I just noticed this

I just noticed this and am wondering if its a problem.
I'm standing next to my bike, pick the rear wheel off
the ground, and hold it there by the saddle. With my
other hand, in a big gear, I spin the wheel as fast as
I can with my other hand. After I stop pedaling, the
wheel is spinning rapidly. It is also pulsing up and
down about 2 times a second. Any idea what could
cause this? I don't notice anything when riding. The
rim, a Velomax Tempest, is within 2mm of lateral
and vertical true, and the hub feels very smooth.
Could it be the freehub?

I just noticed this and am wondering if its a problem.
I'm standing next to my bike, pick the rear wheel off
the ground, and hold it there by the saddle. With my
other hand, in a big gear, I spin the wheel as fast as
I can with my other hand. After I stop pedaling, the
wheel is spinning rapidly. It is also pulsing up and
down about 2 times a second. Any idea what could
cause this? I don't notice anything when riding. The
rim, a Velomax Tempest, is within 2mm of lateral
and vertical true, and the hub feels very smooth.
Could it be the freehub?
I've never owned a bike that that did not happen with. Probably due to balance problems (maybe the weight of the valve?) but never been really bothered by it - it happens at speeds I don't pedal at.

DB

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I just noticed this and am wondering if its a problem.
> I'm standing next to my bike, pick the rear wheel off
> the ground, and hold it there by the saddle. With my
> other hand, in a big gear, I spin the wheel as fast as
> I can with my other hand. After I stop pedaling, the
> wheel is spinning rapidly. It is also pulsing up and
> down about 2 times a second. Any idea what could
> cause this? I don't notice anything when riding. The
> rim, a Velomax Tempest, is within 2mm of lateral
> and vertical true, and the hub feels very smooth.
> Could it be the freehub?

Most bike wheels are not perfectly balanced. The valve (and the hole drilled
to accommodate it) cause it to be just a bit off. it's a small enough amount
tht you don't notice while riding, but if you spin it ap really fast while
golding it up with one hand then you will notice it.

[email protected] wrote:
> I just noticed this and am wondering if its a problem.
> I'm standing next to my bike, pick the rear wheel off
> the ground, and hold it there by the saddle. With my
> other hand, in a big gear, I spin the wheel as fast as
> I can with my other hand. After I stop pedaling, the
> wheel is spinning rapidly. It is also pulsing up and
> down about 2 times a second. Any idea what could
> cause this? I don't notice anything when riding. The
> rim, a Velomax Tempest, is within 2mm of lateral
> and vertical true, and the hub feels very smooth.
> Could it be the freehub?

The wheel is unbalanced. Do you have a reflector on the wheel? If so,
either remove it or balance it with another reflector on the opposite
side of the hub.

Travis

Travis wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I just noticed this and am wondering if its a problem.
>> I'm standing next to my bike, pick the rear wheel off
>> the ground, and hold it there by the saddle. With my
>> other hand, in a big gear, I spin the wheel as fast as
>> I can with my other hand. After I stop pedaling, the
>> wheel is spinning rapidly. It is also pulsing up and
>> down about 2 times a second. Any idea what could
>> cause this? I don't notice anything when riding. The
>> rim, a Velomax Tempest, is within 2mm of lateral
>> and vertical true, and the hub feels very smooth.
>> Could it be the freehub?

> The wheel is unbalanced. Do you have a reflector on the wheel? If so,
> either remove it or balance it with another reflector on the opposite
> side of the hub.
>
> Travis

http://www.roadcycling.net/showthread.php?t=221575

28-02-2005

"Friday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Travis wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> I just noticed this and am wondering if its a problem.
>>> I'm standing next to my bike, pick the rear wheel off
>>> the ground, and hold it there by the saddle. With my
>>> other hand, in a big gear, I spin the wheel as fast as
>>> I can with my other hand. After I stop pedaling, the
>>> wheel is spinning rapidly. It is also pulsing up and
>>> down about 2 times a second. Any idea what could
>>> cause this? I don't notice anything when riding. The
>>> rim, a Velomax Tempest, is within 2mm of lateral
>>> and vertical true, and the hub feels very smooth.
>>> Could it be the freehub?

>> The wheel is unbalanced. Do you have a reflector on the wheel? If so,
>> either remove it or balance it with another reflector on the opposite
>> side of the hub.
>>
>> Travis
>>

> http://www.roadcycling.net/showthread.php?t=221575
>
> 28-02-2005

Anyone else get a feeling of déjà vu ?

[email protected] wrote:
> I just noticed this and am wondering if its a problem.
> I'm standing next to my bike, pick the rear wheel off
> the ground, and hold it there by the saddle. With my
> other hand, in a big gear, I spin the wheel as fast as
> I can with my other hand. After I stop pedaling, the
> wheel is spinning rapidly. It is also pulsing up and
> down about 2 times a second. Any idea what could
> cause this? I don't notice anything when riding. The
> rim, a Velomax Tempest, is within 2mm of lateral
> and vertical true, and the hub feels very smooth.
> Could it be the freehub?

It's buggered, and it's probably ruined the whole bike due to
vibration.

I'll give you $5 for the bike, and that's just because I care about
your safety. I'll see that it's properly disposed of.

BTH

OzCableguy wrote:
> "Bean Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Anyone else get a feeling of déjà vu ?

> > Hmmm... nice cut and paste job!
> >

> Not quite. The word "behaviour" is missing from the first sentence. The
> mystery deepens...

It's Bratton, ignore it. *always* check the profile/history of a 'new'
poster before following up.

--
Frank
[email protected]
"Boostland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
m.au...

> "Friday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Travis wrote:
> >>
> >> The wheel is unbalanced. Do you have a reflector on the wheel? If so,
> >> either remove it or balance it with another reflector on the opposite
> >> side of the hub.
> >>
> >> Travis
> >>

> > http://www.roadcycling.net/showthread.php?t=221575
> >
> > 28-02-2005

> Anyone else get a feeling of déjà vu ?

I get déjà vu and Alzheimers at the same time - I remember forgetting this
before :p