I just crashed/ beloki style

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Neptunium, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Neptunium

    Neptunium Guest

    I had a similar crash like beloki 2 days ago. (similar to his I was going down hill about 35 mph. It
    had just rained lightly. I was going around a turn when my rear tire started to slide out. Then I
    braked and the rear went sideways on me. I saw that I was heading off the road and into the trees,
    then released brakes. By this time, I was off the pavement and in the dirt/gravel of the pull out. I
    tried to roll with the direction of the turn, but there was too much momentum heading off the road.
    I braked both brakes and laid the bike down. I got hurt this time. My left colar bone - broke in 2
    (an AC break/closest to the shoulder), left lung slightly collapsed. I didn't notice at first but
    there was a lump on my head too, left side. I checked my Bell helmet yesterday and it is fractured
    thoughout the inside. I really belive the helmet saved me serious head injury. Can someone relate
    their experience, maybe if it was an injury like this. greg

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    This probably isn't the proper forum for this discussion, and my crash isn't that similar to yours
    except with respect to broken bones.

    I got hit by a car last October. Teenager talking on a cell phone made a left hand turn across my
    path/right-of-way. I hit her head-on on a descent. I'm guessing we were each going somewhere in the
    upper 20s (mph). Broke my pelvis, hip, ankle, fractured my spine and had severe lacerations of my
    lower left leg. I now have five permanent titanium screws holding my left leg together.

    By December I was doing roller and trainer rides indoors. By late January I was outdoors and doing
    200+ miles per week. This past Spring I had my best season ever and personal best times in a number
    of the big centuries I do.

    My point? Don't be defeated by it. Do everything you CAN do to stay fit while you're convalescing.
    After I got out of the hospital, I was basically confined to this reclining chair and I was
    non-weight bearing on the left leg for a long time. But in the recliner, I could bicycle my legs in
    the air and do all sorts of other exercises. My wife thought I was a complete lunatic, but people
    were shocked at how quickly I bounced back from a crash the doctors said should have killed me.

    Best of luck in your recovery!

    Bob C. "NEPTUNIUM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I had a similar crash like beloki 2 days ago. (similar to his I was going down hill about 35 mph.
    > It had just rained lightly. I was going around a turn when my rear tire started to slide out. Then
    > I braked and the rear went sideways on me. I saw that I was heading
    off
    > the road and into the trees, then released brakes. By this time, I was off
    the
    > pavement and in the dirt/gravel of the pull out. I tried to roll with the direction of the turn,
    > but there was too much momentum heading off the
    road. I
    > braked both brakes and laid the bike down. I got hurt this time. My left
    colar
    > bone - broke in 2 (an AC break/closest to the shoulder), left lung
    slightly
    > collapsed. I didn't notice at first but there was a lump on my head too,
    left
    > side. I checked my Bell helmet yesterday and it is fractured thoughout the inside. I really belive
    > the helmet saved me serious head injury. Can someone relate their experience, maybe if it was an
    > injury like this. greg

  3. Don Vescio

    Don Vescio Guest

    On June 10 of this year, I was hit by a car that attempted to turn left in front of me while I was
    on a training ride. I was hit twice--the first time by the car's bumper, which dislocated my left
    hip, fractured the ball of the femur and resulted in ~30% loss of the hip socket. This threw me into
    the air as the car continued forward. The windshield then struck my left shoulder, which dislocated
    it and resulted in the loss of ~45% of the glenoid (shoulder socket). This blow knocked me
    completely over the car, and I landed on my head (was wearing a helmet, fortunately), and I broke my
    nose and lost a huge amount of skin on my left arm.

    I was hospitalized for three and a half weeks, had shoulder surgery five weeks ago (no repair was
    possible--the missing bone was crushed to powder) and was wheelchair bound up to nine days ago,
    when I was cleared to begin walking again. I also was cleared to ride my Computrainer, which I've
    been doing every day for light 1/2 hour sessions. I had to rotate the handlebars on my bike upward
    to take the pressure off of my shoulder, but the riding feels really good, both mentally and
    physically. Each day, I find myself more comfortable on the bike and I look forward to riding and
    racing during the upcoming season. I'm also confident that if I continue to pursue my rehab and
    work slowly and carefully at this time, there won't be a negative impact on my future racing (other
    than I won't be field sprinting anymore because of the risk of additional shoulder damage in the
    event of a crash).

    I have to agree with Bob C., who posted above--it's hard to stay optimistic and motivated each day
    when there's so much pain associated with recovery. I just keep thinking of how far I've come and
    how I've managed to beat a lot of serious odds. Keep in mind that there has been a lot of cyclists
    who were seriously injured and still came back to race successfully--Floyd Landis broke his hip last
    January, for instance, and he just finished a successful tour.

    Good luck on your recovery.

