I kinda knew I was too heavy...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Raptor, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
    laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been working
    out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    Since I can do 23-24mph solo on a good day, I thought I might be okay. Then, "Oh yeah, I remember
    this..." from 15 years ago, the last time I raced. All these speed freaks take turns burning
    themselves up, resulting in a very hot pace from start to finish.

    I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps, casually letting the draft pull me along the
    downhills and flats, and rather easily sprinting up the climbs to catch up. There was one time where
    the course tightens up and a couple guys in the middle got squirly, but no crashes.

    Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead and
    I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.

    Looks like I need more speed work. I'm trying to decide whether to do structured interval training
    on my own, or participate in more weekly training races to get that high-pace recovery capacity
    going. Or should I join a local team and ride with 'em?

  2. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
    > laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds to
    20 pounds.

    If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

  3. Aeklaw

    Aeklaw Guest

  4. "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    > > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
    >
    > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
    > to 20 pounds.
    >
    > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    For a 50 foot climb?

    Intervals would be more practical.

  5. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
    > > finishing laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    > > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    > > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
    >
    > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
    > to 20 pounds.
    >
    > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    Not really. 185 lbs for someone 6', in a Cat V race is fine. If Wallace can do 23+ mph ave. flat
    solo then he's more than fit enough and hopefully fast enough, and race-savvy enough to do very well
    and upgrade after 5-10 Cat V starts.

    > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    (that's pretty darned skinny)

  6. J999w

    J999w Guest

    >I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,

    There's your problem.

    You don't see Lance back there for long !

    Get brave and sit in the pack more. Watch for people with lousy skill and stay ahead of them.

    jw milwaukee

  7. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    > "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    > > > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
    > >
    > > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need
    > > lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.
    > >
    > > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.
    > >

    > For a 50 foot climb?
    >
    > Intervals would be more practical.

    Not just for a 50 foot climb but for overall performance.

    Dashii

  8. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...

    > "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
    > > > finishing laps. The course was freshly paved,
    about
    > > > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    > > > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
    > >
    > > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need
    > > lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.
    > >
    > > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.
    >
    > Not really. 185 lbs for someone 6', in a Cat V race is fine. If Wallace can do 23+ mph ave. flat
    > solo then he's more than fit enough and hopefully fast enough, and race-savvy enough to do very
    > well and upgrade after 5-10 Cat V starts.

    Sure but to be competitive and be a possible winner he will need to lose the weight.

    I don't mean by dieting but by working hard on the bike and eating healthy.

    > > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
    >
    > (that's pretty darned skinny)

    Thanks but I don't think that I am too skinny, I am built more like a middle weight boxer than
    a cyclist.

    Dashii

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "J999w" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,
    >
    > There's your problem.
    >
    > You don't see Lance back there for long !
    >
    > Get brave and sit in the pack more. Watch for people with lousy skill and
    stay
    > ahead of them.
    >
    > jw milwaukee

    Even better, stay in the top 20 or so the whole race.

    1. its easier: no sprinting out of the corners.
    2. you can see when the front of the pack accelerates and be ready when the wave gets to you.
    3. the riders in the front are usually better bike handlers and thus safer
    4. did I mention that it was easier?
    5. its easier to see if anyone's brave enough to attack a Cat 5 race and try a break. If you don't
    like riding in the pack, go OTF instead of OTB! At least OTF you have a chance to win something
    (like the race!)

    The trick is to get to the point where you can ride at the front but not ON the front. Let some
    other sucker pull!

    Then again, you probably already know all this, you just aren't doing it...

    Mike

  10. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...

    > > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
    >
    > (that's pretty darned skinny)

    I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was racing (he was in his early
    20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he could sprint reasonably well. He stopped about six
    years ago and I think he's now around the 190 lb mark.

    Jeff

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    >

    > > > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
    > >
    > > (that's pretty darned skinny)
    > >
    > I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was
    racing
    > (he was in his early 20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he
    could
    > sprint reasonably well. He stopped about six years ago and I think
    he's now
    > around the 190 lb mark.

    So is this your "friend" in the mirror Jeff?

  12. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    >

    > > > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
    > >
    > > (that's pretty darned skinny)
    > >
    > I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was
    racing
    > (he was in his early 20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he could sprint reasonably well.
    > He stopped about six years ago and I think he's
    now
    > around the 190 lb mark.
    >
    > Jeff

    I don't think that there are any pro riders over 2.3 lbs per inch.

