I know what Dutchy spent his money on now

Bleve

Guest
Chalk! Anyone who's ridden the Eastern Fwy trail can't
help but wonder "who is this "Jason"?" and why should
I vote for him?

So, Dutchy, why should I vote for you - you're a
nice bloke, I like you, and you ride a bike, but what's your
rough policy?

As cfrantb would say - over to you!

Bleve said:
Chalk! Anyone who's ridden the Eastern Fwy trail can't
help but wonder "who is this "Jason"?" and why should
I vote for him?

So, Dutchy, why should I vote for you - you're a
nice bloke, I like you, and you ride a bike, but what's your
rough policy?

As cfrantb would say - over to you!

hehe. (btw, who is 'cfrantb'?)

Well, looks like the official policy launch is blown, I'll send the babies-to-be-kissed back... :rolleyes:

Why vote for me?

Well, obviously reading a zillion different opinions here about everybody's perspective on BV has helped nudge me into action to help improve BV.

With all my other influences such as campaigning ( to Council, Vicroads, State Government, etc), Boroondara BUG, HawthornCyclingClub racing and committee member, daily commuter and involvement with my family cycling and bike-ed at their school. And if that aint enough, its genetic!
After coming back from Amsterdam earlier this year and then arriving back in our car-centric, congested, consuming culture and with more people than ever taking up riding as a viable transport option, I want to help further those elements.

The events element of BV is running strongly (YES, i do realise what everyone says about that and I too would like to see these be more accessible/affordable/viable and even become more 'everyday' not just 'events' perhaps...) I would like to see BV get closer to victorians, cyclists or future ones, and work more strongly and openly in campaigning to State and Federal governments to further cyclists needs and rights.
Working more closely with Clubs, BUGs, and informal groups/riders to keep in touch with what the issues are 'out on the street' so to speak :rolleyes:
Having 45,000+ members is one thing. Keeping them (and keeping them riding!) is another. If its done right i think BV could and should be a very strong group to lobby, provide and nurture, what after all is, one of life's most perfect things. riding a bike :D:D

Oh, and just cos you highlighted it to me, improving their insurance might be worth a stab too :D

Keep an eye out for more antics as I try to spread the word to more members, bikeshops, clubs, groups, etc and if you think me and my ideas are worth recommending to others, I would really appreciate your support and spreading the word so I can help make BV your BV.

Election material is being posted by BV in 'late September' so keep an eye out and 'Vote Jason for BV'

PS you didnt mention: Yarra Trail, Gardiners Creek, Anniversary Trail,
Greensborough path, Diamond Creek path, Beach Rd, Middle Park offroad path, Port Melbourne path, Ballarat, Wangaratta-Bright Rail trail, and more to come to a route near you! :D

Bleve wrote:

> If BV and the other state bodies could work together
> a bit better, then things could improve?

Don't hold your breath. The history of bicycle insurance is everyone
insisting they can do a better deal and then setting up a rival scheme.

Terry Collins wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > If BV and the other state bodies could work together
> > a bit better, then things could improve?

> Don't hold your breath. The history of bicycle insurance is everyone
> insisting they can do a better deal and then setting up a rival scheme.

I'm not holding my breath on this one :) My bikes
are insured, and not with the BV policy.

Bleve said:
I'm not holding my breath on this one :) My bikes
are insured, and not with the BV policy.

I was thinking more re this regarding the $1k excess you got hit with
If you can sugggest other elements to improve let me know (by email, not here :D)
cheers
FD

Bleve> What I'd like to see is BV and CA/CSV working together a
Bleve> little too ... roadies ride more than anyone else on the
Bleve> roads (do commuters do 10-30+hrs/week? Not many of them!).

12 hours most weeks here, sometimes more, and it's all transport mileage.

Recreational mileage adds to the congestion on the roads so hardly worth
bragging about <troll troll troll> ;-)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Chalk! Anyone who's ridden the Eastern Fwy trail can't
> help but wonder "who is this "Jason"?" and why should
> I vote for him?
>
> So, Dutchy, why should I vote for you - you're a
> nice bloke, I like you, and you ride a bike, but what's your
> rough policy?
>
> As cfrantb would say - over to you!

I rode to work along the Yarra Trail today and I stopped counting the "Vote
Jason 4 BV" signs after about 8 or so. Dutchy also took a couple of quick
stops on the BR on Sunday to "tag" bikepaths in Diamond Creek and
Greensborough. I did notice on the way home though that a couple of them
had pretty well disappeared (maybe from the light rain this morning??).

Gags

Euan wrote:

> Bleve> What I'd like to see is BV and CA/CSV working together a
> Bleve> little too ... roadies ride more than anyone else on the
> Bleve> roads (do commuters do 10-30+hrs/week? Not many of them!).
>
> 12 hours most weeks here, sometimes more, and it's all transport mileage.

You're quite unusual though, Euan :)

"Euan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bleve> What I'd like to see is BV and CA/CSV working together a
> Bleve> little too ... roadies ride more than anyone else on the
> Bleve> roads (do commuters do 10-30+hrs/week? Not many of them!).
>
> 12 hours most weeks here, sometimes more, and it's all transport mileage.
>
> Recreational mileage adds to the congestion on the roads so hardly worth
> bragging about <troll troll troll> ;-)
> --
> Cheers | ~~ __@
> Euan | ~~ _-\<,
> Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

I dunno about that. When I'm working full time (between semesters) I'm on
the bike for slightly over 8½ hours/weeks just commuting and once you throw
in rides to the shops, friend's places and so on, I'd be well over 10 hours
easily. And that's not counting romps on the fixie just for laughs.

