I just -- FINALLY -- bought a bike!

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, y'all![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #0000ff]After 2 months of asking you questions and doing research, I finally bought a bike today! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff]http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecsFB.aspx?Year=2010&Brand=Raleigh&Model=Calispel%20I8%20Women's&Type=bike[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]
image2.aspx

It looks tan in the picture, but is really a warmer metallic color, kind of a pale burnished gold. It wasn't the prettiest of the bikes I tested, but it's the one that felt the best and that I didn't want to get off of, so that's what we went by. The salesman actually spent 3 literal hours with us, measuring me with this special laser thingie that measures shoulder width, pubic bone height, arm length, and height, and formulates some geometry thing that tells him which type of bike I need. He answered all my questions (and then some), and asked me so many it was like being interviewed for a big job, lol. After all the measuring and the questions and the discussing exactly what I want to do with biking, he brought out 4 different ones brands/styles for me to ride around the parking lot. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]I was so impressed; he actually took each one back to the repair part of the shop and made sure the tire pressure was good and everything was trued, and then measured each one with this big thing that he had calibrated to the geometry I need, and adjusted each seat and handlebar to fit me. After riding the 4 around the parking lot, this one ended up wanting to come home with me. But the bike in the store was actually a medium and I need a large (He said he could tell by watching me ride, though the medium felt good to me), so they have to order it, and it won't be available for a week -- which means I don't get to see it until after we get back from Hawaii November 23, darn it.

I'm already having buyer's remorse, wondering if I should have bought one of the other 4 bikes that I thought was prettier, lol. But this one really felt better under me than that one, and I'm trying to be practical for maybe the first time in my life. I don't think it's UGLY, mind you, it just doesn't make my heart go pittypat like some do. And I may like the looks better once I actually see mine fitted with its rack and fenders and basket and bell and all the pretties. It was also fairly cheap in comparison to what we were expecting to pay, coming to $570 or so with tax and shipping, so Frugal Hubby is very happy about that.

Anyway, I bought a bike, and am glad to have the search over with. Now to get to actually riding again!![/COLOR]

Good choice. Don't get buyer's remorse. Riding is all about feel, not looks. Your body doesn't care if the bike is the prettiest one, it cares if the bike fits it and if it is comfortable riding it. Your body has to pedal it, your eyes are just along for the ride. And hey, you not going to be looking at your bike while you ride, you'll be looking at the scenery(hopefully). Well, now you'll stop "bugging" us with your questions about which bike to buy. Now I suppose we'll be hearing from you about accessories?

Really though, the specs are nearly right in line with what you wanted, with the exception of the adjustable stem. And all of the components are good, sturdy, proven components. Raleigh Bicycles are well made bikes, and it sounds like you found a really good LBS. It is really good to develop a positive relationship with your LBS and the best way to start the relationship is to buy a bike from them. It can really pay off if you continue to patronize them. Although I do all of my own repairs and service, I purchase all of my parts, tools, and accessories from one shop. Since they have gotten to know me, I normally get a 10% discount on anything I purchase, I get advance notice of any sales and they track items that I am interested in to let me know if they go on sale. They have loaned me tools and given me some that they had sitting on the shelf for a couple of years just to get rid of them. They have also hooked me up with other recreational riders who like to ride the same areas that I do, and they also sponsor small group rides that I am always invited to. If you find a good LBS, be good to them and they will be good to you.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, KD.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It does help to know that people who KNOW bikes approve of my choice. You're right that I won't be looking at it, anyway, while I'm riding it. And I don't care (too much) about what people think when I ride by. (They're probably staring at my backside, anyway, lol.) I'm truly glad you said it has good components. Since this wasn't one of the brands I had studied beforehand, I wasn't sure about the components, and was just trusting Ken (the bike shop guy), who seemed to really know his stuff and to understand what I need. (He actually brought up that it didn't have an adjustable stem, and said that he didn't really think I needed that at this point, anyway, with the simple riding I do.) [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I would intend fully to patronize only this bike shop and develop a relationship with them, out of simple loyalty and appreciation if nothing else, but for the fact that we'll be moving out of state in a couple months and that won't be possible. It is a shame, because this experience was the first time that I understood what y'all were talking about with good bike shops, my other experiences having been fairly disastrous. So I really was thrilled with this one; if only I could take Ken to Arizona, lol. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm sure my buyer's remorse will go away once I actually have the bike with me and can start riding it; it just felt so darned good in the parking lot! I remember saying, "It feels like I can fly!" So I just have to get it and name her and start enjoying the outdoors again.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the response, I needed it. And appreciate it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

