I hit a car.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andymorris, May 15, 2003.

  1. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Well sort of slapped it really. He was being a bit cheeky and was in slow traffic so I just slapped
    his door on the way past. He didn't half hoot a lot.

    It was just after some traffic lights where 2 lanes narrow into 1. The right hand lane on the
    approach should be used for turning right, but is used by a lot of motorists to push ahead of the
    queue in the left hand lane and then filter in at the pinch point at the other side of the lights.

    So I was overtaking the stationary traffic in the right and side of the left hand lane, he was
    trying to shove in from the right, no cars were letting him in, he started to move into my path, so
    I shouted, he stopped and then started moving, so as glided past him a gave his door a smart smack.

    Am I now a lycra lout? or was my action justified.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  2. "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Am I now a lycra lout? or was my action justified.

    Aggressive action like this is never justified. What were you thinking?

    You should have broken his wing mirror, but all you managed was slapping his door. Bah

    -dan

    --

    http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

  3. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    AndyMorris wrote:

    >Am I now a lycra lout? or was my action justified.

    You most certainly are a junior Lycra Lout. Next time raise your right pedal and score a scratch
    along the side of his car. You'll find the experience immensely satisfying.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > he started to move into my path, so I shouted, he stopped and then started moving, so as glided
    > past him a gave his door a smart smack.
    >
    > Am I now a lycra lout? or was my action justified.

    Yes and yes. I slap naughty cars from time to time as well. They make a great sound, don't they?

    --
    Dave...

  5. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Am I now a lycra lout?

    You haven't provided sufficient info. Like were you wearing Lycra? Do you spit in the street,
    vandalise bus shelters etc?

    >or was my action justified.

    Most definately.

    Pete

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Am I now a lycra lout? or was my action justified.

    Yes.

    Maybe.

    I have done and been done to. In both cases I believe the slapping was justified.

    Done -- well several times (as I guess any city cyclist has -- but probably less than 6 over 40 odd
    years cycling). 'Best' on was several times along the side of a Transit who seemed intent on pulling
    out of a parking space and was in the process of forcing me into a lane of (near stationary) traffic
    (St Stephens in Norwich for the cognoscenti).

    He desisted, probably pooped his pants and engaged in a somewhat futile tirade at my wake.

    Done too. (Mea culpa, sorry etc.) In Düsseldorf with a UK car. Did a SMIDSY in somewhat similar
    circumstances (But pulling out onto my 'blind' side). Doing it slowly but not careful enough with my
    mirrors and my passenger didn't check behind well enough.

    A nice youngish, woman smacked the roof. My passenger almost expired with shock. My ticker missed a
    beat or two -- but I stopped the car PDQ.

    An effective, if dramatic warning and in both cases possibly prevented a much nastier incident.

    Welcome to the club.

  7. Do any of you actually own a motor vehicle? If so think on about when you are driving and some
    stupid prat yes you or a mate does to you what you have described doing. Get real you are giveing
    real cyclists a hard time. Regards, John.

    --
    You MUST reply to one of the email address below---- NOTE:YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEND A REPLY TO
    THIS MESSAGE

    John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july

  8. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:55:16 +0100, Thornbury South Gloucestershire
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Do any of you actually own a motor vehicle? If so think on about when you are driving and some
    > stupid prat yes you or a mate does to you what you have described doing. Get real you are giveing
    > real cyclists a hard time.

    Most people here do own one or more cars. And most of them would probably not get close enough to a
    cyclist that they could slap the side of the car. (cyclists overtaking or undertaking excluded but,
    IME, provided you don't deliberately drive at them these cyclists are pretty harmless)

    Regards,

    Tim.

  9. Neil

    Neil Guest

    Thornbury South Gloucestershire wrote:

    > Do any of you actually own a motor vehicle? If so think on about when you are driving and some
    > stupid prat yes you or a mate does to you what you have described doing. Get real you are giveing
    > real cyclists a hard time. Regards, John.

    Normally I would completely agree that walloping a car is not the right answer, most drivers would
    probably respond with arrogance and it wouldn't get anyone anywhere. Thing is though was nearly
    knocked off twice in one morning last week, both drivers on mobiles surprise surprise. I drive as
    well as cycle (though not much anymore) but this week, I feel in agreement with doing something as a
    bit of a wake up call to motorists, though personally I prefer glaring and shouting.

    Looking at the ramifications, I'd still rather a cyclist walloped my car than my car walloping
    a cyclist!

    Kind regards

    Neil

  10. On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:55:16 +0100, "Thornbury South Gloucestershire"
    <[email protected]> in <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You MUST reply to one of the email address below---- NOTE:YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEND A REPLY TO
    >THIS MESSAGE

    Why must I? What if i don't want to reply to you?

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  11. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    "Thornbury South Gloucestershire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do any of you actually own a motor vehicle?

    Yup

    > If so think on about when you are driving and some stupid prat yes you or a mate does to you
    > what you
    have
    > described doing.

    Don't drive it like a penis extension and it won't happen, will it?

    > Get real you are giveing real cyclists a hard time.

    The only cyclists I've felt like slapping are the stealth variey.

    > You MUST reply to one of the email address below---- NOTE:YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEND A REPLY TO
    > THIS MESSAGE

    Tim

    --
    Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org 'When you're under the USA, someone
    rings a bell and it's all over'

  12. Frank°

    Frank° Guest

    "Thornbury South Gloucestershire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do any of you actually own a motor vehicle? If so think on about when you are driving and some
    > stupid prat yes you or a mate does to you what you
    have
    > described doing. Get real you are giveing real cyclists a hard time. Regards, John.