    Don

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This probably isn't the proper forum for this discussion, and my crash
    isn't
    > that similar to yours except with respect to broken bones.
    >
    > I got hit by a car last October. Teenager talking on a cell phone made a left hand turn across my
    > path/right-of-way. I hit her head-on on a
    descent.
    > I'm guessing we were each going somewhere in the upper 20s (mph). Broke
    my
    > pelvis, hip, ankle, fractured my spine and had severe lacerations of my lower left leg. I now have
    > five permanent titanium screws holding my left leg together.
    >
    > By December I was doing roller and trainer rides indoors. By late January
    > was outdoors and doing 200+ miles per week. This past Spring I had my
    best
    > season ever and personal best times in a number of the big centuries I do.
    >
    > My point? Don't be defeated by it. Do everything you CAN do to stay fit while you're convalescing.
    > After I got out of the hospital, I was
    basically
    > confined to this reclining chair and I was non-weight bearing on the left leg for a long time. But
    > in the recliner, I could bicycle my legs in the air and do all sorts of other exercises. My wife
    > thought I was a complete lunatic, but people were shocked at how quickly I bounced back from a
    crash
    > the doctors said should have killed me.
    >
    > Best of luck in your recovery!
    >
    > Bob C. "NEPTUNIUM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I had a similar crash like beloki 2 days ago. (similar to his I was going down hill about 35
    > > mph. It had just rained lightly. I was going around a turn when my rear tire started to slide
    > > out. Then I braked and the rear went sideways on me. I saw that I was heading
    > off
    > > the road and into the trees, then released brakes. By this time, I was
    off
    > the
    > > pavement and in the dirt/gravel of the pull out. I tried to roll with
    the
    > > direction of the turn, but there was too much momentum heading off the
    > road. I
    > > braked both brakes and laid the bike down. I got hurt this time. My left
    > colar
    > > bone - broke in 2 (an AC break/closest to the shoulder), left lung
    > slightly
    > > collapsed. I didn't notice at first but there was a lump on my head too,
    > left
    > > side. I checked my Bell helmet yesterday and it is fractured thoughout
    the
    > > inside. I really belive the helmet saved me serious head injury. Can someone relate their
    > > experience, maybe if it was an injury like
    this.
    > > greg

  4. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "don vescio" <[email protected]> wrote ...
    > On June 10 of this year, I was hit by a car that attempted to turn left in front of me while I was
    > on a training ride. I was hit twice--the first
    time
    > by the car's bumper, which dislocated my left hip, fractured the ball of
    the
    > femur and resulted in ~30% loss of the hip socket. This threw me into
    the
    > air as the car continued forward. The windshield then struck my left shoulder, which dislocated it
    > and resulted in the loss of ~45% of the glenoid (shoulder socket). This blow knocked me completely
    > over the car, and I landed on my head (was wearing a helmet, fortunately), and I broke
    my
    > nose and lost a huge amount of skin on my left arm.

    Damn -- that is horrible!

    I was hit by a car 6 weeks ago -- the poor fat chick driver was sitting in the left turn lane then
    decided she had to get in the right-hand lane for some idiotic reason.

    Her tire caught my shoe, scraped off and then caught my chainstay and tacoed my rear wheel
    instantly. I was just 5 blocks out of the bike shop having just retrued the goddam thing!! Anyway, I
    did NOT go down, amazing sense of balance and reaction time and made the fat, lazy, no-seeing chick
    give me a ride home. I was going about 22 mph when she hit me and her about 7 mph.

    That sucked and I am glad I was not hurt (small bruise only) but feel badly for you.

    -Ken

    > I was hospitalized for three and a half weeks, had shoulder surgery five weeks ago (no repair was
    > possible--the missing bone was crushed to powder) and was wheelchair bound up to nine days ago,
    > when I was cleared to begin walking again. I also was cleared to ride my Computrainer, which I've
    > been doing every day for light 1/2 hour sessions. I had to rotate the
    handlebars
    > on my bike upward to take the pressure off of my shoulder, but the riding feels really good, both
    > mentally and physically. Each day, I find
    myself
    > more comfortable on the bike and I look forward to riding and racing durin
    > the upcoming season. I'm also confident that if I continue to pursue my rehab and work slowly and
    > carefully at this time, there won't be a
    negative
    > impact on my future racing (other than I won't be field sprinting anymore because of the risk of
    > additional shoulder damage in the event of a
    crash).

