I just dont undertand this

San Remo GT

Aug 17, 2005
When it comes to prices, heres what I cant understand:
Scott Addict Ltd Cd 2009 - £7,599.05 - Bonthrone Bikes

Honda CBR600RR (2009-current) - Honda Motorcycle Reviews

These items are both similar in price but what advantage does the "Scott Addict Ltd Cd 2009" have over the Honda CBR? Sure enough the bicycle will keep your heart beating longer but from a technical viewpoint, I just cannot justify paying money for a bicycle when I can get high quality racing motorcycle for the same money. An engine has far more components and far more stuff to setup than a bicycle has. The bicycle has less materials and takes less time to make than a race tuned motorcycle.

In this example I really dont think that bicycle is worth £7500, unless it was gold plated but it would be too heavy.

The bike isn't worth that much or cost that much to build but....as long as people are willing to buy at that price,they are willing to sell for that price!:D

two wheels said:
The bike isn't worth that much or cost that much to build but....as long as people are willing to buy at that price,they are willing to sell for that price!:D

Yes, it's as simple as that: These high-end racing bikes costs as much as they do simply because people are willing to pay that kind of money for them. Total cost to manufacture and assemble that Scott Addict you quoted (and its components and wheels) is probably of the order of £700 or so... Oh, and if you get a lower-end racing bike costing maybe £1,500, then that bike may have cost maybe £500 to manufacture and assemble. Draw your own conclusions.

Dietmar said:
Yes, it's as simple as that: These high-end racing bikes costs as much as they do simply because people are willing to pay that kind of money for them. Total cost to manufacture and assemble that Scott Addict you quoted (and its components and wheels) is probably of the order of £700 or so... Oh, and if you get a lower-end racing bike costing maybe £1,500, then that bike may have cost maybe £500 to manufacture and assemble. Draw your own conclusions.

My own conclusion at the moment is the Saracen Ariel 1 07 for about £650.

Thats a more sane price range for someone whos only income is a full time job. My intentions are basic mountain climbing. All I wanna do is cycle up, and then come back down over rough terrain at quite a speed. For this price, is this one about as good as I can get or could someone recommend something better?

San Remo GT said:
My own conclusion at the moment is the Saracen Ariel 1 07 for about £650.

Thats a more sane price range for someone whos only income is a full time job. My intentions are basic mountain climbing. All I wanna do is cycle up, and then come back down over rough terrain at quite a speed. For this price, is this one about as good as I can get or could someone recommend something better?
I'm not familiar with the Saracen Ariel you are contemplating buying ... but, DOWNHILL bikes are designed/made/sold with forks AND rear suspensions which have much more travel than a typical MTB ...

You may want to rethink your intended riding AND the bike you plan to do it on.

Better (i.e., more expensive) bikes have better suspension components ... a £650 MTB is not designed for going as fast as you are inferring you plan-to-or-hope-to ride.

alfeng said:
I'm not familiar with the Saracen Ariel you are contemplating buying ... but, DOWNHILL bikes are designed/made/sold with forks AND rear suspensions which have much more travel than a typical MTB ...

You may want to rethink your intended riding AND the bike you plan to do it on.

Better (i.e., more expensive) bikes have better suspension components ... a £650 MTB is not designed for going as fast as you are inferring you plan-to-or-hope-to ride.

Thats my limit as far as money goes so it will have to do I suppose. As for my type of riding, I just want what I want. Cheers for the replies guys