Remember that Bike that makes your heart go pitty pat is still not out of reach. Try renting one while you are in Hawaii. I bet that frugal husband of yours heart will go bitty bang when he see's you on it and I dont have to tell you how much you both will enjoy your vacation./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Anyways good choice. I agree with KD you are setting up a valuable relationship with your LBS. You will be satisfied.
Dave

[COLOR= #0000ff]Lol, thanks Dave![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hubby is definitely happy that we didn't buy one of the $1000 bikes I was lusting after, lol. But actually, so am I, having ridden the ones I did. It was funny how I stopped wanting the other ones once I got on these! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I was thinking of renting one in Hawaii, but I've only ridden on flat bike paths without traffic, and where we're going in Maui there are only crowded traffic-y streets and unpaved paths with lots of hills, so I'm kind of afraid to do that there. I'm actually thinking of renting an exercise bike and setting it on the lanai facing the ocean, lol, just so I don't get any further out of shape. At least I can paddle around in the water there, hanging onto my boogy board. I can't wait![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]And you're not only absolutely right about the bikes that make my heart go pitty-pat, but you're echoing what I was thinking: After a year or two of getting good at riding on this one, if I still want a more showy bike, I can get it then. Right now I just have to learn how to use non-coaster brakes quickly without running into anything, and how to mount a bike properly! My cruiser has flat-foot technology, so I've always been able to just stand over the bike, sit on the seat, and then start pedaling. You can't do that with these bikes, so you wouldn't BELIEVE how bruised up my calves are from banging them into the pedals, trying to learn to mount the darned bike in the parking lot with everybody watching! I felt like such a doofus. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]But as long as the new one is good for my training and my tour next year, she'll be fine. And I'll name her after I see her personality in a few weeks. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Croc, I intend to! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

Sierra, Again, congratulations! I like the fact (according to the specs that you listed) that this bike has a quill-type stem instead of the more prevalent threadless stems. Your stem may not be adjustable, but with a quill-type stem you can easily install another stem if you want it higher (or you can adjust the present stem higher if it isn't already at the top limit), or if you want to install a different type bar that needs a different stem. Not that you will need to do any of these, once the shop sets up the bike properly for you; which they no doubt will. So enjoy it when you get it, and tell us all about it. Steve

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Steve.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm so excited that everybody seems to approve of my choice so far! I was afraid people would be going, "God, what did you buy THAT for???", lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I forgot to tell y'all that we did change the handlebars on the bike when we ordered it, from the ones on the stock photo shown to one not swept back nearly so much that is more like a flat bar. I don't remember what that handlebar was CALLED, lol, so can't give you lots of information. I just remember liking it better on one of the other bikes I rode. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I also picked out a rear-view mirror and a brass bell with the loveliest tone. And am looking at baskets and racks and fenders, which I can't pick out until I have the bike in front of me and can see what looks good on her. Am considering brass fenders... because they would be so pretty with the color. God, I'm hooked. It's really sad, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm STOKED about getting it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Well, we can fix you up with accessories that will double the value of your bike! (kidding, kind of...) In the Rivendellizing of my bike, I've been looking at saddle bags (that hang behind the saddle, that is). Now that I've got a cool Brooks saddle with bag loops, those black nylon things won't do. The normal type of road bike saddle bag is a little wedgy thing that tucks under the seat and holds minimal tools. Elegant bags (some would say Retro) range in size from very small to very large. You bike is retro-looking enough that elegant luggage is definitely called for. If you're interested, check out Velo Orange, Rivendell and Harris Cyclery for appropriate bags. I just want to carry some basic compact tools, like I used to carry in my budging jersey pockets. As a matter of fact, tomorrow I'm going to Velo Orange's first every garage sale in Annapolis. I'm pretty excited about this because they are never open on the weekend, and that's the only time I can get to Annapolis. They are giving 20% on all items, with garage sale items priced cheaper. There are several things that I plan to buy, and I'll save shipping costs. Anyway, there's a little saddle bag that I want. BTW, I've never hear of brass fenders, did you see some? I agree that metal ones are classier than the black plastic ones that are cheaper. Does your bike come with fenders? Must look at specs again.

That's a good looking bike, Sierra!

We will require pics once you get yours home, of course.

