pay me $800 or I'll call the cops on him and he said just go ahead. So I will call the cops when he's home because nowadays he's trying to be so scarce.

What else can I do to get my money back?

Have any of you had bad experiences with a roomate? What happened and what did you do?
You need to talk to your landlord. You need to get some of the particulars in the background report that the landlord presumably has on your new roommate ...

There is SOME liability on the part of the landlord regardless of what the lease may say -- "negligence" on the part of the landlord comes to mind; but, you may be opening-a-can-of-worms if you push too hard and/or there is simply the expense of legal action in small claims court which probably won't turn out well for you since you don't have iron-clad proof ...

Contact the consumer reporter at one of your local TV stations and ask her/him how something like this should be handled IF the landlord does not evict the guy ... or, even if he does!

Contact his mother! Go to the Whole Foods (well, there's what SOME might describe as a "sleazy organization") directory to figure out how to contact her. If you can't figure it out, ask their HR department (indicate the son's name to them since she may have a different "professional" name) to relay a message for you to her. Explain what has transpired and ask her if there is anything that she knows about her son's history (e.g., juvenille record) which might make her believe that she should therefore make amends to you if she is an honorable person ...

If he is gainfully employed, contact his employer's HR department ... indicate that you are not trying to cause trouble, but that you want to warn them of a potential problem to watch out for.

If the new roommate is a student, contact his school and do likewise.

Contact the local District Attorney's office + the one in Austin (and/or the Attorney General's office) and ask them if you have any recourse in the Justice system beyond the Police report.

Tea-bag him while he's sleeping, take a photo, and distribute it on the internet. That will ruin his life forever...

I say, get a survalence camera for inside your room, turn it on when your not there, and if you see him some how breaks into your room.

I would just get a one bedroom apartment or offer to rent the entire apartment yourself and pay the additional rent. I think it is kind of strange that you can rent a place and have the landlord stick anybody else in there as your roomate. almost sounds like a college dorm.

Lock your doors.

Invest in a cheap security camera system. These days you can use webcams that are motion activated to monitor room movement. Its a small room so it'll be very effective and its inexpensive too.

$1000 is heaps. But before you go around pointing fingers, make sure its really him. I seriously doubt anyone can be so stupid as to steal from their own flat mate. Its almost a case of 2 guys in an elevator and one of them farts.

I know a guy that avoided having roomates. He would lay naked around his dorm room. This disturbed anyone that was placed with him enough that they would move out.

jhuskey said:
I know a guy that avoided having roomates. He would lay naked around his dorm room. This disturbed anyone that was placed with him enough that they would move out.
Ewwwwww, thats disgusting, I would move out too.:p

I got my current Apt by not lying about my felony. It was through Craigslist from an independent landlord who was just maybe a little bit desperate to rent out his place so he wouldn't lose money. Problem is, maybe he rents to just about anyone including criminals, so I don't know who I live with.

$1000 = 1 week pay for me, but it still hurts!

Well, I guess this thread shows you can't trust roommates and you should lock up your room! Maybe next time I won't room with someone.

Why don't you just tell your Landlord that you don't want a roommate. If he says no Turkey Slap him! Rofl.

Move, pack up your stuff and find a new place to live or buy a camera. I once had a roommate who would stare at his socks for 10 minutes every morning, I also had one that spoke no english, but I never had one that stole. Has he touched your bike. Because there are some things that can not under any circumstances be touched. You could also put liquid cement on your stuff and see how many things are stuck to him when you get home.

I'm glad he didn't touch my $3818 Kestrel Talon, and I'm glad I never told him it's an expensive bike!

It seems like everything he told me about himself was a lie. Like his mom being an Executive or him having a GI Bill or $21K cash. So why was he expecting a student loan check?

JTE83 said:
I'm glad he didn't touch my $3818 Kestrel Talon, and I'm glad I never told him it's an expensive bike!

It seems like everything he told me about himself was a lie. Like his mom being an Executive or him having a GI Bill or $21K cash. So why was he expecting a student loan check?

Gee. I'm shocked you didn't tell him the price in your dubiously prized bike collection.

He's a liar, and you assault perfect strangers. Maybe it was fate that brought you together.

oh, this guy is getting bad now... The landlord is trying to contact him because he hasn't paid this month's rent ($370) and he doesn't answer his phone. Plus I don't see him around often now that I've threatened to call the cops on him.

Why do you guys expect bad karma for me? I'm just a good guy that happens to be a felon! And I go to church every Sunday!

Yeah, it's really hard for a felon to get an APT here in Houston, TX. So I enjoyed living here but don't wanna stay here. Didn't bike much this summer because it was hot, humid, or raining. But I see a lot of Cervelos down here...

JTE83 said:
oh, this guy is getting bad now... The landlord is trying to contact him because he hasn't paid this month's rent ($370) and he doesn't answer his phone. Plus I don't see him around often now that I've threatened to call the cops on him.

Why do you guys expect bad karma for me? I'm just a good guy that happens to be a felon! And I go to church every Sunday!

Yeah, it's really hard for a felon to get an APT here in Houston, TX. So I enjoyed living here but don't wanna stay here. Didn't bike much this summer because it was hot, humid, or raining. But I see a lot of Cervelos down here...
Maybe you could move on over to Tucson, Arizona and go to work for a scientist who rides a Moots!:rolleyes: