I Just Finished My First 10-Mile Ride!

Sierra -

Knee replacement is a LOT of rehab work to recover from. I had my Achilles repaired a few years ago and rehabbed with knee replacement patients. Necessary when pain is too great and mobility seriously curtailed, but seemed like a huge amount of mental strength needed for rehab. I know what I went through, but had greater respect for my "knee compadres" and the challenges they faced.

Ski season has started for me, so if I ride 1 day a week now I'm lucky. Hate being off my bike. Looking into indoor training options also. Thought I would go with reduced radius rollers, then started looking at e-Motion rollers, but not something I think my wife would enjoy. The cyclops pro indoor cycles have caught my eye - I know my wife would be more inclined to train on that, but ouch on the expense. Have access to Johnny spin bikes at the health club, lifecycles, and 3 other styles of electronic cycle trainers, but none of them are anywhere near as enjoyable as riding a bike outside. They're work! :)

Your desire to be riding is a big part of the equation .. don't lose that! Finding the right solution for bad weather or lack of daylight is the challenge. Good luck!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Sitzmark.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I KNOW the knee replacement recovery is a biggie -- that's why I'm trying to put it off, lol. Even my surgeon says it's difficult, and the docs aren't usually ones to discourage surgery. I had arthroscopic knee surgery in the late 80s for a meniscal tear, and unfortunately it didn't help at all and in fact seemed to make it worse. I also was about 50% bone-on-bone in the last scan they took 2 years ago, and of course that kind of thing doesn't get better, so it's probably a little worse now. Because the knee (my right one) has been so bad, for years I've limped onto my left ankle, with the result that IT'S now bad, lol, so I can't walk pain-free on either side. I'm hoping against hope that if I lose all the weight I need to lose through cycling, taking the excess poundage off the knee and improving my leg muscles will allow me to put off the surgery even longer and maybe indefinitely, though the doc says it will almost certainly happen eventually. But at least the recovery will be easier 10 years down the road if I'm slender and have good leg muscles. My mobility IS seriously impaired, in that I can't walk more than a block or two, and climbing stairs is so painful as to be almost impossible. But I won't have the surgery until I absolutely have to -- and at my age, if I put it off for 10 years or whatever, it almost wouldn't be worth it in my 70s, so I may get to sneak by without it. I hope. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I am SUCH a sunshine freak, and these rainy winters coupled with not being able to ride are getting me so down, that I'll probably buy a trainer of some kind within the next few weeks, if I can squeeze more money out of the budget. Years ago I saw videos for cyclists where you pedal 'down the road' you're looking at on the video, and so it's kind of like you get to be outside watching the scenery, even though you're not. I would love to find something like that to put in front of the trainer, and just go for it. If all else fails, I'll put on a slide show of my pictures of Hawaii. I can't give up biking, it means too much to me. As you said, I just have to figure out how to make it work and find the solution for now.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'll work on it. THANKS![/COLOR]

This thread is a good read and well done on meeting your cycling goals. It doesn't matter what your glaos are wether they are 10 miles or 100 miles when you get there it is very rewarding. I havn't been out on my bike for about 5 to 6 months, but finally tomorrow I have a chance and hopefully will get a chance once a week from now on and eventually twice ( 3 kids and two of them under 3 are time consumeing ), I hope to increase my mileage gradually over time and if all goes to plan hopefully ridse a century in the next couple of years. So once again congrats on meeting your goal and keep the thread going who knows you might just be inspireing a ferw of us!!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Scottri, and thanks![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It DOES feel good to finally be up to 10 miles. I hope it doesn't take me as long to get up to 20, lol. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Three kids that small would certainly keep you busy, so I hope you get to really enjoy your bike ride -- and that you get to do it more often. I can't even imagine doing a century yet, but let's face it, 6 months ago I couldn't imagine going 5 miles, so anything is possible. Maybe we can make that a mutual goal. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I would love to be of some small inspiration to other newbies here, since the experienced bikers have been so encouraging to me. Trying to inspire is about all I CAN do, not knowing anything yet about specific bikes or training or whatever. But if I can be a cheerleader for the sport, just hand me the pom-poms, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks again, and happy pedaling![/COLOR]

Congrats on another success Sierra! I know it must feel great to see your determination/hard work paying off.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Keh![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It does feel good, and attagirls from nice cyclists like I find here make it even more so. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I appreciate the support! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by Jim Moore .

Quote: Originally Posted by sat1955 .

What is your age? If you cant ride ten miles even at 75 years of age your in bad shape. Try 21000' and 200 miles at 54

Yabbut, she's not a ****, like you.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

I think that pretty well sums it up.....

[COLOR= #0000ff]Lol, Paramount,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I love you guys! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It reminds me of when I was 14 and started dating. A college guy took me out on a date and got wayyyy too heavy-handed. When I got home, I told Mom I wouldn't go out with him again, and told her why. I didn't know my big brother -- not only 6 years older but also 6'5" and 275, all muscle -- overheard me from the hallway. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I found out later he followed the guy to the drive-in movie, bought a ticket, and parked near him. During the movie he went over to the guy, reached in through the open window, pulled him more than halfway out, and said, "I hear you got a little fresh with my sister last week. I wouldn't let it happen again," and dropped him -- so he fell headfirst into the dirt outside his car. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Y'all have made my day. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/COLOR]

I've got another "attagirl" coming your way, SierraSlim!

I've been reading about your progress over the last couple months here and there, but I haven't posted anything. I, too, just got back into riding this year after not having done so since HS 18 years ago. What got me going was that a friend of mine is the local Executive Director for the local Habitat for Humanity chapter and they've done a 7-day, 360-mile tour of Indiana (fundraising/awareness) for the last 7 years now. At one point in my training, I tried to go out when I wasn't well, made it two miles out before I had to turn around and come home--I then coughed for two hours solid. I trained as much as I could, but before Day 1 of the ride, I had not ridden more than 25 miles in one session in my life. That day, I rode 55 miles, most of it into the wind. The next day was 72 miles, into even stronger winds. I was ready to quit. But, I got a good night's sleep, and kept at it. Part of my encouragement was that there were several elderly folks on the ride--the oldest was 78. He wasn't fast, but he finished every day. There was also a 74 year old gentleman who looked like he was 90 when he was walking, but pedaled at 100 RPM and maintained a pretty good pace. Now I am helping to plan (and very much looking forward to) next year's ride!

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you to stick with it. One thing I've found helpful is to eat some protein immediately after your ride--it will help the muscles recover and boost your metabolism. When I'm training from home, I keep whey protein drink mix around and drink that right after a ride. From what I've read about your riding, you're doing well. I started at 35, 6', 180 lbs, with a physical job (painting contractor), and was kind of surprised at how difficult it was compared to what I remembered riding when I was 18. Now, I wouldn't hesitate to do a century ride--and that's just in this year with a few months off of riding during my busiest work months.

Jason

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, JPR![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]And thanks! I'll take all the attagirls I can get, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]But YOU deserve a major pat on the back as well, I see from your postl! Congratulations on getting back into biking, and for such a good cause, too! Anybody who can ride 55 miles into the wind on their first tour in 18 years has MY respect, big-time! And then 72 miles the next day, with stronger winds??? I would be calling that Sag wagon; heck, they'd probably be calling the coroner's wagon, lol. I am seriously impressed! And your tale of the 78-year-old and 90-year-old gives me such hope. I wanna be one of those fast old-timers some day -- and those days (being an old-timer) are closer than I like to think, lol. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I think a whey protein drink is an awesome idea after my rides! I could mix it in some skim milk and make a smoothie or something. I already am mixing it in my oatmeal in the mornings, and find that it makes a big difference in how I feel a few hours later, if I forget to put it in. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I appreciate both the encouragement and the advice. I'll be looking forward to reading about your progress and your future century ride![/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks again, Jason.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra [/COLOR]

Hi, Sierra - new to the forum here. As indicated by my ID I'm participating in one of the IronGirl 2011 events here in Maryland. Like yourself, right now I'm new to cycling. I'm 39 y/o, and hovering around 300# myself but I've lost close to 50# since last August through a mix of various cardio programs, spinning, swimming and weightlifting. I'm currently riding my sister's Nishiki hybrid (I don't think it's a good fit for me and I'm going to have this looked into POST-HASTE) ... but one of my first rides out a couple of months ago was a 10-miler. I thought I was going to die that last mile too - even with the gel seat over the saddle I had to make several stops for relief. There was one hill I had to walk and I think I finished my 10 miles in about an hour like you did. I am terrified of the cycling portion of the triathlon (it's a sprint - 1000m swim/17.5 mi bike ride and a 5K run. I can walk the 5K if I need to and my swimming is on point). I've been riding using my spin cleats to clip into the pedals and I'm always scared of falling. I say all that to say that one of my fellow IG's told me that beginning in a couple of weeks, we're going to start riding the race course, so I'll have a 20 mile ride every weekend probably between May 15-ish and the beginning of August. Let us PRAY!

