I just quit da baccy.

Stopped 10 years ago on a Sunday night. Cold Turkey and I
was a 1 1/2 - 2 pack junkie a day. I don't remember any of
whats happening to you. At 1st I was thinking you found some
Orange Sun Shine or Purple Haze from the 60s.

I MTB 2004

Slacker says:

>Speaking of such: cherish those skinny-ass pictures of
>yourself because you're about to SuperSize your ****!!!

Bwahahahaha.....

What ****? From the published pics (not Kath's private
stock), you could supersize that and it still wouldn't look
much bigger than a pickled onion on a pickle fork.

;->

Steve

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-05-20, Shaun Rimmer penned:
> >

> > Been around 12+ hours since the last one.
>
> Congrats!
>
> I'm sure it's about the toughest thing you'll ever have to
> do, but it'll be worth it.

Hell no - I've had tougher. Also, been through this a few
times before. I'll be fine, once I stop hallucinating. Makes
my bike commute to work...'interesting'...

> Keep up the good work!

Cheers - got no choice! Quit, or die early? Heh.....

Shaun aRe

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Stopped 10 years ago on a Sunday night.
> Cold Turkey and I was a 1 1/2 - 2 pack
> junkie a day. I don't remember any of
> whats happening to you. At 1st I was
> thinking you found some Orange Sun Shine
> or Purple Haze from the 60s.

It just effects me this way. It's worse this time,
because I'd been smoking a helluvah lot this last month
or so (probably over 150g a week). Not using any nicotine
at all now.

Shaun aRe

" S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Been around 12+ hours since the last one. {Withdrawal
> > withdrawn}
>
> At first I thought you'd left your job at a bakery. (Note
> to self: GET YOUR FRIGGIN' EYES CHECKED, YA GIT!)
>
> Great move, Shaun -- it's going to be the hardest but best
> thing you've
ever
> done.

No, it will not be the hardest thing I have done, even to
date (and I have quite before, heh, several times). But yes,
smart move, thanks.

> Sounds like you're not using the gum or patches? Are you
> MAD, man?!?
(Ask
> a silly question. :) ) However, if you CAN do it without
> the chemical
help,
> it's better in the long run, as you're off the nicotine
> that much sooner.

The longgest I ever managed to quit for was 9 months, and
that was c/t too.

> I quit smoking (VERY heavily) back in 1991 -- got into
> running and working out, then riding -- and all was well
> until I attended a convention in
2000.
> Started smoking cigars, and next thing you know I'm buying
> boxes of 'em
off
> the internet and inhaling the bejeezus out of them.
>
> Got away with it for quite a while (and lost a lot of
> weight!), but eventually I was hacking at the start of
> rides and generally sucking wind. When I bought a few
> cartons of Kools toward the end, I knew I had to quit.

Yep, happens to so many, including my pops. My bane's the
spleephs, mon - any tobacco at all and I'm back at square
one. So, now I'll have to smoke straight greens, which will
be tough for me ',;~}~

> hard addiction, that.

It is. I was into H (I.V.) for 2 - 3 years and that was a
walk in the park to quit by comparison.

> Best of luck,
>
> Bill "if I can do it you can too" S.
>
> PS: Might as well enjoy the symptoms -- free trip! (Like
> you need help
in
> that area ;-)

Heheheheh, cheers!

Shaun aRe's keyborad is meltung.

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> S o r n i wrote:
>
> > Been smoke-free since December 27, 2002, and I *STILL*
> > miss it.

> I've been smoke free since 19th June of 1999, until I took
> it up again
about
> 6 weeks ago! Due to a complex and stressful set of
> circumstances I
thought
> it was a good idea at the time (hows that for clear
> thinking?) Unbelieveable.

I'd been free of it for 6 months, when I made a similar FU,
which involved much emotional distress and tears, then me
diving across the table in the pub and grabbing someone's
smokes. Damn smart of me that was.

> Still, maybe today will be the day I drop it again?

Go for it - it's fun! ',&~}~

Shaun aRe

"Lenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "D-DUB" <DDB@the_edge_of_ the_world.com> wrote:
>
> > Buddhist Approach
> >
> > The easiest way to quit smoking is to quit
> > smoking........
>
> Personally I favor never starting, but that's just
> me... ;)

Not starting smoking tobacco will be the smartest move you
never made, matey. Good on you.

Shaun aRe already tried to murder a de-solder pump today.

