I have neck problems so I need my bars as high as possible. Stem suggestions??

veganheart

Jan 30, 2004
As I have neck problems I need my handle bars as high as possible. Okay maybe not too high! I need to find a fully adjustable stem for a one inch threadless fork. The bike is a road / hybrid. I am aware of the Look Ergo, but at $170.00 its beyond what i am willing to pay although it gives me the height I want. I've seen many stems at 130 degrees but i need more; 180 degrees would be good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Originally posted by veganheart
As I have neck problems I need my handle bars as high as possible. Okay maybe not too high! I need to find a fully adjustable stem for a one inch threadless fork. The bike is a road / hybrid. I am aware of the Look Ergo, but at $170.00 its beyond what i am willing to pay although it gives me the height I want. I've seen many stems at 130 degrees but i need more; 180 degrees would be good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
The Look Ergo is fully adjustable, both in length and height. Heavier than standard, but you can tune it. I do not have one, but the reviews have been very good. I know it is expensive, but I have not seen other options, other than stem risers, which look funny and might have other problems. Ebay occasionally has used Ergos.

Originally posted by veganheart

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Zoom Heads Up 2 stem riser with spacers:
http://www.zoomhl.com/products/heads_up2.htm
But I think it's only for 1-1/8" threadless steerer.

Dimension makes a high rise 1" stem in various lengths. They are not adjustable, but if you get the height and reach where you are comfortable, they may save some weight, money, and the risk of something else to come loose.

Check with Sheldon Brown. He says that it's OK to Shim from 1" to 1-1/8". He has some adjustable ones on his site:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=SM4002

You might also consider a high rise handle bar. Be careful that you don't put to much leverage up there and break something.

I know you don't have a threaded headset... but if you did you could get the periscopic nitto technomic.
That is what I have on my bike. It's really something.

in a similar off-topic vein, Terry makes a great, long quill, short extension, stem for 1" threaded.

I use the ASX-50 Handlebar riser on my Trek520. This device allows a 2" arc of adjustment in any direction. The riser attaches to your stem as a handlebar would. Your handlebar then attaches to your handlebar riser. You can purchase this device from precisiontandems.com for $50.

I have no affiliations with this company although I have the same last name. I recently purchased the ASX-50 from them. It works great for me.

Bill Johnson
Have a Great Ride

If your LBS has access to a QBP catalog, they should be able to order a Delta Stem Riser in 1".

I just ordered one for a customer so I know they're out there.