I have problems...

Bikelyst

Dec 29, 2006
Me, being me...I stupidly took my new Bianchi on streets that were still wet w/ snow and coated with a sloppy sand/salt mixture. I ran into problems after my first ride, and I new exactly why.

The sand/salt slop got into my 105 cassete, chainring, chain, derailure...everything. I haven't seemed to get it clean yet.

I wash it down with water, but that doesn't seem to get everything out. I let it dry and try to brush it off...to no avail. So, One day I just decided to take a Qtip and go in between all the chain links...I hoped that has worked on the chain.

Any tips for getting my 105 set clean???

Bikelyst said:
Any tips for getting my 105 set clean???
Take the chain off, put it in a bottle with some solvent, and shake. Using a SRAM or Connex snap link makes taking the chain on and off easy.

Or, if you don't want to take the chain off altogether, you can either (1) use a chain cleaner (like the one from Park Tools, for example); or (2) unhook the chain from the front chainring, dangle it below the cassette in a jar of cleaning solvent, and jiggle it about a bit.

Be sure to apply a suitable lubricant (like Pedro's Road Rage or Ice Wax) when done. I like Ice Wax, as it doesn't spray all over my chainstays when riding and it seems to do a good job at keeping the chain clean. Also, after each ride I take a paper towel to my chain (spinning the crank) to remove road grime, then re-lube. Takes about 60 seconds.

Both good suggestions.

As well as using a little bit of elbow grease - you could by a can of WD40 to assist cleaning the cassette, mech etc.

OldGoat said:
Or, if you don't want to take the chain off altogether, you can either (1) use a chain cleaner (like the one from Park Tools, for example); or (2) unhook the chain from the front chainring, dangle it below the cassette in a jar of cleaning solvent, and jiggle it about a bit.
I have not had much luck with on bike cleaners. For grit from rain or MTBing I have found you have get an amazing amount of grit out of your chain by putting it in a bottle and shaking the **** out of the thing.

Bro Deal said:
I have not had much luck with on bike cleaners. For grit from rain or MTBing I have found you have get an amazing anount of grit out of your chain by putting in a bottle and shaking the **** out of the thing.
I agree!
I would also take the cassette off and scrub it with solvent until it doesn't have dirt/grit left on it.
While the chain is off I would carefully clean the jocket wheels on the rear derailer and the chain rings. Once everything is really clean you can put the chain back on and carefully lubricate it. Wipe of any excess from the chain, cogs, jockey wheels, and chain rings.

Could I use a solvent such as Dawn dish detergent?

Sounds primitive I know, but if you see the way it took the grease off my bunt tins you woul....thats a different story.

And also, how would I detach my chain from the cassette etc...does it just snap off, because that sounds too easy.

Plus...is disassembling the cassette the only way to succesfuly clean it? And if so, how do I take the bloody thing off? I'm only a teenager so I wouldn't trust myself w/ something that vital, unless I knew what I was doing.

It seems like some of the problem areas are in the two smaller cogs (wheels w/ teeth on them) where the chain forms kind of an S shape just below the cassette.

It could just be that the chain is so ridiculously dirty it just backs it all up, any light on that fact would be helpful.

Use a solvent like kerosene or mineral spirits (paint thinner). If you don't want to take the chain off then try OldGoat's suggestion of dangling the chain in a bottle.

There was a recent thread about what you need to take your cassette off. Find that. Although you probably don't need to take the cassette off; you can probably make due with using the edge of a rag to clean between cogs.

Bro Deal said:
Use a solvent like kerosene or mineral spirits (paint thinner). If you don't want to take the chain off then try OldGoat's suggestion of dangling the chain in a bottle.

There was a recent thread about what you need to take your cassette off. Find that. Although you probably don't need to take the cassette off; you can probably make due with using the edge of a rag to clean between cogs.
Alright, thanks. I was a little worried about taking my cassette completely off.

More suggestions happily accepted.:)

Bikelyst said:
Alright, thanks. I was a little worried about taking my cassette completely off.

More suggestions happily accepted.:)
Sorry, I gotta keep this bumped up.:eek:

The other posters have just about covered it. Take off the chain or ' dangle it ' in a good solvent, or use a chain cleaning tool thingie. Then use the same solvent, applied liberally using an old paint brush, to your cassette. Then clean carefully with a rag (both the chain and the cassette), oil up and you are ready to ride.

Powerful Pete said:
The other posters have just about covered it. Take off the chain or ' dangle it ' in a good solvent, or use a chain cleaning tool thingie. Then use the same solvent, applied liberally using an old paint brush, to your cassette. Then clean carefully with a rag (both the chain and the cassette), oil up and you are ready to ride.
What would be considered a good solvent?....I heard something about paint thinner, but that sounds a little harsh. :(

Honestly, just start doing things on your own (sounds weird ey?). Try a few different things to clean the chain/cassette. You'll find your ways will work better for you. Personally, I take a brush, citrus degreaser, and a clean rag. I'll spray down my chain with the non-dilluted degreaser and start scrubbing with the brush. I'll spray it down again with some dilluted degreaser (saves on cost, trust me). Then I just run the chain through my rag a few times to get any excess degreaser/gunk off (also note that I do own one of the Park Tool chain cleaners; not a huge fan).

rudycyclist said:
Honestly, just start doing things on your own (sounds weird ey?). Try a few different things to clean the chain/cassette. You'll find your ways will work better for you. Personally, I take a brush, citrus degreaser, and a clean rag. I'll spray down my chain with the non-dilluted degreaser and start scrubbing with the brush. I'll spray it down again with some dilluted degreaser (saves on cost, trust me). Then I just run the chain through my rag a few times to get any excess degreaser/gunk off (also note that I do own one of the Park Tool chain cleaners; not a huge fan).
Ok, thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Trust me it helps.

I'll get cleaning tomorrow.;)

Bikelyst said:
What would be considered a good solvent?....I heard something about paint thinner, but that sounds a little harsh. :(
I now use whatever biodegradeable degreaser I can get on sale. Or Chanteclair (a degreaser we get here in the supermarket, don't know what the US equivalent would be, sorry).

AAAAAGh!! Sand is the worst! Me and my chain were covered in it a few weeks ago. The 'drive' was so gunked up that the gears started skipping on the way home!!

I ended up hanging the chain up outside and empyting a whole can of wd40 on it.

Honestly the best thing I have found is a can of valuecraft brake cleaner, you can pick it up at autozone and it is cheap. There is enough pressure in the can to blast all of the sand and dirt out of the casssette just remeber to regrease well becasue this will take off pretty all the lube but your cassette will look like it is brand new. Oh and get the valuecraft it is the cheapest but it is also the most pressurized from what I have found which really helps to get everything removed.

Wow! I did it!

WD40 worked great! (is it a bad thing if I think it smelled good? :p ).

The chain, cassette, chainrings, derailluers all look brand new!!! I am extatic!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for all of your help!!! Especially telling me how to clean the cassette.;)

Bikelyst said:
Wow! I did it!

WD40 worked great! (is it a bad thing if I think it smelled good? :p ).

The chain, cassette, chainrings, derailluers all look brand new!!! I am extatic!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for all of your help!!! Especially telling me how to clean the cassette.;)

Glad to read that the WD40 worked.