    > I have to agree with Bob C., who posted above--it's hard to stay
    optimistic
    > and motivated each day when there's so much pain associated with recovery. I just keep thinking of
    > how far I've come and how I've managed to beat a
    lot
    > of serious odds. Keep in mind that there has been a lot of cyclists who were seriously injured and
    > still came back to race successfully--Floyd Landis broke his hip last January, for instance, and
    > he just finished a successful tour.
    >
    > Good luck on your recovery.
    >
    > Don

  5. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    My chain of events was actually quite similar to yours. I hit her right front fender at the wheel
    well. That broke my hip and pelvis and the edge of the wheel well caused the lacerations to my leg.
    Then I went into the windshield. Eye witnesses said I glanced off the windshield and went way up in
    the air. I also landed squarely on my head -- causing the compression fracture to my spine. I was in
    the air for a long enough time to have two thoughts: 1) God, that first impact really hurt and 2)
    God, is this second impact going to kill me? It didn't. But I came to rest laying squarely on the
    hip that was all but fractured clear through. Naturally, nobody would move me despite my begging. It
    was absolutely brutal. But I wouldn't have moved me if I were them, either.

    In the emergency room, the doctor said, "If you weren't in such great shape, that crash would have
    killed you ..." I replied, "I owe my condition to the bike." ;-)

    Bob C. "don vescio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > > the
    > > > pavement and in the dirt/gravel of the pull out. I tried to roll with
    > the
    > > > direction of the turn, but there was too much momentum heading off the
    > > road. I
    > > > braked both brakes and laid the bike down. I got hurt this time. My
    left
    > > colar
    > > > bone - broke in 2 (an AC break/closest to the shoulder), left lung
    > > slightly
    > > > collapsed. I didn't notice at first but there was a lump on my head
    too,
    > > left
    > > > side. I checked my Bell helmet yesterday and it is fractured thoughout
    > the
    > > > inside. I really belive the helmet saved me serious head injury. Can someone relate their
    > > > experience, maybe if it was an injury like

  6. Joel Lowrie

    Joel Lowrie Guest

    Wow, that sounds rough. I work in a rehab hospital and believe me the last thing i ever want is a
    severe head injury.

    On Thursday I had a crash, but not nearly as bad. I was rear ended in the middle of the right lane
    at a stoplight. The car launched the bike, with me attached thanks to clips and straps, five or six
    feet forward into the intersection. I landed on my right side and spent the next few seconds
    wondering if I could get my right foot out of the clip before being run over by oncoming traffic.
    Luckily I did get my foot out and was able to get out of the intersection safely. I wasn't badly
    hurt, a broken toe and sprained ankle on my left foot, a stiff lower back, and a chainring bite on
    my right ankle. As far as the bike, taco’d rear wheel, bent rear derailleur & hanger, bent
    chainstay, bent seatstays and bent rear rack. This was with a chromoly frame.

    The lady who hit me (really nice, sincerely apologetic, and more shook up from the accident than
    myself) gave me a ride to work, and bought me a brand new Cannondale this afternoon. :)

  7. "psycholist" <[email protected]> writes:

    > This probably isn't the proper forum for this discussion,

    Sure it is. And I believe the tradtion is to report back when you've taken your first real dump.

    -Gerard

  8. Don Vescio

    Don Vescio Guest

    I had the exact same experience--I was conscious the entire time and had similar thoughts when I
    heard the sound that my body was making as it bounced off the car both times. The investigating
    police and the hospital's trauma team both said that they couldn't figure out how I lived through
    the accident, other than the fact that I was really fit from training. Also, this fitness has done
    me well in rehab. Originally, it was projected that I wouldn't even be walking with assistance 'til
    Labor Day; here I am now riding indoors and walking unassisted (and even able to keyboard on my PC,
    for that matter).

    I think that the hard part will be riding on the roads again. In eastern Massachusetts, there's lots
    of cars around....

    Take care-

> [...]

    > > > season ever and personal best times in a number of the big centuries I
    > do.
    > > >
    > > > My point? Don't be defeated by it. Do everything you CAN do to stay
    > fit
    > > > while you're convalescing. After I got out of the hospital, I was
    > > basically
    > > > confined to this reclining chair and I was non-weight bearing on the
    > left
    > > > leg for a long time. But in the recliner, I could bicycle my legs in
    > the
    > > > air and do all sorts of other exercises. My wife thought I was a
    > complete
    > > > lunatic, but people were shocked at how quickly I bounced back from a
    > > crash
    > > > the doctors said should have killed me.
    > > >
    > > > Best of luck in your recovery!
    > > >
    > > > Bob C. "NEPTUNIUM" <[email protected]> wrote in message

  9. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    experience talking, I'm sure. Asshole. "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > This probably isn't the proper forum for this discussion,
    >
    > Sure it is. And I believe the tradtion is to report back when you've taken your first real dump.
    >
    > -Gerard

  10. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YeZWa.51994$o%[email protected]...

    > instantly. I was just 5 blocks out of the bike shop having just retrued the goddam thing!! Anyway,
    > I did NOT go down, amazing sense of balance and reaction time and made the fat, lazy, no-seeing
    > chick give me a ride home.

