I haven't been on my bike for a week..

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Msa, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Msa

    Msa Guest

    ..because I have been revising :-(

    Last exam finished 2 hours ago. 12 weekends of lectures in Germany, 6 weekends of lectures on
    England. 12 exams, 1 dissertation and many hundreds of hours work later......and I'M
    FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have completed my part-time degree at the ripe old age of 36!

    Have to wait about 1 month for the results but I'm confident of a 2-1 with the
    possibilities of a 1st.

    Back to riding loads now!

    I know this isn't of interest to many (if anybody!) but I'm sitting here with a beer celebrating and
    felt I had to tell someone!

    Cheers!

    --
    Mark

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:53:25 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Last exam finished 2 hours ago.

    Hurrah! Have a beer for me as well.

    I remember the end of my finals with /great/ clarity. One of the happiest days of my (at that point)
    25-year-old life. What cretin decided that a memory test at the end was the best way of assesing
    three years' work?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ..because I have been revising :-(
    >
    > Last exam finished 2 hours ago. 12 weekends of lectures in Germany, 6 weekends of lectures on
    > England. 12 exams, 1 dissertation and many
    hundreds
    > of hours work later......and I'M FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have completed my part-time degree
    > at the ripe old age of 36!
    >
    > Have to wait about 1 month for the results but I'm confident of a 2-1 with the possibilities
    > of a 1st.
    >
    > Back to riding loads now!
    >
    > I know this isn't of interest to many (if anybody!) but I'm sitting here with a beer celebrating
    > and felt I had to tell someone!
    >

    > Cheers!
    Congratulations. Feel grateful. Tuesday will make it FIVE weeks off the bike with a nagging chest
    infection. Not enough to be off work but enough to stop any physical exertion. The bloody thing
    doesnt seem to be shifting either. All the best.

    Stan Cox

  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I'm reminded of a quote a friend passed by me as I'd finished my accounting exams... "they're worth
    doing for the feeling of relief at the end".

    Hmmmm, anyway... all the best, cheers, Jim.

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ..because I have been revising :-(
    >
    > Last exam finished 2 hours ago. 12 weekends of lectures in Germany, 6 weekends of lectures on
    > England. 12 exams, 1 dissertation and many
    hundreds
    > of hours work later......and I'M FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have completed my part-time degree
    > at the ripe old age of 36!
    >
    > Have to wait about 1 month for the results but I'm confident of a 2-1 with the possibilities
    > of a 1st.
    >
    > Back to riding loads now!
    >
    > I know this isn't of interest to many (if anybody!) but I'm sitting here with a beer celebrating
    > and felt I had to tell someone!
    >

    > Cheers!
    >

    > --
    > Mark

  5. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I remember the end of my finals with /great/ clarity.

    I have no recollection of mine.

    > What cretin decided that a memory test at the end was the best way of assesing three years'
    > work?

    Oh, that's easy. How else would you do an assessment without requiring both lecturers and students
    to do some work over the three years?

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  6. W K

    W K Guest

    > On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:53:25 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Last exam finished 2 hours ago.
    >
    > Hurrah! Have a beer for me as well.
    >
    > I remember the end of my finals with /great/ clarity. One of the happiest days of my (at that
    > point) 25-year-old life. What cretin decided that a memory test at the end was the best way of
    > assesing three years' work?

    Its better than many alternatives - esp. coursework.

    And usefully, memory only works well when tagged on to understanding.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > What cretin decided that a memory test at the end was the best way of assesing three
    > > years' work?

    > Its better than many alternatives - esp. coursework.

    Ah yes, life is full of situations where you must regurgitate three years' worth of knowledge
    without access to textbooks or computers, whereas jobs where you are required to turn in good
    quality work day after day are of course vanishingly rare ;-)

    Guy

  8. Martin

    Martin Guest

    In the 21st century we will dispense with exmas and just do a mind probe to check you have been
    paying attention in lectures. And we will all eat a pill for mealtimes. And we will all be using
    videophones. And and and Oh I forgot we are in the 21st century!! I'm already telling my kids how
    man landed on the moon in 1969 they probably think "bullsh**"

  9. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "

    > I'm reminded of a quote a friend passed by me as I'd finished my accounting exams... "they're
    > worth doing for the feeling of relief at the end".

    like hitting your head against a wall; it's nice when you stop

  10. W K

    W K Guest

    > "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > > What cretin decided that a memory test at the end was the best way of assesing three years'
    > > > work?
    >
    > > Its better than many alternatives - esp. coursework.
    >
    > Ah yes, life is full of situations where you must regurgitate three years' worth of knowledge
    > without access to textbooks

    yep ... at 4 am at times, when it really really matters.

    >or computers,

    ah. ... remembering where everything was on said implement.

    > whereas jobs where you are required to turn in good quality work day after day are of course
    > vanishingly rare ;-)

    And you get all your help of mates that did a similar exercise last year, or cleverer people who you
    can sneak the ideas off? Ah yes, thats the one. Could be in Dilbert that one.

    Even at higher degree level, people cheat. At school level, you see other people's arguments and
    ideas, that you know damn well the candidate has no understanding of, but must be credited for.

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:24:00 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >At school level, you see other people's arguments and ideas, that you know damn well the candidate
    >has no understanding of, but must be credited for.

    My dad's technique was to giver the copier 10/10 and the originator /10 "for copying Mr So-and-so"
    (the marks entered in the records were, of course, reversed). Copying usually lasted about one week.

    Teachers are not, for the most part, entirely stupid.

