I JUST got robbed in a Starbucks

jeffnyc

Sep 19, 2007
I know this is unrelated..BUT it' just happened to me. I was at the office today (ok...Starbucks) and went through the usual routine. Dropped laptop bag on my usual table, went up to the counter and ordered usual (iced coffee), paid and went to put in my milk. I went back to the table and yelled, "Where's my laptop!!!??"

I ran out the door in the hopes of seeing someone running away. Well..I saw, 1.5 blocks away, a pair of black shoes turning a corner and running. So I took off, dropping my new ray bans in the process, and sprinted! As I was running I kept thinking "this is so damn New York..I'm actually the guy running down 2nd avenue after a thief." I think the fact that my entire life was in the laptop gave me a little extra incentive so after a 3 minute chase I finally got close enough to the guy and yelled something like, "I'm gonna break you," (I actually laughed as I said it cuz it was such a lame and un-me thing to say). But..it worked.. the guy spun around..stopped running and said really nicely, "Oh..is this yours? I didn't know..Here ya go."!!!

I thought for a second about pinning him down and getting the cops...but then I thought..Do I really want to get involved? I let him go.

I went back to Starbucks to try to find my glasses but now they were gone. I asked 2 guys if they'd seen them and the one dude sheepishly went into his backpack and handed them to me as he said, "Sorry man, I thought you stole them and dropped them as you were running away from someone."

Jeff-2
People who steal-0

PS: I just wrote a song about it..it's posted at www.jeffkrantzmusic.com/jeffkrantz

jeffnyc said:
I thought for a second about pinning him down and getting the cops...but then I thought..Do I really want to get involved? I let him go.
You could have had him arrested for theft, probably felony charges considering the substantial value of the laptop. By letting him go you provided no incentive to discourage the thief from preying on the next victim who might not be so lucky to get their stuff back. This is hardly a story I'd be proud to share with the world.

ilmooz said:
You could have had him arrested for theft, probably felony charges considering the substantial value of the laptop. By letting him go you provided no incentive to discourage the thief from preying on the next victim who might not be so lucky to get their stuff back. This is hardly a story I'd be proud to share with the world.
I agree now the scum can live to steal another day. Should have made him bite the curb American History X style.

gclark8 said:
Good point, it looks like starbucks SPAM! :eek:
Yeah. Go to Charbux, get overpriced, bad coffee and get robbed--twice. That's a killer advertising campaign. :p

I would have punched his face before taking the bag back. Very very hard.
Myspace sucks.

El Loto said:
Does anyone hear actually think the coffee in Starbucks tastes nice?

it sucks, you end up dumping half the milk and sweetners they have in the entire store into your cup... then you wonder why you just paid 4bucks...

i usually end up going to the grocery store nearby and pick up a loaf of french bread and a can of arizona green tea... nothing tastes better after a ride

actually I love starbucks (might be a little bit different in the UK?). Only have a white chocolate cafe mocha but I love it.

Cool to hear you got your lappy back, but yeah a belt to the face would have taught him a lesson.

On the other hand... Wasn't it a little bit stupid to put your laptop down on a table and walk off? Thats advertising the crime in the first place, you were asking for trouble? If you say you did that regulary he has probably seen you there a few times and watched your routine...

Wow now that's a good one. Seriously New York style. A real man. I thought about doing that when I got robbed but did not. Now I know. Yeah you can't really put a laptop down anywhere and just walk up to a counter. Especially not in NYC. I'm gonna break you. Lol that is hilarious. Good one. Mafia style threats can scare people. I've actually seen the mafia threats in action. They tend to work with clueless idiots like this. Good for you.

I know this is from a few years ago, but me thinks someone was trying to promote their song :rolleyes: It may have happened, but I think that was why they were spamming it in all forums. Still, in New York its probably not a smart idea to leave a laptop at a table and walk off, I mean I wouldn't do that in Lincoln, UK! :p

The funniest part about that story, to me, is how the guy thought that you had stolen those glasses. It's like an endless cycle of stupidity. Now imagine that that person went after you thinking that you had stolen the glasses, and he dropped his wallet, and someone chased after HIM, thinking that he had stolen the wallet... Most interesting spam story I've read all day.

That's rotten. So sorry that happened to you. I wouldn't leave a laptop on a table at a coffee shop personally unless it was really slow. There are way too many dishonest people out there these days, and a lot of people who are just getting really desperate and doing stupid things like that when they think they can get away with it.