I have similar problem with the bike. for big guyz

I have been searching for nearly a year until I came across this
group.
I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
couldn't tell me anything.

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/site/1554167/page/809245

this site looks good, cept they are all sold out. anyways.. i like to
create a local group for those who are like us. My objective is to
lose the weight when i get this bike. so.. can anyone help me?

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 22:45:15 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> I have been searching for nearly a year until I came across this
> group.
> I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
> What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
> couldn't tell me anything.

Christ! If you really weigh that much, maybe you shouldbe on a medically
supervised diet and exercise program using stationary equipment and a
swimming pool for a while before venturing out on a real bike, with the
high risk of hurting yourself.

> I have been searching for nearly a year until I came across this
> group.
> I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
> What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
> couldn't tell me anything.
>
> http://www.supersizedcycles.com/site/1554167/page/809245
>
> this site looks good, cept they are all sold out. anyways.. i like to
> create a local group for those who are like us. My objective is to
> lose the weight when i get this bike. so.. can anyone help me?

look here:
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248

[email protected] wrote:
> I have been searching for nearly a year until I came across this
> group.
> I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
> What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
> couldn't tell me anything.

If you can't find a store bought bike that fits you, you might
investigate stationery recumbents. A friend of mine with some medical
problems is trying that for starters.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have been searching for nearly a year until I came across this
> group.
> I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
> What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
> couldn't tell me anything.
>
> http://www.supersizedcycles.com/site/1554167/page/809245
>
> this site looks good, cept they are all sold out. anyways.. i like to
> create a local group for those who are like us. My objective is to
> lose the weight when i get this bike. so.. can anyone help me?

The newsboys that SupersizedCycles sells, are actually made by a
separate company, Worksman Cycles:
http://www.worksmancycles.com/
-Worksman has a few choices for heavy riders in two and three wheels.
You can order Worksmans online but there's something of a wait; the
usual lead-time is given as 30-35 days, and I'm still waiting for mine
at 40 days. Worksmans have a reputation for being built rather
heavy-duty, but I don't know about a 500-lb rider weight, or if they
will build a heavier custom frame.

Another possibility for bikes for very-heavy people is Lightfoot cycles:
http://www.lightfootcycles.com/
-they do bikes, trikes and recumbents and (apparently?) will do
extra-heavy duty/custom builds, but they are not cheap.
~

thanks michael for your concern....but i have been riding bikes from
when i was 5 years old till middle school.. got into HS.. got onto
the swim team and baseball team. Now out of HS, i just ate too much..
and thinking i have tried all diets known to man.. that maybe getting
a freakin bike would help.. since that helped me kept in shape. i rode
my bike everyday for 3 hours either around the block or to long
distances. so.. thank you.. but im going to look for a bicycle no
matter what.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> thanks michael for your concern....

> but im going to look for a bicycle no
> matter what.

You tell 'em. Don't listen to the naysayers. There was a guy who used to
post here who weighed 390 lbs. He started riding, little by little, and
eventually lost 150 lbs. The bicycle is always there for you, no matter your
level of fitness - it's up to you to ride it.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

DougC wrote:

> The newsboys that SupersizedCycles sells, are actually made by a
> separate company, Worksman Cycles:
> http://www.worksmancycles.com/

In particular, the Worksman PAV trike is a heavy-duty bargain: a 550-lb
rider limit for only $750. The only downside is they only sell it with a
3-speed hub. If you consider this bike you ight ask them if a 7-speed
hub can be fit on, I've never seen one so I don't know how they're doing
it exactly.

3-speeds is a lot better than /one/, but seven (or eight) speeds is more
than adequate for casual riding.
~

Hello Big Guy:
Co-Motion makes a model for the heavier rider:
http://www.co-motion.com/mazama.html
Alternately, the heavy guy in my regular riding group fit 40-spoke
tandem hubbed wheels on a Surly Crosscheck frame -- but he's a MONSTER
of a rider (I can pass him on hills, but nowhere else). Also, he's
about 150 pounds less than you....

rleone

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:31:27 GMT, Claire Petersky wrote:

>> but im going to look for a bicycle no
>> matter what.

> You tell 'em. Don't listen to the naysayers.