    My finals nearly kiled me. I hate exams with a passion and if I never sit another one in my life
    it'll be a day too soon. And I did graduate with a 2:1 in Electrical Engineering, so it was a Proper
    Subject with Proper Exams and bloody hard questions.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Ah yes, life is full of situations where you must regurgitate three years' worth of knowledge
    > without access to textbooks or computers,

    My exams tested ability and understanding, and seemed to do that pretty well - but I would say that!

    > whereas jobs where you are required to turn in good quality work day after day are of course
    > vanishingly rare ;-)

    Think so, I've certainly not had one yet.

    James

  13. John Blake

    John Blake Guest

    In message id <[email protected]> on Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:53:25 +0000 (UTC), MSA
    wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

    >..because I have been revising :-(
    >
    >Last exam finished 2 hours ago. 12 weekends of lectures in Germany, 6 weekends of lectures on
    >England. 12 exams, 1 dissertation and many hundreds of hours work later......and I'M
    >FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have completed my part-time degree at the ripe old age of 36!

    Congratulations from a fellow late part time studier! Its hard work, but when it is over,
    IT IS OVER!

    >Have to wait about 1 month for the results but I'm confident of a 2-1 with the possibilities
    >of a 1st.

    >Back to riding loads now!

    Back To Life. All that study time is now leisure time. And reading will be for pleasure or
    enlightenment because you WANT it to be, rather than because you HAVE to do it.

    >I know this isn't of interest to many (if anybody!) but I'm sitting here with a beer celebrating
    >and felt I had to tell someone!
    >
    >Cheers!

    Slainte!

    --
    I don't do arguments, read the reply properly to get the context. Kind regards. If you want to take
    it to email remove THE SPAM BLOKA

  14. John Blake

    John Blake Guest

    In message id <[email protected]> on Sun, 08 Jun 2003 16:27:15 +0100, Just
    zis Guy, you know? wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

    >On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:53:25 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Last exam finished 2 hours ago.
    >
    >Hurrah! Have a beer for me as well.
    >
    >I remember the end of my finals with /great/ clarity. One of the happiest days of my (at that
    >point) 25-year-old life. What cretin decided that a memory test at the end was the best way of
    >assesing three years' work?

    It shows that you have the ability to recall the vaguest scrap of information that was
    accumulated along the way and how it might be appropriate to a problem that has been presented.
    Otherwise how is the question setter and/or marker supposed to know that you absorbed anything
    over the learning period?

    And its harder as you get older. After age 25 the brain cells destroyed through alcohol consumption
    aren't replaced. So there is less room in the "filing cabinet" and a decision needs to be taken as
    to what is relevant and what is not, before it gets filed. Then you pray the question setter isn't
    interested in that topic!

    --
    I don't do arguments, read the reply properly to get the context. Kind regards. If you want to take
    it to email remove THE SPAM BLOKA

  15. John Blake

    John Blake Guest

    In message id <[email protected]> on 9 Jun 2003 10:08:09 -0700, martin
    wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

    >In the 21st century we will dispense with exmas and just do a mind probe to check you have been
    >paying attention in lectures.

    What about those of us that can't learn by listening to someone droning on?

    >And we will all eat a pill for mealtimes.

    They've started with vitamin supplements and if the Yanks get their way with GM foods it will be a
    matter of time.

    >And we will all be using videophones.

    If you can afford them they are here. In mobile version as well.

    >And and and Oh I forgot we are in the 21st century!! I'm already telling my kids how man landed on
    >the moon in 1969 they probably think "bullsh**"

    FWIW I agree with them. But I am a bit of a conspiracy nut anyway and Capricorn One looks more like
    a documentary than a Hollywood fiction. ;-)

    --
    I don't do arguments, read the reply properly to get the context. Kind regards. If you want to take
    it to email remove THE SPAM BLOKA

  16. In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> writes
    >And I did graduate with a 2:1 in Electrical Engineering, so it was a Proper Subject with Proper
    >Exams and bloody hard questions.

    That's strange, where I studied it was quite common to see loo rolls where some prankster had
    written on every sheet, "Engineering Degree, take one" or similar. In fairness I'm sure there were
    examples that said "Physics Degree, ......". ;-)

    The latest edition of Crowthorne Community Magazine has a page entitled "Understanding Engineers".
    Here's an excerpt:

    A vicar, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers.
    The engineer fumed, "What's the matter with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!"
    The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such ineptitude!" The vicar said, "Hey,
    here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him." "Hi, George. Say, what the matter with
    that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?" The greens keeper replied, "Oh, yes,
    that's the group of blind firefighters who lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last
    year, so we always let them play for free anytime." The group was silent for a moment. The vicar
    said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight." The doctor said, "Good
    idea. And I'm going to contact my optician friend and see if there's anything he can do for them."
    The engineer said, "Why can't these guys play at night?"
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  17. In message <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> writes
    >[email protected] (martin) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> In the 21st century we will dispense with exmas...
    >
    >That'll be very bad because then we'll have no presents to open.
    >
    >--
    >Dave...

    I thought it was going to be very good because we won't have any irritating skin conditions. ;-)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  18. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

  19. Dave Kahn wrote:

    >> In the 21st century we will dispense with exmas...

    > That'll be very bad because then we'll have no presents to open.

    Gold star, Dave. Excellent work!

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  20. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "

    > > That'll be very bad because then we'll have no presents to open.

    or buy for the person who has everything and wants nothing! it's not all that bad. (ok I can't type)