    Yep, as a car owner I would like to point out that a flat hand slapping the roof gives a far more
    dramatic effect.

    It is good because it really shocks the driver without causing actual damage that would put you on
    the wrong side of the law.

  13. Panda

    Panda Guest

    i did it a couple of weeks ago when a woman cut me up, i felt it was justified on the grounds
    that without having to change position i was able to slap the boot of her car since it was beneth
    my bar end.

    panda

    "AndyMorris" <AndyM[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well sort of slapped it really. He was being a bit cheeky and was in slow traffic so I just
    > slapped his door on the way past. He didn't half hoot a lot.
    >
    > It was just after some traffic lights where 2 lanes narrow into 1. The
    right
    > hand lane on the approach should be used for turning right, but is used by
    > lot of motorists to push ahead of the queue in the left hand lane and then filter in at the pinch
    > point at the other side of the lights.
    >
    > So I was overtaking the stationary traffic in the right and side of the
    left
    > hand lane, he was trying to shove in from the right, no cars were letting him in, he started to
    > move into my path, so I shouted, he stopped and then started moving, so as glided past him a gave
    > his door a smart smack.
    >
    > Am I now a lycra lout? or was my action justified.
    >
    > --
    > Andy Morris
    >
    > AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK
    >

    > Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes

  14. Albert Fish

    Albert Fish Guest

    "Frank°" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Thornbury South Gloucestershire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Do any of you actually own a motor vehicle? If so think on about when you are driving and some
    > > stupid prat yes you or a mate does to you what you
    > have
    > > described doing. Get real you are giveing real cyclists a hard time. Regards, John.
    > >

    > Yep, as a car owner I would like to point out that a flat hand slapping the roof gives a far more
    > dramatic effect.
    >
    > It is good because it really shocks the driver without causing actual damage that would put you on
    > the wrong side of the law.

    I agree. the OP was totally justified

    banging on the roof with the flat of the hand is a great way to simulate the sound a driver hears
    when they have hit something and it dunnhalf make em jump :)

    Albert

  15. Jeronimo

    Jeronimo Guest

    I can completely sympethise with teh slapping of the car.

    I do around 200-300 road mpw, and get totally frustrated at times at some of the insensitive
    motorists out there.

    Just the other week I had a real close encounter with a motorist pulling out of a country side road
    when I was only feet from him which forced me to swerve out onto the white lines and *squeezing*
    between him and an oncoming vehicle doing ~60 mph and me doing about 30mph. I got that much of a
    fright I had to pull over and was physically sick.

    Every day I am out I have at least 1 incident where I feel the need to hurl some form of abuse
    whether it be a polite middle finger or a torrent of bile abuse from my mouth (which I get pretty
    embarrassed by seconds later).

    I think that most of the people genuinely believe they are giving you miles of room, which only adds
    to their anger when you challenge them about it.

    So, yes a slap is OK, although sometimes a bit stingy on the hand.

    John

    Regards

  16. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well sort of slapped it really. He was being a bit cheeky and was in slow traffic so I just
    > slapped his door on the way past. He didn't half hoot a lot.
    >
    > It was just after some traffic lights where 2 lanes narrow into 1. The
    right
    > hand lane on the approach should be used for turning right, but is used by
    > lot of motorists to push ahead of the queue in the left hand lane and then filter in at the pinch
    > point at the other side of the lights.
    >
    > So I was overtaking the stationary traffic in the right and side of the
    left
    > hand lane, he was trying to shove in from the right, no cars were letting him in, he started to
    > move into my path, so I shouted, he stopped and then started moving, so as glided past him a gave
    > his door a smart smack.
    >
    > Am I now a lycra lout? or was my action justified.
    >
    > --
    > Andy Morris
    >
    > AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK
    >

    > Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes

    When I was a naughtly lycralout in Cardiff I used to like pushing the engine stop buttons on badly
    behaved buses.

  17. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Smudger wrote:
    > When I was a naughtly lycralout in Cardiff I used to like pushing the engine stop buttons on badly
    > behaved buses.

    hehe :)

    --
    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected] www.westerleycycling.org.uk http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php
    ----------------------------------

  18. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 17:30:42 +0100, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When I was a naughtly lycralout in Cardiff I used to like pushing the engine stop buttons on badly
    >behaved buses.

    That's a bit OTT, IMHO. Unless the bus was empty and the driver was trying to break the speed record
    back to the depot (If you've ever lived near a bus depot, you'll know what I mean).

  19. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 16 May 2003 17:30:42 +0100, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >When I was a naughtly lycralout in Cardiff I used to like pushing the
    engine
    > >stop buttons on badly behaved buses.
    >
    > That's a bit OTT, IMHO. Unless the bus was empty and the driver was trying to break the speed
    > record back to the depot (If you've ever lived near a bus depot, you'll know what I mean).

    Must admit to doing some 'slapping' in my time. I usually do it when really annoyed and without
    thinking...then I look at the 6ft 6" guy and wish I hadn't :) Actually, that's a lie..I can get
    away easier than him!

    A mate of mine used to carry a small handful of nuts and bolts in his rear jersey pocket...if anyone
    stepped out of line he used to grab one and lob it at the back window (startling noise but no damage
    according to him. Now that is excessive I guess..kinda funny, but totally illegal though ;-)

    --
    Mark

  20. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 09:57:35 GMT, Tim Dunne <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Thornbury South Gloucestershire" <[email protected]> wrote

    Yep. I'm most annoyed 'cos I went to all the bother of composing a followup before I noticed who I
    was replying to. What a waste. Oh well.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig