I just bought 2 Huffys!!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Paladin, May 5, 2003.

  1. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    It hurts, but I had to confess that.

    At a police auction, where almost all the bikes were crappy shiny biks, with maybe 4 or 5 exceptions
    out of 300+, I bought a package deal for $20 that included a beautiful older Diamondback in great
    shape, along with, [ahem..] two, er, uh, well, .... Huffys, [there, I said it, are you happy now?]
    that I'll immediately donate to our church yard sale. (Hopefully anonymously)

    I also got a classic old beach cruiser for $5 (!)that I can spiff up a little and add to the fleet.
    I think that was the deal of the day.

    The Diamondback will make a great loaner, or maybe convert to another SS, he he.

    That's all. Just had to get that vile Huffy transgression off my conscience. I feel better now.

    Paladin

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | It hurts, but I had to confess that.
    |
    | At a police auction, where almost all the bikes were crappy shiny biks, with maybe 4 or 5
    | exceptions out of 300+, I bought a package deal for $20 that included a beautiful older
    | Diamondback in great shape, along with, [ahem..] two, er, uh, well, .... Huffys, [there, I said
    | it, are you happy now?] that I'll immediately donate to our church yard sale. (Hopefully
    | anonymously)
    |
    | I also got a classic old beach cruiser for $5 (!)that I can spiff up a little and add to the
    | fleet. I think that was the deal of the day.
    |
    | The Diamondback will make a great loaner, or maybe convert to another SS, he he.
    |
    | That's all. Just had to get that vile Huffy transgression off my conscience. I feel better now.

    There there now Paladin. My beloved beach cruiser has that dread word stamped on the frame, despite
    it originally being sold as a Sears Free Spirit.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  3. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It hurts, but I had to confess that.
    >
    > At a police auction, where almost all the bikes were crappy shiny biks, with maybe 4 or 5
    > exceptions out of 300+, I bought a package deal for $20 that included a beautiful older
    > Diamondback in great shape, along with, [ahem..] two, er, uh, well, .... Huffys, [there, I said
    > it, are you happy now?] that I'll immediately donate to our church yard sale. (Hopefully
    > anonymously)
    >
    > I also got a classic old beach cruiser for $5 (!)that I can spiff up a little and add to the
    > fleet. I think that was the deal of the day.
    >
    > The Diamondback will make a great loaner, or maybe convert to another SS, he he.
    >
    > That's all. Just had to get that vile Huffy transgression off my conscience. I feel better now.
    >
    > Paladin

    My current townie was a police auction bike too. A $5 beach cruiser as well. Great deals to be had
    at those auctions. I had to put about $50 into mine to get it up to my standards for a townie
    (shiny chrome fenders and coaster brakes are a must) but it was well worth it. I call him El Guapo
    and he is.

    Sounds like you came out ahead. Hopefully nobody you know will see you drop off the Huffys!

    Matt

  4. > | The Diamondback will make a great loaner, or maybe convert to another SS, he he.

    Is it a REAL Diamond-Back... like form the mid 80's era?

  5. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It hurts, but I had to confess that.
    >
    > At a police auction, where almost all the bikes were crappy shiny biks, with maybe 4 or 5
    > exceptions out of 300+, I bought a package deal for $20 that included a beautiful older
    > Diamondback in great shape, along with, [ahem..] two, er, uh, well, .... Huffys, [there, I said
    > it, are you happy now?] that I'll immediately donate to our church yard sale. (Hopefully
    > anonymously)
    >
    > I also got a classic old beach cruiser for $5 (!)that I can spiff up a little and add to the
    > fleet. I think that was the deal of the day.
    >
    > The Diamondback will make a great loaner, or maybe convert to another SS, he he.
    >
    > That's all. Just had to get that vile Huffy transgression off my conscience. I feel better now.
    >
    > Paladin

    I don't know who is in the Huffy thing deeper, you or I? But, I answered an ad in the local fish
    wraper for bicycle assembly staff. Figured maybe a big sporting goods store was moving to town,
    which had been a rumor. Well, it ended up being for bike assembly of Huffy/Magna types. Yikes! Two
    days, and I have already built 33 bikes. Mass production at it'w worst.

    Ken

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It hurts, but I had to confess that.
    > >
    > > At a police auction, where almost all the bikes were crappy shiny biks, with maybe 4 or 5
    > > exceptions out of 300+, I bought a package deal for $20 that included a beautiful older
    > > Diamondback in great shape, along with, [ahem..] two, er, uh, well, .... Huffys, [there, I said
    > > it, are you happy now?] that I'll immediately donate to our church yard sale. (Hopefully
    > > anonymously)

    So, dumping shiny junk off at church, eh? If they were road bike Huffys, you would be
    excommunicated for sure.