    And you call others mean spirited. Take a look in the mirror.

  11. Kyle Legate wrote:
    > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YeZWa.51994$o%[email protected]...
    >
    >>instantly. I was just 5 blocks out of the bike shop having just retrued the goddam thing!! Anyway,
    >>I did NOT go down, amazing sense of balance and reaction time and made the fat, lazy, no-seeing
    >>chick give me a ride home.
    >>

    > And you call others mean spirited. Take a look in the mirror.

    I wonder how they fit two people and a bike on a Razor...

  12. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected] @free.teranews.com...

    > "Ken Papai" <ken
    > > instantly. I was just 5 blocks out of the bike shop having just retrued the goddam thing!!
    > > Anyway, I did NOT go down, amazing sense of balance and reaction time and made the fat, lazy,
    > > no-seeing chick give me a ride home.
    > >
    > And you call others mean spirited. Take a look in the mirror.

    Kyle I was hoping for a reaction like yours. Is there ANY reason I needed to be nice in this
    situation?

  13. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Ken Papai wrote:
    > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected] @free.teranews.com...
    >
    >>"Ken Papai" <ken
    >>
    >>>instantly. I was just 5 blocks out of the bike shop having just retrued the goddam thing!!
    >>>Anyway, I did NOT go down, amazing sense of balance and reaction time and made the fat, lazy,
    >>>no-seeing chick give me a ride home.
    >>>

    >>And you call others mean spirited. Take a look in the mirror.
    >

    > Kyle I was hoping for a reaction like yours. Is there ANY reason I needed to be nice in this
    > situation?

    I have been in a similar situation, knocked down by someone who made a serious driving error. There
    is some satisfaction that comes from handling the situation with dignity.

    Bret

  14. "psycholist" <[email protected]> writes:

    > experience talking, I'm sure. Asshole. "Gerard Lanois" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > "psycholist" <[email protected]> writes:
    > >
    > > > This probably isn't the proper forum for this discussion,
    > >
    > > Sure it is. And I believe the tradtion is to report back when you've taken your first real dump.
    > >
    > > -Gerard

    Dumbass,

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uwSdnavPwPDB4_OgXTWQlg%40News.GigaNews.Com

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=8s7oca%24gii%241%40babu.pcisys.net

    Nice to meet you too, you booger-eating knuckle-dragging top-poster.

    -Gerard

  15. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ken Papai wrote:
    > > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected] @free.teranews.com...
    > >
    > >>"Ken Papai" <ken

    ride

    > >>And you call others mean spirited. Take a look in the mirror.
    > >

    > > Kyle I was hoping for a reaction like yours. Is there ANY reason I needed to be nice in this
    > > situation?
    >
    > I have been in a similar situation, knocked down by someone who made a serious driving error.
    > There is some satisfaction that comes from handling the situation with dignity.

    Who said I didn't? I can vent on RBR but am not so immature as to vent to this fat, poor,
    should-have-her-drivers-license-yanked woman.

    > Bret

  16. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:YeZWa.51994$o%[email protected]...
    > >
    > > instantly. I was just 5 blocks out of the bike shop having just retrued the goddam thing!!
    > > Anyway, I did NOT go down, amazing sense of balance and reaction time and made the fat, lazy,
    > > no-seeing chick give me a ride home.
    > >
    > And you call others mean spirited. Take a look in the mirror.

    lol

    Dashii

  17. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ken Papai wrote:
    > > > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected] @free.teranews.com...

    > retrued
    > ride

    > > > Kyle I was hoping for a reaction like yours. Is there ANY reason I needed to be nice in this
    > > > situation?
    > >
    > > I have been in a similar situation, knocked down by someone who made a serious driving error.
    > > There is some satisfaction that comes from handling the situation with dignity.
    >
    > Who said I didn't? I can vent on RBR but am not so immature as to vent to this fat, poor,
    > should-have-her-drivers-license-yanked woman.

    She (the fatso) got off easy, some guys would've ripped her head off and shit down her neck!

    lol

    Dashii

  18. Mriordan95

    Mriordan95 Guest

    There are two categories of cyclists -

    1) Those that treat crashes and road rash as "war wounds" and something to brag about. or 2) others
    that look at road rash and crashes as a signal to be wary of that rider as a potential hazard.

    Reading this thread, most people here fall in the first category.

  19. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    psycholist wrote:

    > experience talking, I'm sure. Asshole.

    i couldn't figure the reason for psycholist's post and angry tone except that maybe he hasn't
    experienced the constipating effect of injuries and pain killers (??)

    i didn't go for a couple of days after they shot me full of demerol.

    heather luvs talking about poo

  20. Neptunium

    Neptunium Guest

    Thanks for the encouragement. I am just beginning to feel ok. Almost able to take a full breath
    since 3 days. I think I will be OK. thank you. greg