It's not naysaying to point out that someone that heavy (and presumably
unfit) is quite likely to injure himself or have a heart attack if he hops
on a bike right away.

Michael Warner wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:31:27 GMT, Claire Petersky wrote:
>

>>>but im going to look for a bicycle no
>>>matter what.

>>You tell 'em. Don't listen to the naysayers.

> It's not naysaying to point out that someone that heavy (and presumably
> unfit) is quite likely to injure himself or have a heart attack if he hops
> on a bike right away.

Likewise, a piece of exercise equipment like a stationery recumbent can
be used 12 months out of the year and can still be used after he loses
the weight.

DougC <[email protected]> wrote:
> DougC wrote:
>>
>> The newsboys that SupersizedCycles sells, are actually made by a
>> separate company, Worksman Cycles:
>> http://www.worksmancycles.com/

> In particular, the Worksman PAV trike is a heavy-duty bargain: a 550-lb
> rider limit for only $750. The only downside is they only sell it with a
> 3-speed hub. If you consider this bike you ight ask them if a 7-speed
> hub can be fit on, I've never seen one so I don't know how they're doing
> it exactly.

At those weights you probably need the cargo version of the internal
gear hubs. I know there are 3 and 5 speed hubs made for cargo bikes, I
don't believe there are any 7 speeds. On the other hand, I know someone
who is using a SRAM Spectro S7 for a StokeMonkeyed cargo bike. He
hasn't reported any trouble yet.

> 3-speeds is a lot better than /one/, but seven (or eight) speeds is more
> than adequate for casual riding.

True, though it does depend on terrain. You can get away with a lot
less gear choice in Florida or Philadelphia than you can in Seattle.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Uncle Cosmo ... why do they call this a word processor?"

[email protected] wrote:
> I have been searching for nearly a year until I came across this
> group.
> I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
> What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
> couldn't tell me anything.

Paging Chalo Colina. Chalo Colina please pick up the white courtesy
phone. [1]

> http://www.supersizedcycles.com/site/1554167/page/809245
>
> this site looks good, cept they are all sold out. anyways.. i like to
> create a local group for those who are like us. My objective is to
> lose the weight when i get this bike. so.. can anyone help me?

Well, I think other people in the thread have pointed you to a couple
options. I can't help you with a whole bike, but let me point out some
component choices that might help.

Wheels are the thing most likely to die at high rider weights. Even a
good 36 spoke rear wheel is likely to give you trouble. Thanks to the
Trials/Downhill crowd good 48 hole hubs are available in standard MTB
spacing. For the front a 36 will probably be okay, but if you do want
40 or 48 on the front, tandem hubs are easy to find in 100mm standard
spacing.

Also, it would be best to use 26" wheels. The smaller wheels are
stronger, and easier to find wider tires in.

Gusset Jury: about $100 (try Universalcycles.com)
Halo Spin Doctor: about $90

For your application, I would probably prefer the Gusset hub. It has a
12mm solid axle with flats ground to 10mm to allow use in standard
dropouts.

A nice Velocity Deep-V rim paired with the Gusset hub and 14/15 spokes
will make an excellent strong wheel. Assuming you have a good
wheelbuilder make it. If you tell us where you live, we might be able
to point you in the right direction.

I'd recommend some 26x1.75" Schwalbe Marathon Pluses [2], or the Schwalbe
Big Apples (if they'll fit in your frame). These should provide some
cushioning to your ride. Make sure to keep a high pressure to avoid
pinch flats.

Some things to avoid:

Suspension: Above 300lbs, this does not work so well.
Carbon anything: Carbon parts are not safe at your weight level (with a
very few exceptions).

[1] Chalo is about a touch lighter than you, but otherwise comparable in
size. He's posted quite a bit about the sort of equipment choices
one needs for this sort of rider.
[2] These are super flat proof. You can still flat them from punctures,
but it's really difficult.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"To move the cabin, push button for wishing floor.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello Big Guy:
> Co-Motion makes a model for the heavier rider:
> http://www.co-motion.com/mazama.html

Not too bad looking. I'd replace the tires and make sure they cut the
steerer tube longer, but other than that it looks like okay.