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Been around 12+ hours since the last one.
> >
> > I been hallucinating most of the morning, and still am.
> >
> > I am hallucinating quite heavily.
> >

> You say this like it's a bad thing. Coming from you I find
> that quite... odd.

It is when you haven't gone out of your way to create that
state. I mean, I keep seeing mice/beetles/tings run past my
freaking feet, look down and it's a twig/pebble/piece of
dirt. Pulling out of junctions into traffic is fun too...

> Good luck with it. Work through it minute by minute and
> you'll make it.

Cheers. I'll make it or I'll die very early.

Shaun are

"gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:38:29 +0100, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Been around 12+ hours since the last one.
>
> So all that's left is the "wacky", right? ;)

Yup! Gotta smoke it straight now, wich is a real
shame! Heh...

> Good luck!
>
> gabrielle

Cheers Gab - I need good management too!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Been around 12+ hours since the last one.
>
> Growing up on the farm, the guys all dipped snuff. Took me
> about 5 years of off and on quitting to beat it. It's damn
> hard, but worth
> it.

Ewwwww!

> It's hard to MTB when yer dead, or your lungs are
> completely eaten away, or your heart can barely pump
> around the liquid.

That's how I felt Wednesday morning riding to work. I felt
like there really wasn't much between me and death but a
heap of mucus and lung butter, it was

> You done good - keep it up. Heck, I haven't thought about
> dipping snuff all week. Must be getting over it. :)
>
> I figured this - the money I *didn't* spend on tobacco, I
> can spend on bike parts. By that calculation, I still am
> up an Ibis Bow Ti, with full XTR, full CK, Fox TALAS fork
> (or a Maverick one like Pete has) and enough money to take
> it over to where you are and stay a couple of months doing
> nothing but riding.

I was spending ~ £15 / week on rolling tobacco, plus
papers and tips. Now, I'll be able to afford better
quality beer ',;~}~

> It really does cost a shitpile of money to keep the
> nicotine monkey on your back.

Aye, but that's by far the least cost of it.

Shaun aRe

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Been around 12+ hours since the last one.
> >
> > I wanna eat like worse than the megamunchies.
> >
> > I feel strangely calm yet tense.
> >
> > I'm doing OK I think, thanks ',;~}~
> >

> Very cool. I smoked for many years... quit cold turkey.
> The first couple of weeks are brutal, but once your system
> clears out, it's cake.

I have done this before on several occasions - I am fully
familiar with how it effects me.

> Speaking of such: cherish those skinny-ass pictures of
> yourself because you're about to SuperSize your ****!!!

You are completely wrong - I get leaner and more muscular
after quitting, any weight I gain being muscle. Seriously,
my metabolic rate goes through the roof, and even more than
usual I have to do things/exercise all the time
= burn heaps of energy.

Like I said - been here before!

Cheers,

Shaun aRe - Ain't built to be over-built.

> Slacker says:
>
> >Speaking of such: cherish those skinny-ass pictures of
> >yourself because you're about to SuperSize your ****!!!
>
> Bwahahahaha.....
>
> What ****?

Well, it is there, in the form of some very lean, firm and
walnut cracking strong muscle-over-bone. ',;~}~

> From the published pics (not Kath's private stock), you
> could supersize that and it still wouldn't look much
> bigger than a pickled onion
on a
> pickle fork.

Heh, two rocks in a sack!

Shaun aRe

> Westie wrote:
>
> > S o r n i wrote:
> >

> >>Been smoke-free since December 27, 2002, and I *STILL*
> >>miss it.

> > I've been smoke free since 19th June of 1999, until I
> > took it up again
about
> > 6 weeks ago! Due to a complex and stressful set of
> > circumstances I
thought
> > it was a good idea at the time (hows that for clear
> > thinking?) Unbelieveable. Still, maybe today will be the
> > day I drop it again?
> >

> Don't be a pitiful ass and say, "maybe today." Just do it.
> You did it before, right, so you already know you're
> capable. Do it man, pull all the cigs out of the pack,
> squish them it your hands. Put some of the tabaccy in our
> mouth and chew it... that's right it's nasty.

I didn't need to do that - just took me getting rid of about
4 pints of lung butter in a 1/2 hour.

> Throw the matches/lighter away too. Now don't look back.

Shaun aRe - Grrrrrr.