(I came across your name researching a style of bike that would be good for someone in my weight range and started reading a lot of your posts. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your insights/struggles/progress)

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Iron!Girl![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. CONGRATULATIONS on your journey toward getting healthy (not to mention slimmer!!) along the way. I don't think slender people have any idea how much those extra pounds we carry make it harder to get up and DO something, so we fatties have a lot to be proud of in going for it. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I haven't posted in months and months out of simple busy-ness -- and the fact that we've had so much rain I've only been able to get out about twice a month --, but I've now done a TWENTY-mile ride in the past month, so re-reading this post and seeing my first 10-miler brought back memories -- and allowed me to see the progress I'm making, which has been so slow I was getting discouraged, so this was good for me. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I'm so impressed that you're going for a triathlon. Doing all that in one day has my mind spinning, but with your good attitude I know you'll make it. Way to go!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes. I'm rooting for you![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Slim, I have been worried about you! It has been MONTHS!

Had to post this and come back with an edit to add a second line!
This damn forum gives me fits!

Once you do a twenty, fifty and a hundred are easy! Just keep going!
I did 82 in five hours last week!

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hi, Brad![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I'm so sorry I worried you. It has been a rough few months since November for me. I've been helping with my best friend, who is dying slowly of cancer, and then they discovered intestinal cancer in my father-in-law, actually did surgery on him at the age of 96 (!!), and he very nearly died -- to the point we were planning funeral arrangements -- but has now begun to recover, though he will probably never be 'normal' again, and they have moved him to a permanent care facility. With all that going on, biking should have been my stress relief, but we have had the rainiest winter and spring in the city's history, so I rarely got out more than twice a month. What a mess!! But the weather seems to have finally decided that maybe it should be spring, we're having some sunshine, and I'm enjoying getting back into my biking, which of course is helping my mood considerably. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Though I haven't posted, I have thought of my friends here OFTEN, and wondered if you all were able to keep up your biking in the bad-weather months. I haven't been, as I said, which makes my upcoming bike tour on June 4th a lot more intimidating than I'd thought it would be last Fall, but I'm going ahead with it anyway, and trying to cram 4 months of training into this month for it, lol. I'm actually about to post a question about that in the training section or cafe or something.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Anyway, thnks for the welcome back. I should be posting more often again now that life has returned to semi-normal for me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Have a good one!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Me[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I thought of you, Slim, as I ventured out Saturday morning. My intention was to ride a full 20 miles, but at mile 15 I nearly gave up the ghost. I made the last mile back to my truck and managed to get the bike in the back and EVERYTHING. I was correct in that the bike I'm riding is NOT a good fit for me as it presently stands. My poor knees were crying bloody murder, quite simply *hangs head* because the seat was too low.

We shall NOT discuss the other EXQUISITE pain I was feeling.

I think for my third ride out, however, 16 miles is not so bad of a showing. I also took the liberty of ordering a decent pair of padded shorts, once I found a retailer who had true plus sizes...

One of the other IronGirls told me that we're going to the bike course on Sunday morning - I do not expect to be able to keep up with ANYONE as there are some hills, but I'll at least have my seat adjusted and hopefully have my shorts by then. Hopefully I'll have good news to report next week on this front. Nice to see you back. *smile* Thanks for the vote of confidence, it means a lot coming from someone who knows the "struggle".

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Oh, IronGirl, have I been there!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Some days the body just will NOT cooperate, no matter how willing the spirit is. I have never been able to figure out why I can do 20 miles one day and feel great, and 3 days later 12 miles seems like 200! But it happens to us all, I think. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]PLEASE be sure you're not injuring your knees. I have a bad knee (putting off replacement), and even with my bad knee, it almost never hurts on the bike, so I worry that you could be doing serious damage to your knee joints if they're really hurting. My thighs hurt, yes, but that's muscle pain. Knee pain is something else entirely, and can be indication of injury, so be careful. But I do know that if your seat is too low,it makes the knees hurt, so we hope that's all it was. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I had to laugh about the other 'exquisite pain' you mentioned. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif[/COLOR] I was feeling a bit of that myself, today, with a new seat (which shall be returned). Heck, after 15 miles I was feeling a LOT of it, and trying to ride standing up, lol, which is something I'm not real good at yet. You will LOVE your padded bike shorts; they make such a difference! And the right seat makes all the difference, too. But the most important thing is to get a bike fitted to you. It's hard to find a good bike shop that will really take care of you. When you do, hang on to them, they're like gold![/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]But for your third time out, 16 miles is WONDERFUL!! It took me months to go that far, and some days my body still doesn't like that. I did 20 miles today, but the last 3 were killers. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I don't expect to be able to keep up with anyone,either, on my upcoming bike tour. But I don't care. I'm not in it for speed, I'm in it to enjoy the scenery with my sister. In fact, we're naming ourselves TEAM LAST-A-LOT, lol. I'd rather get there last having enjoyed the view than race in first and spend the day in the hotel, any day of the week.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Keep up the good work; I'll look forward to hearing about your progress.[/COLOR][/SIZE]