I have a Surly LHT and am looking for a second bike....

surlygirly

Jun 24, 2012
Hi Friends,

New to the site! After years of riding an old Raleigh that was comfortable and upright, but heavy and slow, I splurged on a Surly LHT (26" wheels) and just finished my first 30-day trip! Needless to say, I've fallen in love with cycling, but still consider myself a relative newbie to the intimidating bike-buying world. Here's the stitch: as much as I love my Surly LHT, I'd like to add a second bike to my quiver, one that will allow me to ride lighter, faster, unloaded, and possibly in an upright position. I live in an area with a lot of paved bicycle trails and I would love to hit them with nothing more than my camelback. I think what I am looking for is an entry-level road bike (Giant Defy 2?) or a fitness sports bike (Jamis Sport Coda?). The Giant Defy 2, which is at the absolute limit of what I'm willing to spend on a second bike (it's just over 1K I think), seems to be a lot of bike for the money and something different enough from my Surly to potentially make it worth the investment. The Jamis Sport Coda, though, has a much more appealing price point and has upright handlebars (the only thing I really miss about my old Raleigh). But is the Jamis Sport too similar to the Surly LHT to make it worth the investment? Are there other good entry-level road bikes out there (perhaps with flat-bar handlebars) that are $700-$1,000?

Of course, it goes without saying, that I need to hie myself over to my LBS and just try some of these buggers out (the best bike is the one that feels best, right?). I will certainly be doing that, but it would be great to hear from all y'all too. Any advice regarding the above or other models would be most appreciated.

Bestest.

The first thing you need to try and do is figure out what style of bike you really do want - road bike with drop handlebars or a bike with a set of flat bars for cruising around.

If you have the LHT with the 26" wheels I'm guessing that you're fairly small, I'd recommend looking at women specific fit bikes - they tend to have slightly shorter top tubes and the head tube is often a little higher too. Other things like saddles and handlebar widths are slightly different to those found on guys bikes because woman often prefer a slightly wider saddle but slightly narrower bars.

Of course the other option is to put a slightly shorter stem on your Surly LHT to bring the bars back towards you and maybe even chose one with a bit more of an upward tilt. If you rarely ride fully loaded then you could change the tires to something more suited for faster road riding. Continental do the Grand Prix 4000 and Grand Prix 24mm in 26" sizes.

Thanks so much for the response. Yes, drop bars vs. flat bar is definitely what I'm trying to figure out. I don't think I want to revamp my Surly. It was perfect for my recent tour and I'll be heading out on another 10 day trip next week. You're right about my size, I'm just a hair under 5'0" and my Surly is 48. I will definitely look at some women specific bikes too. Thanks again.

How about simply lacing a set of 650B rims on hubs which are appropriate for your SURLY LHT?

• you could buy a set of 'economy' 650B wheels on eBay

ALSO, how about simply adding a second set of handlebars + stem + shifters (and/or front derailleur if necessary)?

BTW. I have previously recommended the JAMIS CODA ...

The obvious difference from your Surly LHT is the 700c wheel size ...

Even the smallest Jamis Coda may have too tall a standover for you ... if standover matters to you ...

• unloaded bikes can simply be leaned over when you stop
  • OR (when riding in an urban area), place your right foot on the curb.