    > > I also got a classic old beach cruiser for $5 (!)that I can spiff up a little and add to the
    > > fleet. I think that was the deal of the day.

    One can never have too many bikes thate are not Huffy.

    > > The Diamondback will make a great loaner, or maybe convert to another SS, he he.

    Loaner for whom? I doubt it would fit a Freak.

    > My current townie was a police auction bike too. A $5 beach cruiser as well. Great deals to be had
    > at those auctions. I had to put about $50 into mine to get it up to my standards for a townie
    > (shiny chrome fenders and coaster brakes are a must) but it was well worth it. I call him El Guapo
    > and he is.

    El Guapo rolls well, though a tad small for the freakishly large.

    > Sounds like you came out ahead. Hopefully nobody you know will see you drop off the Huffys!

    God will see him drop them off. You're busted already CDB.

    JD

  7. "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There there now Paladin. My beloved beach cruiser has that dread word stamped on the frame,
    > despite it originally being sold as a Sears Free Spirit.

    Sears Free Spirit. Loved that bike, put many road and semi road miles on it.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  8. Ohioburg

    Ohioburg Guest

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paladin" <[email protected]>
    > At a police auction, where almost all the bikes were crappy shiny biks, with maybe 4 or 5
    > exceptions out of 300+, I bought a package deal for $20 that included a beautiful older
    > Diamondback in great shape, along with, [ahem..] two, er, uh, well, .... Huffys, [there, I said
    > it, are you happy now?] that I'll immediately donate to our church yard sale. (Hopefully
    > anonymously)

    Tune them up then give them away to someone who can't even afford a Huffy. We have a local gentlemen
    who takes in bikes and parts and does just that.

    Rick Ohio

  9. Ohioburg

    Ohioburg Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It hurts, but I had to confess that.
    >
    > At a police auction, where almost all the bikes were crappy shiny biks, with maybe 4 or 5
    > exceptions out of 300+, I bought a package deal for $20 that included a beautiful older
    > Diamondback in great shape, along with, [ahem..] two, er, uh, well, .... Huffys

    Police auctions are a hoot. Piece-o-crap bicycles will go for high dollars as long as they're pretty
    and shiny while bargains on real bikes can be had because they've actually been used and show a
    little wear. I had a great time watching and hearing people's reaction to me and one other
    (knowledgeable) bidder running up a Specialized Stumpjumper that was covered in dirt and missing a
    seat and pedals.

    A couple of years ago I saw a cell phone go for over $100 - the kind you get for free when you sign
    up for service.

    Rick Ohio

  10. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It hurts, but I had to confess that.
    > >
    > > At a police auction, where almost all the bikes were crappy shiny biks, with maybe 4 or 5
    > > exceptions out of 300+, I bought a package deal for $20 that included a beautiful older
    > > Diamondback in great shape, along with, [ahem..] two, er, uh, well, .... Huffys, [there, I said
    > > it, are you happy now?] that I'll immediately donate to our church yard sale. (Hopefully
    > > anonymously)
    > >
    > > I also got a classic old beach cruiser for $5 (!)that I can spiff up a little and add to the
    > > fleet. I think that was the deal of the day.
    > >
    > > The Diamondback will make a great loaner, or maybe convert to another SS, he he.
    > >
    > > That's all. Just had to get that vile Huffy transgression off my conscience. I feel better now.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > I don't know who is in the Huffy thing deeper, you or I? But, I answered an ad in the local fish
    > wraper for bicycle assembly staff. Figured maybe a big sporting goods store was moving to town,
    > which had been a rumor. Well, it ended up being for bike assembly of Huffy/Magna types. Yikes! Two
    > days, and I have already built 33 bikes. Mass production at it'w worst.
    >
    > Ken

    Yeah, but at least with a "real mtnbiker" assembling those things, the bars will be on frontways,
    the brakes set up reasonably well, bar ends won't be straight up, etc., etc. Have fun, but don't
    start liking them, OK? 8~D

    Paladin

  11. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > | The Diamondback will make a great loaner, or maybe convert to another SS, he he.
    >
    > Is it a REAL Diamond-Back... like form the mid 80's era?

    I can't tell for sure. Looks like a late 80's style from my cursory look over. Stay tuned.