I hope all you Americans are keeping warm?

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
It looks like large swathes of your country are in the grip of an Ice Age at the moment.
I hope that you're all warm and well.

Personally I still don't think that the weather is sufficiently bad to not do some outdoor training. Museeuw
grin.png

Global Warmingâ„¢!!!

I just got in from hunting bambi. 1° F was the high today, but the brightly glowing sun made it feel like it was 2°!

I heard another hunter shoot, but all I got was cold feet. It's not bad as long as I stayed low and out of the wind...which was absolutely brutal, yesterday...30°-40° below zero. We've only had an inch or so of snow over the last 48 hours, so there is that good news. No drifts to plow thru.

The TV news from last night flashed to Wisconsin and the temperatures/chill factors up there are even lower than here, plus they have some real amounts of snow on the ground and falling. Three road cyclists rolled into an intersection and stopped behind the news reporter.

Was it weird to immediately wonder if one of them was Maydog?

The wind chill up there had to be 40° to 50° below zero!

I'm in the southeast so not so terrible here, although it did get into the single digits yesterday afternoon through this morning. Went for a short ride this afternoon. It wasn't too bad but I admit I'm looking forward to the heat wave tomorrow (mid 40s). I think we're suppose to see 60 over the weekend....people will have a pool party!

Yesterday we had a low of -14°F with a windchill of about -38°F. We live in a wooded area so all throughout the night we could hear tree branches rupturing--sounded a bit like gunshots--from the crystalizing water in the tree sap. Our high yesterday was about -2°F. It was a bit brisk. Don't worry too much, however, because warming is on the way. Sunday we're supposed to have a high of 50°F.

9F in NYC, a veritable heat wave compared to some of the others. And yes, the weekend is supposed to be in the mid to high 40's. Good for some endurance miles!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
The TV news from last night flashed to Wisconsin and the temperatures/chill factors up there are even lower than here, plus they have some real amounts of snow on the ground and falling. Three road cyclists rolled into an intersection and stopped behind the news reporter.
I'm guessing that all the beer and cheese that we Wisconsinites eat is finally paying-off by providing a thick layer of blubber.
cool.png
I, however, don't have that layer of blubber, so it wasn't me you saw on the news! I'll admit that I am getting pretty comfortable on my rollers from all the indoor riding. However, I still can't reach for my water bottle w/o potentially swerving off the side of the rollers.
confused.png

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB

Was it weird to immediately wonder if one of them was Maydog?
Sadly I have not been on the road since before Christmas, I was laid up with the flu for a week. The roads have been pretty lousy all December, the temperatures have not gotten high enough for the salt to work its magic on the roads; all of my usual routes are mostly packed snow, slush or ice.

In the city the bike routes are passable and a fair number of people still ride at least short distances.

I seriously considered going out the past few days, just because. I have been out in colder conditions - but the gov decided that I should stay home and watch the kids.

I am crossing my fingers for the weekend - the forecast looks good.

Quote from Maydog:
"I am crossing my fingers for the weekend - the forecast looks good."

Let's hope! It's supposed to be 50° on Saturday, but with 100% chance of rain. The new Kinetic trainer is already beyond boring...

Quote from Rich, the other frozen Wiscycle:
"I'll admit that I am getting pretty comfortable on my rollers from all the indoor riding. However, I still can't reach for my water bottle w/o potentially swerving off the side of the rollers."

Keep riding them thru January. I predict that by the 21st of the month you'll be riding with no hands and pulling your shirt off over your head without losing 5 RPM.

I'm trying to alternate between the Kreitler rollers and the fluid trainer. I shift the 20" box fan in front of whatever I'm sitting on, turn on the tunes, fire up the laptop and get ready to fry my brain...

C'mon Saturday! If the rain holds off we be gone!

I also hope all Americans are keeping warm and recover from the cold winter as soon as possiable.

It's winter. It gets cold in the Northeast. We deal with it. Then it gets warm again. Then it gets hot. "Wicked" hot as they like to say in Boston. We deal with that, too.

Seems like 20 years ago, seasonal weather wasn't "news". Now it is.

Big assed hurricane bearing down on us.? That's news. Snow and cold in January, not so much.

The "The Impending Ice Age"...er..."Global Warming"...no, that's not right...uh..."Climate Change"...no, that's also incorrect...oh, yeah...now I remember, it's "Extreme Weather" sucked. Between the weather scaremen and the moronic scientists, I get a lot of free entertainment listening to the radio.

Hot? I like it hot!

2"-3" of snow tonight followed by freezing rain (twice) tomorrow. Well, off to hit iTunes for more trainer music.

January 2014, yes we had some serious winter storms then. Lets see how this winter is. Its been kind of mild off and on. Fog the last couple of mornings which is odd. It has actually been pretty good this year to get outside.

JSWin said:
January 2014, yes we had some serious winter storms then. Lets see how this winter is. Its been kind of mild off and on. Fog the last couple of mornings which is odd. It has actually been pretty good this year to get outside.
I realize that i should just report you instead of responding, but you are starting to get on my nerves. Why do you constantly necropost? Are you just trying to run up your post count or something?

Yeah, the weather is still good for training, but at the same time will it still be good for our kids and grand-kids in the next decades? It's about time that we put our living conditions ahead of money.

Jcycle said:
I realize that i should just report you instead of responding, but you are starting to get on my nerves. Why do you constantly necropost? Are you just trying to run up your post count or something?
Do what I did---add him to your ignore list. ;)