> Alternately, the heavy guy in my regular riding group fit 40-spoke
> tandem hubbed wheels on a Surly Crosscheck frame

I contemplated this, but it was easier to use a Trials hub to build a 48
spoke rear wheel with standard spacing. Plus I didn't want to void my
frame warranty by respacing the rear triangle. This was a good
decision, as I'm currently riding the warranty replacement CrossCheck
frame.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
You first parents of the human race... who ruined yourself for an apple,

On Jun 10, 12:16 pm, catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Michael Warner wrote:

> >>You tell 'em. Don't listen to the naysayers.

> > It's not naysaying to point out that someone that heavy (and presumably
> > unfit) is quite likely to injure himself or have a heart attack if he hops
> > on a bike right away.

> Likewise, a piece of exercise equipment like a stationery recumbent can
> be used 12 months out of the year and can still be used after he loses
> the weight.

Can't you use any bike 12 months out of the year if you are manly
enough? :p

In article <[email protected]>,
Michael Warner <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:31:27 GMT, Claire Petersky wrote:
>
>>> but im going to look for a bicycle no
>>> matter what.

>> You tell 'em. Don't listen to the naysayers.

> It's not naysaying to point out that someone that heavy (and presumably
> unfit) is quite likely to injure himself or have a heart attack if he hops
> on a bike right away.

Riding doesn't have to be a gung-ho thing.
It can be easier than walking. In fact I
believe bicycles were invented to be easier
than walking.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Michael Warner wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > I have been searching for nearly a year until I came across this
> > group.
> > I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
> > What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
> > couldn't tell me anything.

> Christ! If you really weigh that much, maybe you shouldbe on a medically
> supervised diet and exercise program using stationary equipment and a
> swimming pool for a while before venturing out on a real bike, with the
> high risk of hurting yourself.

You exhibit a failure of imagination as to how much weigh a tall
person's frame can carry without significant disability. I personally
measure 6'8" tall, and my weight peaked at over 400 pounds. My
activities were never physically curtailed by my weight, and I was an
active rider throughout that time, sometimes even carrying others on
my cargo bike and traversing the steep hills of Seattle.

Swimming is great for fitness and strength, but it's no good for
weight loss.

Chalo

[email protected] wrote:

> I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
> What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
> couldn't tell me anything.
>
> http://www.supersizedcycles.com/site/1554167/page/809245
>
> this site looks good, cept they are all sold out. anyways.. i like to
> create a local group for those who are like us. My objective is to
> lose the weight when i get this bike. so.. can anyone help me?

I'm skeptical of the offerings at supersizedcycles.com. There are
some decisions there that suggest to me that they are better at
dealing with 300-pounders than with 500-pounders. For instance, disc
brakes are less valuable than symmetrical front wheels, which disc
brakes prevent. And they must be on drugs if they think that saddle
is fat-person-friendly.

Schauff of Germany offer a bike called "Sumo" that not only carries a
440 lbs weight rating, but stupendous frame sizes available-- 60cm and
70cm. The bike's true weight capacity is even higher, in my opinion,
if the bike is ridden modestly.

http://schauff.de/schauff2002.de/index.php?language=e&action=fahrrad&typ=XXL/XXS&id=490&jahr=2007

It appears that there are no North American distributors for Schauff
bikes. I suppose you could contact them and ask whether they have a
dealer who will ship internationally.

Co-Motion makes a bike called the Mazama, which is basically a single
road bike built to tandem spec. I don't think that road-bike-sized
wheels are a very good choice for you, and I don't think that the
parts package of the Mazama is really up to the task. And it's pretty
expensive. But it's there, and you can buy just the frame if you so
desire (for $1375, which could also buy you a simple but purely custom-
built frame from a craftsman builder).

http://www.co-motion.com/mazama.html

It is completely feasible, however, for you to build up a serviceable
bike using all freely available parts. You'll have to find an
accommodating dealer who appreciates a challenge and is willing to go
beyond anything he or she has done before. There are a lot of
critical parts on a normal bike that are not suitable for your use,
and I will help you out by telling you about some that will work for
you and not cost unnecessarily much. Understand that any bike built
up from hand-picked parts will be substantially more expensive than a
superficially equivalent off-the-rack model.

