I just love it when drivers protest

-Lsqnot Respond

Guest
Saw this today.

www.starvethecameras.org.uk "from the same people as fuelprotest.com"

The aim, apparently, is to starve the govt. of revenue from fines through the tactic of (I love
this) *driving legally*.

I was cinvinced this was a wind up taking the mick out speeders usual inability to avoid fines by
simply slowing down. But following the links to all the pro-speeding sites, I rekon it's for real/

I really, really hope it takes off. I have vblissful memoeies of the last motorisrs uprising; the
fuel cises.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:56:50 +0000, [Not Responding]
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Saw this today.
>
> www.starvethecameras.org.uk "from the same people as fuelprotest.com"
>
> The aim, apparently, is to starve the govt. of revenue from fines through the tactic of (I love
> this) *driving legally*.

:)

I have advocated this a couple of times, nice to see them taking my advice. Of course for a real
test they need to starve the cameras for least a year. That will guarantee drying up the supposed
revenue streams and it will also provide a full seasonally balanced set of accident figures for them
to prove what they will.

Colin
--

[Not Responding] <[email protected]> said:
> Saw this today.
>
> www.starvethecameras.org.uk "from the same people as fuelprotest.com"
>
> The aim, apparently, is to starve the govt. of revenue from fines through the tactic of (I love
> this) *driving legally*.
>
> I was cinvinced this was a wind up taking the mick out speeders usual inability to avoid fines by
> simply slowing down. But following the links to all the pro-speeding sites, I rekon it's for real/
>
> I really, really hope it takes off. I have vblissful memoeies of the last motorisrs uprising; the
> fuel cises.

Hell yes! Apart from living out of tins and walking to work for a few days (no deliveries to the
supermarket and no buses) it was blissful. You could walk for miles down an empty main road, hearing
nothing but birdsong and the ocassional hum from the overhead powerlines.

I was in one of the worst affected areas (Hampshire, working at IBM) at the time though.

They should do it again sometime.

Regards,

-david

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Saw this today.
>
> www.starvethecameras.org.uk "from the same people as fuelprotest.com"
>
> The aim, apparently, is to starve the govt. of revenue from fines through the tactic of (I love
> this) *driving legally*.

Let's hope it's such a success they decide to extend their protest indefinitely.

--
Dave...

>Hell yes! Apart from living out of tins and walking to work for a few days (no deliveries to the
>supermarket and no buses) it was blissful. You could walk for miles down an empty main road,
>hearing nothing but birdsong and the ocassional hum from the overhead powerlines.

Indeed. My cycling the lanes & roads of Norfolk was a joy.The number of people out on bicycles was
noticeably increased. Yes, we could do with another fuel protest soon ;-)

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> writes:

> Saw this today.
>
> www.starvethecameras.org.uk "from the same people as fuelprotest.com"
>
> The aim, apparently, is to starve the govt. of revenue from fines through the tactic of (I love
> this) *driving legally*.

I don't think central government would notice the loss of revenue - the national 'profit' on speed
cameras last year was £7M.

--
Richard Stamper

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Saw this today.
>
> www.starvethecameras.org.uk "from the same people as fuelprotest.com"
>
> The aim, apparently, is to starve the govt. of revenue from fines through the tactic of (I love
> this) *driving legally*.
>
> I was cinvinced this was a wind up taking the mick out speeders usual inability to avoid fines by
> simply slowing down. But following the links to all the pro-speeding sites, I rekon it's for real/

surely it is satire?

The domain is registered to 4 Buttermere Close, NN16 8LZ which appears to be a business zone judging
by a google search on the postcide which throws up three businesses on the same road. Perhaps we
could ring one of them up and ask who lives at number 4?

Fuelprotest.com claims Sense Massage Therapy as a supporter. Coincidentally, Sense Aromatherapy
(Telephone: 01536 416923) also live at number 4. Apparently they provide onsite massage for companys
(executive relief anyone?)

Wouldn't it be fun if it really was real though?

best wishes james

> Hell yes! Apart from living out of tins and walking to work for a few days (no deliveries to the
> supermarket and no buses) it was blissful. You could walk for miles down an empty main road,
> hearing nothing but birdsong and
the
> ocassional hum from the overhead powerlines.

