I hit a car.

Dave Kahn wrote:

> Yes and yes. I slap naughty cars from time to time as well. They make a great sound, don't they?

Vans are Even Better[tm]. I imagine that from the inside it sounds as though someone has just let
off a small explosive charge in the back. Tee and, moreover, hee.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Ian Smith wrote:

> I've wondered what would happen in the case of car-pulls-out from an entrance or side road - will
> it punch through a car panel? Will my legs take the impact in a controlled manner and I'm
> relatively unscathed, or will they snap horribly? Such pleasant thoughts to occupy the time on my
> daily commute.

Oh yes.

Windcheetah, 1; XJ6, nil.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

the Mark wrote:

> I meant to add I've also hit a few vehicles. Cars when they cut in to me when I'm in a bus or
> cycle lane

Ooh yes. It is truly astonishing how far the left-side door mirror of an Astra van will fly when
struck by the upper arm of a recumbent cyclist travelling at 25 mph! Time heals all bruises, but new
mirrors cost Money
:)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> Dave Kahn wrote:
>
> > Yes and yes. I slap naughty cars from time to time as well. They make a great sound, don't they?
>
> Vans are Even Better[tm]. I imagine that from the inside it sounds as though someone has just let
> off a small explosive charge in the back. Tee and, moreover, hee.
>
> Dave Larrington -

The real sad thing is that I've started doing it in ped mode as well now!!... If, when I look
behind, about to cross a road junction, a car is approaching with indicator flashing to indicate
they are about to turn into the road I am about to cross, I make as if to continue walking and if
they don't show any signs of giving way, I hold back, then walk into the side of the car, with a
smack to the back panel "naughty car !" as it passes by. However the ones who do give way always
receive a cheery smile and an acknowledgement wave as I hurry across out of their way. In ped mode I
do take ultimate priority and play the game to remind others of this fact from time to time. Just to
try and help lull them out of their false sense of Cotton Wool Land, you understand. Cheers, Dave.
...not long of this world....

On Thu, 22 May 2003 18:14:01 +0100, Simon Mason scrawled: ) I'm not so sure about this. Every story
I hear about someone getting the ) reg of a car involved in an accident, the car always comes back
as "not ) found" by the police. Call me cynical, but if the car matched the reg, then ) plod would
actually have to do some work.

Is the national car register maintained by Capita? That would explain it too.

J-P
--
"How much is it to get into the party?" Translation:Where can I score some drugs?

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm not sure what your chainwheel would cause to a door panel but in my youth (I'm only 21, so I'm
> not going to far back) I have bunny hopped and climbed one pillocks bonnet using the front large
> chainwheel on my MTB.

LOL :)

Pete

On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:19:09 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

>After spending a few years in Canada where it was normal to give way to peds on the "crosswalk" at
>junctions I inadvertently tried crossing at a junction here expecting the same treatment.

How dare you have the temerity to expect drivers to give way to you? Just because it's your
right of way?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Dave wrote:
> The real sad thing is that I've started doing it in ped mode as well now!!... If, when I look
> behind, about to cross a road junction, a car is approaching with indicator flashing to indicate
> they are about to turn into the road I am about to cross, I make as if to continue walking and if
> they don't show any signs of giving way, I hold back, then walk into the side of the car, with a
> smack to the back panel "naughty car !" as it passes by. However the ones who do give way always
> receive a cheery smile and an acknowledgement wave as I hurry across out of their way. In ped mode
> I do take ultimate priority and play the game to remind others of this fact from time to time.
> Just to try and help lull them out of their false sense of Cotton Wool Land, you understand.

A long time ago a car accelerated towards me as I was crossing the road on foot and hooted.

You don't have to kick very hard to put a dent in.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

On Thu, 22 May 2003 10:49:31 +0100 someone who may be "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>In ped mode I do take ultimate priority and play the game to remind others of this fact from
>time to time.

When going straight ahead over a side road pedestrians do indeed have priority over any turning
vehicle. The Highway Code is quite clear about it. Despite claims by the driving lobby that
motorists are superior because "they have to know the Highway Code" it's amazing how many drivers
appear to not know this rule, or are deliberately ignoring it.