Wheels are the foremost issue, but not the only issue. I recommend
the Gusset Jury hub, which Dane previously mentioned. Get it in 48
hole for sure. I mostly favor gearhubs for myself, because they allow
dishless rear wheels. I am a sub-400 lbs. "middleweight", though, and
I have occasional problems with tearing out the anti-rotation washers
they use. I don't think the axles or the gearboxes would hold up too
well for you either. The Gusset Jury is incredibly robust and
reasonably priced, and it uses pretty economical 8-speed sprockets.
I'd stay away from 9-speed parts, as you'll be wearing out more than
your share of sprockets and chains. 8-speed will be much cheaper to
replace as necessary.

Rims are critical. The only one I know of that is plenty strong
enough for you and also available in 48 hole is the Sun King Pin.
Contact Sun-Ringlé directly if your dealer can't find these rims. Use
the 26 inch size.

I recommend Schwalbe Big Apple 26 x 2.35" tires. These are reasonably
fast street tires that I can run at just 30psi. You might want to use
more like 40psi. The benefit there is that you can get a cushioned
ride that's gentle on your body without giving up a lot of
efficiency.

After wheels, the seatpost is probably the part that will give you the
most problems. The best defense against bent seatposts is to use a
tall frame, so that the post extension can be kept to a minimum. The
Thomson Elite post is the strongest commonly available post I have
used. For an unbendable post of 1" or larger in diameter, you can
have a machinist turn a rod of 7075 aluminum to the appropriate
diameter and add a section of .875" diameter on the top 2 inches, so
that it will accept a standard "seat guts" saddle clamp. If you go
this way, have the machinist make it long enough to keep at least 8"
in the frame for reinforcement.

Cranks are very important, not because they fail frequently, but
because failure is so likely to cause serious injury. I busted up my
face and lost a handful of teeth to a crank spindle failure. Shimano
Saint cranks are probably the easiest, most intercompatible option for
you if you want to use triple chainrings. (If there are many hills
where you live, you probably want triple chainrings). They are
expensive and, to my eyes, homely looking. And the rings are probably
spendy to replace. But they'll work.

I use some sort of high strength BMX cranks on every one of my bikes.
My favorite is Primo Powerbite, but the 22mm spindle diameter
obligates the use of a threaded bottom bracket with four very thin
bearings, which might not hold up too well for you. But they've been
OK for me so far. Profile Racing offers a respectably strong crank
with a good warranty-- though I'm not convinced any manufacturer will
necessarily honor a warranty for you if they know how big you are.
Odyssey 41 Thermal cranks and Odyssey Wombolt cranks are stupidly
strong and come with a good warranty-- though the relatively light
Wombolts have the same 22mm spindle issue as Primo cranks. Redline
makes a variety of welded chromoly cranks, any of which should work
fine for you, as several have for me. The Redline Monster is probably
your least expensive safe option.

There are ways of fitting two or three chainrings onto a BMX crank by
using an adapter spider. These are hard to find lately, though, and
it may be easiest (and cheapest) to just use a single ring and a nice
wide-ranged rear cassette. If you get a BMX chainring with a guard,
that will help keep the chain from bouncing off in the absence of a
front derailleur.

The saddle will probably be a sensitive matter for you, as it has been
for me. Big guys like us carry a lot of weight there. The best bet I
have found thus far is the Electra Townie saddle, which can be ordered
direct from the Electra Bikes website if you have no local Electra
dealer. It has the supportive curved shape of Electra cruiser
saddles, but without the springs and frame that are unreliable under
heavy loads. I'm not crazy about the stitched top, but otherwise I
think it's as good as saddles get for big guys.

Put your handlebar up good and high, so you don't overload your
hands-- grips don't get bigger as riders get bigger, so you have to be
careful not to put too much weight on them. Four inches higher than
your saddle is an OK starting point, but don't hesitate to go higher
if it suits you. An 8" tall BMX handlebar not only provides lots of
rise and lots of strength, but it allows you to tune in the overall
reach by tilting the bars forwards or backwards as you like. Get the
longest BMX stem you can find-- they'll all be too short, but that
will get you started safely and inexpensively so you can decide
whether you really need a custom stem. You can fit a BMX bar into an
MTB stem by using shims, but that can allow the bars to slip when
pulled hard by a strong person.

