I kinda knew I was too heavy...

Raptor

Guest
I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
laps. The course was freshly paved, about
1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been working
out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

Since I can do 23-24mph solo on a good day, I thought I might be okay. Then, "Oh yeah, I remember
this..." from 15 years ago, the last time I raced. All these speed freaks take turns burning
themselves up, resulting in a very hot pace from start to finish.

I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps, casually letting the draft pull me along the
downhills and flats, and rather easily sprinting up the climbs to catch up. There was one time where
the course tightens up and a couple guys in the middle got squirly, but no crashes.

Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead and
I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.

Looks like I need more speed work. I'm trying to decide whether to do structured interval training
on my own, or participate in more weekly training races to get that high-pace recovery capacity
going. Or should I join a local team and ride with 'em?

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
> laps. The course was freshly paved, about
> 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
> working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds to
20 pounds.

If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
> > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
>
> You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
> to 20 pounds.
>
> If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

For a 50 foot climb?

Intervals would be more practical.

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KxqEa.102556$M01.53351@sccrnsc02...

> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
> > finishing laps. The course was freshly paved, about
> > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
> > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
>
> You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
> to 20 pounds.
>
> If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

Not really. 185 lbs for someone 6', in a Cat V race is fine. If Wallace can do 23+ mph ave. flat
solo then he's more than fit enough and hopefully fast enough, and race-savvy enough to do very well
and upgrade after 5-10 Cat V starts.

> Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

(that's pretty darned skinny)

>I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,

There's your problem.

You don't see Lance back there for long !

Get brave and sit in the pack more. Watch for people with lousy skill and stay ahead of them.

jw milwaukee

> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
> > > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
> >
> > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need
> > lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.
> >
> > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.
> >

> For a 50 foot climb?
>
> Intervals would be more practical.

Not just for a 50 foot climb but for overall performance.

Dashii

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...

> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KxqEa.102556$M01.53351@sccrnsc02...
> >
> > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
> > > finishing laps. The course was freshly paved,
about
> > > 1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
> > > working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
> >
> > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need
> > lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.
> >
> > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.
>
> Not really. 185 lbs for someone 6', in a Cat V race is fine. If Wallace can do 23+ mph ave. flat
> solo then he's more than fit enough and hopefully fast enough, and race-savvy enough to do very
> well and upgrade after 5-10 Cat V starts.

Sure but to be competitive and be a possible winner he will need to lose the weight.

I don't mean by dieting but by working hard on the bike and eating healthy.

> > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
>
> (that's pretty darned skinny)

Thanks but I don't think that I am too skinny, I am built more like a middle weight boxer than
a cyclist.

Dashii

"J999w" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,
>
> There's your problem.
>
> You don't see Lance back there for long !
>
> Get brave and sit in the pack more. Watch for people with lousy skill and
stay
> ahead of them.
>
> jw milwaukee

Even better, stay in the top 20 or so the whole race.

1. its easier: no sprinting out of the corners.
2. you can see when the front of the pack accelerates and be ready when the wave gets to you.
3. the riders in the front are usually better bike handlers and thus safer
4. did I mention that it was easier?
5. its easier to see if anyone's brave enough to attack a Cat 5 race and try a break. If you don't
like riding in the pack, go OTF instead of OTB! At least OTF you have a chance to win something
(like the race!)

The trick is to get to the point where you can ride at the front but not ON the front. Let some
other sucker pull!

Then again, you probably already know all this, you just aren't doing it...

Mike

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...

> > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
>
> (that's pretty darned skinny)

I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was racing (he was in his early
20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he could sprint reasonably well. He stopped about six
years ago and I think he's now around the 190 lb mark.

Jeff

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...
>

> > > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
> >
> > (that's pretty darned skinny)
> >
> I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was
racing
> (he was in his early 20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he
could
> sprint reasonably well. He stopped about six years ago and I think
he's now
> around the 190 lb mark.

So is this your "friend" in the mirror Jeff?

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...
>

> > > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
> >
> > (that's pretty darned skinny)
> >
> I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was
racing
> (he was in his early 20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he could sprint reasonably well.
> He stopped about six years ago and I think he's
now
> around the 190 lb mark.
>
> Jeff

I don't think that there are any pro riders over 2.3 lbs per inch.

The "Big Mig" Miguel Indurain was about 2.4 lbs per inch.

Dashii

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

<snip>

"Oh yeah, I remember this..." from 15 years ago, the last time I
> raced. All these speed freaks take turns burning themselves up, resulting in a very hot pace from
> start to finish.

That sort of defines crit racing.

> I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps, casually letting the draft pull me along the
> downhills and flats, and rather easily sprinting up the climbs to catch up. There was one time
> where the course tightens up and a couple guys in the middle got squirly, but no crashes.
>
> Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead
> and I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.
>
> Looks like I need more speed work. I'm trying to decide whether to do structured interval training
> on my own, or participate in more weekly training races to get that high-pace recovery capacity
> going. Or should I join a local team and ride with 'em?

Group rides and a few races where you have no goal but to improve each outing.

> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Yeah, there are a few. Tour winners may be a different story.

Dashi Toshii wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
>>laps. The course was freshly paved, about
>>1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
>> working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
>

> You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
> to 20 pounds.
>
> If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.
>
> Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

I'm 5'10". My body composition is pretty good, I'm just very beefy for a bike racer, especially one
trying to go up hills. I can go up hills much faster than I have in the past, but it's real hard
hanging with the flyweights.

("Real hard" = "impossible" at least at this point. I'm willing to hear if it's true that it's
virtually impossible for someone with my build to keep up on hills, but losing weight isn't that
much of a priority for
me. My build is big but looks pretty good IMO. I'd rather suck at bike racing, I think.)

Thanks everyone for the advice. It makes sense.

I just wasn't ready to mingle closely with the peloton. I'm smooth enough on my bike but I'm not
used to close quarters. Hanging off the back was as much a service to my fellow riders as it was for
my sense of safety.

I think I'll do practice races as my main training (as well as the usual long solo "pleasure"
rides). I'll get the interval/speed work and get better at riding in the peloton in due time.

I can't say I'm surprised at what happened, just a bit bummed. My strength (cruising speed) led me
to believe I could do better.

In article <[email protected]>, "Jeff Jones"
<jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote:

> > So is this your "friend" in the mirror Jeff?
> >
> Nope. He was 2" taller than me for a start and 20 lb lighter (at the time). The situation is
> somewhat reversed now!
>
> Jeff

Ah, so you've grown four inches, Jeff?

--
tanx, Howard

Read. Think. Type. Send.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

Raptor wrote:

> I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,...

snip
> Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead
> and I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.
>
> Looks like I need more speed work....

It looks like you need to not dangle off the back of the pack. That's not smart racing.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dashi Toshii wrote:
> > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >>I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
> >>finishing laps. The course was freshly paved, about
> >>1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
> >> working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.
> >

> > You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need
> > lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.
> >
> > If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.
> >
> > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)
>
> I'm 5'10". My body composition is pretty good, I'm just very beefy for a bike racer, especially
> one trying to go up hills. I can go up hills much faster than I have in the past, but it's real
> hard hanging with the flyweights.
>
> ("Real hard" = "impossible" at least at this point. I'm willing to hear if it's true that it's
> virtually impossible for someone with my build to keep up on hills, but losing weight isn't that
> much of a priority for
> me. My build is big but looks pretty good IMO. I'd rather suck at bike racing, I think.)

If you are not serious about winning races and enjoy the sport as you are then losing weight isn't
necessary.

Dashii