I was cycling to work in my previous job at the time. I lived furthest from the office, yet I was
the only person able to make it in. :)

Mark

> Indeed. My cycling the lanes & roads of Norfolk was a joy.The number of people out on bicycles was
> noticeably increased. Yes, we could do with another fuel protest soon ;-)

Could do with a bit more advance warning next time, though. The last one kicked off in Abroad at
precisely the same time as we were leaving the Mediterranean coat of France to drive back to
Cherbourg. If we'd known it was going to go on for another week, we'd have been out for a nice long
drive and made sure we hadn't any fuel left, thereby extending our holibobs...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Richard Stamper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > The aim, apparently, is to starve the govt. of revenue from fines through the tactic of (I love
> > this) *driving legally*.
>
> I don't think central government would notice the loss of revenue - the national 'profit' on speed
> cameras last year was £7M.

Yes they would. The cost of the NHS would drop substantially.

> > The aim, apparently, is to starve the govt. of revenue from fines through the tactic of (I love
> > this) *driving legally*.
>
> I don't think central government would notice the loss of revenue - the national 'profit' on speed
> cameras last year was £7M.

Ah, but having a £66m hole after £73m in revenue disappears might make 'em take note:

"Help, Chancellor, Chancellor, we need more money - revenues from speed cameras are down!"

"No problem Tony, raise the level of fines and deploy more cameras MWA HA HA HA...!"

Seriously though, outside of February do these guys deliberately speed past speed cameras? 'Cos if
it's not deliberate how can they claim they were driving perfectly safely when they miss a bright
yellow 10 foot high camera and a load of bright white road markings? Sheesh.

I also love the way they say the roads are safe to go faster on. That's not the point - it's other
road users and pedestrians that we're worried about - not some idiot losing it on the next corner.

Mark.

(ps - Is it all a big, BIG joke? The website seems serious - only clue to jokiness was "Safe
Speed - A web site that presents an excellent argument for safe driving" but the rest seemed
serious. I think the joke must be intended to be bigger than just the website - they really are
trying to get a whole pro-speed movement jumping on the bandwagon and making complete fools of
them - hope it works!).

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:16:59 -0000, in
<[email protected]>, "Mark Thompson"
<[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote:

>I also love the way they say the roads are safe to go faster on. That's not the point - it's other
>road users and pedestrians that we're worried about - not some idiot losing it on the next corner.

Maybe we could have a single day this year where peds/bikes/buses/horses are banned from roads. Only
cars are allowed out, and they are allowed to drive as fast as they like.

Hopefully Darwinism will then make the roads safer the following day.
--
I remember when the internet was only in black & white. It only had a few pages but at least they
all worked. Email: Put only the word "richard" before the @ sign.

David Nutter wrote:

>> I have vblissful memoeies of the last motorisrs uprising; the fuel cises.

Me too. The road behind my back garden* was quiet for the first time ever during daylight.

Simon

* Thomas Lewis Way, Southampton

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:28:00 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hell yes! Apart from living out of tins and walking to work for a few days (no deliveries to the
>supermarket and no buses) it was blissful. You could walk for miles down an empty main road,
>hearing nothing but birdsong and the ocassional hum from the overhead powerlines.

Hi David

My main memory of the fuel strike was being sworn at for no real reason. Admittedly, I was able to
cycle along those empty main roads you mention but the songs I heard were not the sort of tunes
David Attenborough would comment on.

>I was in one of the worst affected areas (Hampshire, working at IBM) at the time though.

Incidentally, do you know a Valory Batchellor? IIRC, she worked for IBM in the Portsmouth area. She
was married to a Rob Batchellor who has now emigrated to the USA and now works for Cisco. Whatever
... if you do know Val, please say "Hi!" from me and also apologise on my behalf for not replying to
her mail of a few months ago.

Regards James

--
It's a CD-ROM drive, not a cup holder.

James Hodson <[email protected]> said:

> My main memory of the fuel strike was being sworn at for no real reason. Admittedly, I was able to
> cycle along those empty main roads you mention but the songs I heard were not the sort of tunes
> David Attenborough would comment on.

Curious behaviour. Perhaps the heat and the queueing for the last drops of petrol were getting
to people...

>>I was in one of the worst affected areas (Hampshire, working at IBM) at the time though.
>
> Incidentally, do you know a Valory Batchellor? IIRC, she worked for IBM in the Portsmouth area.
> She was married to a Rob Batchellor who has now emigrated to the USA and now works for Cisco.
> Whatever ... if you do know Val, please say "Hi!" from me and also apologise on my behalf for not
> replying to her mail of a few months ago.

No, I'm afraid not. I was only a summer intern at IBM Hursley for a few months and went back to Uni
shortly after the fuel crisis concluded. I didn't see much of IBM outside of the fellow denizens of
my cellar in the R&D labs :)

Regards,

-david