Congratulations and may you have many happy miles! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, you two![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Paramount, I'm so glad you think she's pretty, lol. I'm like a mom with a new baby she wants people to like. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif I will try posting some pictures as soon as I get her all dolled up. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]And Steve, you have GOT to stop telling me about expensive bike thingies, LOL. Frugal Hubby will NOT like that.... especially since I can tell him that, having saved about $600 over the bike I had previously been planning to buy, I can certainly spend some of that on accessores. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif I have never been one to like the basic black canvas/nylon stuff in ANY area of life. I like things a little different, and I like them classy. I've already seen one basket I'd like to have that would give Hubby a cardiac arrest... I may have to save up for that one on my own!! I wish I were in Annapolis so I could go check out the bike gadgets too. How fun would that be![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I think I can find the link to the brass fenders.... Nope, it's not a web site, it's a brand: Tanaka brass fenders, sold at several sporting stores for $75 and up, from what I can see at quick glance. I wish they had them hammered.... wow, pretty! Here's the cheapest one I found in my 30-second search: http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/tanaka-traditional-fender-set-700cx-40mm-brass-fr.html?source=googleps You may be able to find them cheaper now that we know the brand. My biking buddy/LBS guy Ken told me about them. They would match the brass bell I got. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Unfortunately, my bike doesn't come with fenders or basket or rack. So I'll have to see if Ken will give me a good deal on them. Since he told me about the brass ones, I'm assuming he's quite willing to sell them to me, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the encouragement, y'all! Happy pedaling! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

I am not saying the bike is ugly, but it reminds me of the story about the
lady that got on the train with her ugly baby and the conductor told her
she would have to take her monkey to the baggage car!

It is a nice looking bike, the main part is do you like your monkey,,, baby,,, bike?

[COLOR= #0000ff]ROFL,OL!![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Gonna have to smack you, BH! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]

Those brass fenders are cool, Sierra. I'm sure they will look great on your bike. $75 isn't too bad for good metal fenders, I don't think. Steve

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm fairly certain Frugal Hubby would think $75 is too much to pay for fenders, lol, but I'm willing to cough that up from my stash. However....[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Last night I found some wooden ones online that are in the $200 range. They are GORGEOUS. But even a free spender like me has hesitations about spending $200 for fenders on a $500 bike, lol. Still... they would be awfully pretty. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif (I am in SUCH trouble here, LOL.) In case the picture disappears into one of those little red Xs, here's the link:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]http://www.etsy.com/listing/44913360/custom-wood-bicycle-fenders-700c-or-26 Now, these are PRETTY, don'tcha think? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]I'm trying to ask myself it they would be practical. Sigh.... I really hate that word. LOL![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Happy pedaling. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]
il_570xN.137768806.jpg
[/COLOR]

Those wooden fenders are very nice alright. I'm very partial to handsome wood, but I also agree with your statement. I'm a fairly free spender with my bike stuff, but I might have to draw the line at those. Just got back from the Velo Orange sale, I think I'm done spending for now. Got some great bargains, though. I got to see a lot of bikes, bags and baskets in person rather that on the screen. That's valuable. And I also got to see a Sam Hillborne bike in person (they don't sell them, it was a customer's I guess). Let me just say that seeing it didn't dampen my lust. But for now, I'm happy to further refine by own (pretty) bike with these new parts, and I think I will be very satisfied to keep it for a while. Have fun anticipating your new ride! Steve

I think you got a pretty classy looking bike and if it rides nice like you said I don't think you should have any regrets. The wood fenders you discovered are indeed lovely. They remind me of a 1950s Ford Squire. They are expensive, but would really make the bike sing. I'd be afraid of getting them marked up if I took a spill. I put a link below to a site that sells wood fenders and chain guards. Most of the fenders are between $100-120 USD with an extra $10 for shipping. A fair bit cheaper than the ones you found, but some really nice and unique looking fenders.

http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&sort=20a&page=1

[COLOR= #0000ff]Aw, Stater, did you have to go and show me those??? Lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I don't think I've seen anything that pretty in a really long time. I just looked at all 57 pages of them. Man, is that guy a woodworker! I do love rich warm wood.... sigh..... And the CHAIN GUARDS!! Holy cow. I never knew such a thing was possible in wood.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I may have to make Retired Hubby get busy on his Shopsmith!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the great link![/COLOR]

Sierra,

I didn't notice when I first came across the site that the picture of the fenders you found were curved inward to go over and around the tire, whereas the link I posted were flat fenders that just sit above the tire. The wood compound curve fenders more similar to the ones you discovered are all around $200, which makes sense because it looks like the ones each of us found are made by the same guy.

http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9