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Sorni says:
>
>> I quit smoking (VERY heavily) back in 1991 -- got into
>> running and working out, then riding -- and all was well
>> until I attended a convention in 2000. Started smoking
>> cigars, and next thing you know I'm buying boxes of 'em
>> off the internet and inhaling the bejeezus out of them.
>>

> Sounds familiar. I quit a while ago, and have started
> smoking my old pipe. It seemed like a shame to let such a
> fine piece of briar go to rot in a desk drawer, and you
> just can't give away old pipes (no-one wants 'em!) So far,
> it's just an "at home" thing, but when it escalates (which
> it will...) or the urge to buy cigs appears, it's back on
> the patch.
>
> Steve "still quitting after all these years."

I quite enjoyed smoking a pipe. My ex's old man was a sea
Captain and lived with one hanging out of his mouth. Much
more serene than sucking back a cigarette. Couldn't
handle being young and trendy and smoking a pipe though.
It had to go.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Slacker wrote:
> Westie wrote:
>
>> S o r n i wrote:
>>

>>> Been smoke-free since December 27, 2002, and I *STILL*
>>> miss it.

>> I've been smoke free since 19th June of 1999, until I
>> took it up again about 6 weeks ago! Due to a complex and
>> stressful set of circumstances I thought it was a good
>> idea at the time (hows that for clear thinking?)
>> Unbelieveable. Still, maybe today will be the day I drop
>> it again?
> >

> Don't be a pitiful ass and say, "maybe today." Just do it.
> You did it before, right, so you already know you're
> capable. Do it man, pull all the cigs out of the pack,
> squish them it your hands. Put some of the tabaccy in our
> mouth and chew it... that's right it's nasty. Throw the
> matches/lighter away too. Now don't look back.

Thanks. You're right - and you sound remarkably like my
partner too :) I dunno about eating the stuff though...

How's it going today, Shaun?
--

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Been around 12+ hours since the last one.
>
> I been hallucinating most of the morning, and still am.
>
> I am hallucinating quite heavily.
>
> Seriously.
>
> Stuff don't look normal at all, everything's all
> bright, and stuff that shouldn't be yellow at all is
> very yellow indeed.
>
> I've only bumped into walls/door frames 3 or 4 times so
> far.
>
> My head and body are full of strange sensations.
>
> I can't get a straight answer from my head.
>
> My mouth keeps watering.
>
> I wanna eat like worse than the megamunchies.
>
> I feel strangely calm yet tense.
>
> No but I find I feel rather short on patience...with
> customers on the phone especially...why the hell do these
> folks want more than 5 variations of the

> We have more monkeys than organ grinders.
>
> I'm doing OK I think, thanks ',;~}~
>
> OK, but I gotta go now.
>

> Shaun aRe running outa things here to
> chew...bite...hard...

Why the hell would you go and do a damn fool thing like
that? Kidding. I'm on my way to quitting (again) too. I'm
usually okay for the first couple days, just preoccupied
with lighting up. Although second hand smoke sickens me, for
some reason. On the third day, I once painted faces on all
the eggs on the fridge. My roommates found it amusing and
unnerving. /s

On 2004-05-21, Shaun Rimmer penned:

> It is. I was into H (I.V.) for 2 - 3 years and that was a
> walk in the park to quit by comparison.

I'd heard this before; interesting to hear it from a real
person who would actually know.

--
monique "yet another data point to file away in my attempt
to figure out what I think about laws regarding drugs"

On 2004-05-21, Slacker penned:
> Westie wrote:
>
>> S o r n i wrote:
>>

>>>Been smoke-free since December 27, 2002, and I *STILL*
>>>miss it.

>> I've been smoke free since 19th June of 1999, until I
>> took it up again about 6 weeks ago! Due to a complex and
>> stressful set of circumstances I thought it was a good
>> idea at the time (hows that for clear thinking?)
>> Unbelieveable. Still, maybe today will be the day I drop
>> it again?
> >

> Don't be a pitiful ass and say, "maybe today." Just do
> it. You did it before, right, so you already know you're
> capable. Do it man, pull all the cigs out of the pack,
> squish them it your hands. Put some of the tabaccy in
> our mouth and chew it... that's right it's nasty. Throw
> the matches/lighter away too. Now don't look back. --
> Dr. Slack

In eighth grade science, we were supposed to do an
experiment distilling some innocuous substance. Instead, our
teacher distilled cigarettes, showing us the amount of tar,
etc. in just one pack.

He let us take the results home to our smoker parents. It
always amazed me that seeing that disgusting filth wasn't
enough to put even a dent in my mom's smoking. Cigarettes
have to be one of the worst addictions out there. (Also,
they smell *nasty!)

--
monique

Westie wrote:
> Couldn't handle being young and trendy and smoking a pipe
> though. It had to go.

ps