Only now do I come to the matter of the frame. It's actually not as
big a deal as most of the other things I've addressed, because there
are so many decently strong frames out there at low prices. Just
about every other part of a bike is weak compared to the frame,
especially when you're talking about just regular old inexpensive
bikes. Frame stiffness is relatively important, but not as much as
you'd think once the cranks, stem, and handlebars have been
fortified. The main issue for you with the frame will be finding a
suitably large one. Large frames seem to have fallen from style even
though people don't seem any shorter.

The Surly Instigator would be well-suited to your use, but it doesn't
come in a big enough size. Kona used to have a bike called the Hoss
whose frame would have done the trick, but it looks like it's out of
production. Maybe you can find a leftover 2006 model-- but mind you,
it's a complete bike from which most of the parts would not work for
you. And either the Hoss or the Instigator would have you using a
long seatpost, which in your case is not a good thing.

The best deal, hands down, on a frame that could potentially work for
you is the chromoly steel MTB frame from Bike Nashbar. It's available
in a reasonably tall 23" size and it's pretty beefy. Only $50! There
are drawbacks, though-- the top tube is really too short for a guy
your size. If you're sitting pretty upright, that's not too big a
deal; it's characteristic of old-fashioned city bike geometry. You'll
probably need the custom-made seatpost I described for this one. The
frame does not come with a fork, but Nashbar's matching fork (also
$50) is big and heavy enough to be a pretty safe bet. If it fails, it
will bend but not break. If it bends, replace it with a Surly
Instigator fork before pursuing more elaborate options.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=14736
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=13284

DO NOT be tempted by a suspension fork. It won't work for you!
Instead, use the fattest, smoothest tires you can fit, and don't put
too much air in them.

Brakes are pretty easy. If you get the big rims I suggested, than
they provide both a good braking surface and generous heat capacity
that you'll need. Get _simple_, non-parallelogram linear-pull brakes
(Shimano Deore V-brakes are an example all bike shops know) and put
Kool Stop pads on them. Use caution and good judgment descending long
or steep hills; both your momentum and your terminal velocity are much
more than bicycle brakes were designed to deal with.

If you have to get a custom frame to get a decent fit on a stout bike,
consider looking at Thick Bikes ( http://www.thickbikes.com ) of
Pittsburgh. That guy has his notions about low standover height and
such that might not work in your favor, but he can surely build you a
frame, fork, seatpost, whatever-- that no mortal man can destroy.

Chalo

In article <[email protected]>,
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > I am 6'7" tall,about 450-500 lbs? Anyone know where to get a bike?
> > What model? What company? I already went to a bike shop, but they
> > couldn't tell me anything.

> It is completely feasible, however, for you to build up a serviceable
> bike using all freely available parts.

> Cranks are very important, not because they fail frequently, but
> because failure is so likely to cause serious injury. I busted up my
> face and lost a handful of teeth to a crank spindle failure. Shimano
> Saint cranks are probably the easiest, most intercompatible option for
> you if you want to use triple chainrings.

Regarding the cranks, any thoughts on Shimano's cheap-and-chunky Hone
option? They are the less-expensive freeride group option (Deore to the
Saint's XT), but I assume that as usual for the cheap groups, they add
weight rather than lose strength.

Not that this is pertinent to my needs,

Jorg Lueke <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 10, 12:16 pm, catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Michael Warner wrote:

> > > It's not naysaying to point out that someone that heavy (and presumably
> > > unfit) is quite likely to injure himself or have a heart attack if he hops
> > > on a bike right away.

> > Likewise, a piece of exercise equipment like a stationery recumbent can
> > be used 12 months out of the year and can still be used after he loses
> > the weight.

> Can't you use any bike 12 months out of the year if you are manly
> enough? :p

I'm going to say yes:

http://wiredcola.blogspot.com/2007/01/snow-is-for-fun.html

That's some photos and light text from a very entertaining deep-snow
commute earlier this year.