    The "Big Mig" Miguel Indurain was about 2.4 lbs per inch.

    Dashii

  13. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

    <snip>

    "Oh yeah, I remember this..." from 15 years ago, the last time I
    > raced. All these speed freaks take turns burning themselves up, resulting in a very hot pace from
    > start to finish.

    That sort of defines crit racing.

    > I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps, casually letting the draft pull me along the
    > downhills and flats, and rather easily sprinting up the climbs to catch up. There was one time
    > where the course tightens up and a couple guys in the middle got squirly, but no crashes.
    >
    > Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead
    > and I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.
    >
    > Looks like I need more speed work. I'm trying to decide whether to do structured interval training
    > on my own, or participate in more weekly training races to get that high-pace recovery capacity
    > going. Or should I join a local team and ride with 'em?

    Group rides and a few races where you have no goal but to improve each outing.

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Yeah, there are a few. Tour winners may be a different story.

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > (that's pretty darned skinny)
    > > >
    > > I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was
    > racing
    > > (he was in his early 20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he
    could
    > > sprint reasonably well. He stopped about six years ago and I think he's
    > now
    > > around the 190 lb mark.
    > >
    > > Jeff
    >
    > I don't think that there are any pro riders over 2.3 lbs per inch.
    >
    > The "Big Mig" Miguel Indurain was about 2.4 lbs per inch.
    >
    > Dashii

  15. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Dashi Toshii wrote:
    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
    >>laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    >>1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    >> working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
    >

    > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
    > to 20 pounds.
    >
    > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.
    >
    > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    I'm 5'10". My body composition is pretty good, I'm just very beefy for a bike racer, especially one
    trying to go up hills. I can go up hills much faster than I have in the past, but it's real hard
    hanging with the flyweights.

    ("Real hard" = "impossible" at least at this point. I'm willing to hear if it's true that it's
    virtually impossible for someone with my build to keep up on hills, but losing weight isn't that
    much of a priority for
    me. My build is big but looks pretty good IMO. I'd rather suck at bike racing, I think.)

  16. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Thanks everyone for the advice. It makes sense.

    I just wasn't ready to mingle closely with the peloton. I'm smooth enough on my bike but I'm not
    used to close quarters. Hanging off the back was as much a service to my fellow riders as it was for
    my sense of safety.

    I think I'll do practice races as my main training (as well as the usual long solo "pleasure"
    rides). I'll get the interval/speed work and get better at riding in the peloton in due time.

    I can't say I'm surprised at what happened, just a bit bummed. My strength (cruising speed) led me
    to believe I could do better.

  17. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    > So is this your "friend" in the mirror Jeff?

    Nope. He was 2" taller than me for a start and 20 lb lighter (at the time). The situation is
    somewhat reversed now!

    Jeff

  18. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Jeff Jones"

    > > So is this your "friend" in the mirror Jeff?
    > >
    > Nope. He was 2" taller than me for a start and 20 lb lighter (at the time). The situation is
    > somewhat reversed now!
    >
    > Jeff

    Ah, so you've grown four inches, Jeff?

    --
    tanx, Howard

    Read. Think. Type. Send.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

    For some people, quantity IS quality...

  19. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Raptor wrote:

    > I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,...

    snip
    > Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead
    > and I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.
    >
    > Looks like I need more speed work....

    It looks like you need to not dangle off the back of the pack. That's not smart racing.

  20. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dashi Toshii wrote:
    > > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >>I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
    > >>finishing laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    > >>1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    > >> working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
    > >

    > > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need
    > > lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.
    > >
    > > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.
    > >
    > > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
    >
    > I'm 5'10". My body composition is pretty good, I'm just very beefy for a bike racer, especially
    > one trying to go up hills. I can go up hills much faster than I have in the past, but it's real
    > hard hanging with the flyweights.
    >
    > ("Real hard" = "impossible" at least at this point. I'm willing to hear if it's true that it's
    > virtually impossible for someone with my build to keep up on hills, but losing weight isn't that
    > much of a priority for
    > me. My build is big but looks pretty good IMO. I'd rather suck at bike racing, I think.)

    If you are not serious about winning races and enjoy the sport as you are then losing weight isn't
    necessary.

    Dashii