I have just begun road biking and I need to know some training tips on long distance.

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by mdquik, Jan 2, 2007.

1. mdquik

mdquik New Member

So I have got my new road bike and this is a hobby Im just starting out on. I road my new bike for about 25 miles and absolutely fell in love w/ it. So I would really like to do training for marathons, cancer rides, etc. and I need to know how to train myself on the road and the gym. I am going to be doing a two day 100 mile race in May I would like to know how I can finish by pacing myself and finishing in good time. So any help or tips would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Completing a long distance ride is mostly about refueling I use about one fifth gatorade with one or more teaspoons of raw honey on cool days I use more raw honey because I don't drink as much. If there are significant hills involved then drafting will not help you and the cycling geeks will pull away from the slower riders. If you want to perform better than the average rider training at higher intensities will be necessary.

L2 Endurance all day pace where your breathing just begins to pick up but you could continue for 5 or more hours at that pace. L3 Tempo seems to be limited to around 3 hours. L4 is Threshold at high L4 105% FTP Time trail pace its painful and you're toast within an hour, at 100% painful but a little more sustainable. L5 VO2 Max 5 minutes and you need recovery in L1 Active Recovery or L2 Endurance for about the same amount of time depending on how high into L5 you were. L6 Anerobic Capacity about one minute. L7 Nuero Muscular Power about a 15 second sprint. There are combinations of these zones also ie if you stay between High L3 and low L4 (Sweet Spot Training or SST) you can go more than an hour and get the benefits of L4 most importantly raising FTP (Functional Threshold Power or hour power)

To raise FTP as you train ask yourself am I going to fast to take a swig from my water bottle right now? If the answer is yes back off a little. Then ask am I going so slow that I could take a swig without having to take three quick breaths before it? If the answer is yes pick up the pace a little. Once you find this semi comfortable hurt zone after about 20 minutes of this check your HRM that is probably your sweet spot (low L4 91% FTP) plus or minus 5 bpm. Do 3x20s every other day at this pace. L2 endurance is a waste of time try to stay high L3 Tempo (always pushing takes a little concentration to maintain it and prevent slipping back to L2) or above whenever possible. Just get in that zone and check your cadence, gear combo and then HRM. Use cadence and gear combo for the first 15 minutes then in the last 5 minutes HRM should be on target. Right now 52/21 at 94 rpm is SST for me on the KK. Or even better If you are not ready to spend big on a power meter just get the Kurt Kinetic Road machine with the speed to power computer it is only $324. http://www.1upusa.com/kurtkinetictrainer.htm it is worth it and a great motivator. Andy's book is a good idea. http://www.amazon.com/Training-Raci...ie=UTF8&s=books

3. sparkywowo

sparkywowo New Member

"The Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills and Confidence to Ride as Far as you Want" by Burke and Pavelka (Bicycling Magazine) is aimed at recreational riders (not race riders or competitive athletes). Page 122 is a layout of "Training for 50 miles", which, is a 6-12 week program. Pages 8-10 describe how to use your Heart Rate Monitor for Training. These two sections, plus p. 126 "Nutritional Adjustments" provide core knowledge.

4. JeffreyJ

JeffreyJ New Member

Just ride more. In the spring and summer months I shoot for 2 or 3 fast paced 30 mile rides and 1 longer distance ride of 50+ miles. The weeks before a century I up my distance ride to until I reach a solid 75 miles. This will prepare you legs and more importantly you butt. And +1 top the refueling.

5. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

This is an extremely open ended question, and you're going to get a whole mess load of answers. The best answer is to ride more and read more. For beginning road biking, just getting out and riding more will give you a lot of confidence and improvement from the start. The more you read, here and in books, you'll find a ton of ways to train that fit your goals and budget.

That being said - the most important thing you can do in training is set SMART goals.

(S)pecific
    (M)easurable
    (A)ttainable
    (R)ealistic
    (T)angible

Good luck!

6. daniels

daniels New Member

Ride lots, and read a good book on the subject. The book recommended above (Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling) is excellent, in my opinion.

7. li rider

li rider New Member

I used the program in the book (more or less) to get ready for my first century 3 years ago.
    The key is to gradually increase your weekly mileage (10% more each week) AND include 1 long ride each week which also becomes longer as you go.

Also, learn to eat and drink as you go so that you do not bonk.

8. BottleCage

BottleCage New Member

I have this book too and I enjoyed reading it not too technical so you do not get bogged down. I have several other books but more technical.

Read it again laying in the hospital after Knee surgery this fall.

I would recommend it.