Bleve said:
Euan wrote:

> Bleve> What I'd like to see is BV and CA/CSV working together a
> Bleve> little too ... roadies ride more than anyone else on the
> Bleve> roads (do commuters do 10-30+hrs/week? Not many of them!).
>
> 12 hours most weeks here, sometimes more, and it's all transport mileage.

You're quite unusual though, Euan :)
That's one of the more polite ways I've had me described :)

I'll agree I'm not common but there's quite a few of us who commute in excess of 20kms each way. Getting back on topic though, commuter issues are different to roadie issues and, from a sustainable transport point of view, potentially more important. Things like secure bicycle parking, end of trip facilities etc. There's a good deal of overlap, changing road culture, education of all road users (yes, even cyclists) about rights and responsibilities etc.

Not everyone's as fortunate as me, I've got decent showers at work and if a theif's willing to pinch my relatively inexpensive bike from under the noses of SOG then good luck to them ;-)

EuanB wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:

>>> Bleve> What I'd like to see is BV and CA/CSV working together a
>>> Bleve> little too ... roadies ride more than anyone else on the
>>> Bleve> roads (do commuters do 10-30+hrs/week? Not many of

>>them!).
>>
>>>12 hours most weeks here, sometimes more, and it's all transport

>>mileage.
>>
>>You're quite unusual though, Euan :)

> That's one of the more polite ways I've had me described :)
>
> I'll agree I'm not common but there's quite a few of us who commute in
> excess of 20kms each way. Getting back on topic though, commuter issues
> are different to roadie issues and, from a sustainable transport point
> of view, potentially more important. Things like secure bicycle
> parking, end of trip facilities etc. There's a good deal of overlap,
> changing road culture, education of all road users (yes, even cyclists)
> about rights and responsibilities etc.
>
> Not everyone's as fortunate as me, I've got decent showers at work and
> if a theif's willing to pinch my relatively inexpensive bike from under
> the noses of SOG then good luck to them ;-)

I guess that its not like its stored at the drug squad :)

EuanB wrote:

> I'll agree I'm not common but there's quite a few of us who commute in
> excess of 20kms each way. Getting back on topic though, commuter issues
> are different to roadie issues and, from a sustainable transport point
> of view, potentially more important.

This is only partially true, and it comes from the (flawed)
assumption that roadies don't commute. Almost all my
roadies do. So not only are "we" riding more on the roads
than most, "we're" also facing the commuter's issues. I'd say
commuter issues are a subset of roadie issues in many cases.

> Things like secure bicycle
> parking, end of trip facilities etc. There's a good deal of overlap,
> changing road culture, education of all road users (yes, even cyclists)
> about rights and responsibilities etc.

I'd say the overlap is considerably more than my impression
of the general view towards roadies here. I'm not trying to pick a
fight,
this is just my impression.

The only significant place where roadies and commuters diverge is the
training
aspect, where we (roadies) often ride in large bunches*, while
commuters tend to ride a lot more solo.

> Not everyone's as fortunate as me, I've got decent showers at work and
> if a theif's willing to pinch my relatively inexpensive bike from under
> the noses of SOG then good luck to them ;-)

heh!

* I don't think this is a good thing most of the time, but that's
another 2c
worth :) I do most of my training solo ...

dave said:
EuanB wrote:

> Not everyone's as fortunate as me, I've got decent showers at work and
> if a theif's willing to pinch my relatively inexpensive bike from under
> the noses of SOG then good luck to them ;-)

I guess that its not like its stored at the drug squad :)
Let's put it this way. First time I parked the bike there I nearly locked it; that is until I noticed that out of the thirty or so bikes (including the bike patrol bikes) parked there not a single one was locked.

I figured if I locked it there'd be more chance of a copper being professionally insulted and expressing his displeasure on my bike than my bike actually going missing.

Bleve said:
EuanB wrote:

> I'll agree I'm not common but there's quite a few of us who commute in
> excess of 20kms each way. Getting back on topic though, commuter issues
> are different to roadie issues and, from a sustainable transport point
> of view, potentially more important.

This is only partially true, and it comes from the (flawed)
assumption that roadies don't commute. Almost all my
roadies do. So not only are "we" riding more on the roads
than most, "we're" also facing the commuter's issues. I'd say
commuter issues are a subset of roadie issues in many cases.

When does a roadie stop being a commuter and a commuter stops being a roadie? In a lot of cases it's just a label one puts on oneself.

I ride a road bike. OK it's a low end road bike but it is a road bike. I also wear lycra, have cleats etc etc.

My road bike's kitted out for commuting, it's got a rack. I use panniers; very occaisonally I use my Crumpler for really light loads.

Sometimes I'll go the long way home, just for a few more ks. I vary intensities on my ride, sometimes I throw some intervals in just for fun.

> Things like secure bicycle
> parking, end of trip facilities etc. There's a good deal of overlap,
> changing road culture, education of all road users (yes, even cyclists)
> about rights and responsibilities etc.
I'd say the overlap is considerably more than my impression
of the general view towards roadies here. I'm not trying to pick a
fight,
this is just my impression.
Again we're stuck on this labels thing. To many people a roadie is someone who drives their bike to Beach Road, does some ks then drives their bike back home and goes to work. The archetypal weekend warrior, if you will.

I prefer to lump everyone in the same bucket; cyclists.

* I don't think this{bunch riding} is a good thing most of the time, but that's
another 2c
worth :) I do most of my training solo ...
Being passed by a bunch is a bit un-nerving. Fortunately I'm pretty good at riding in a straight line, some people aren't.

EuanB said:
When does a roadie stop being a commuter and a commuter stops being a roadie?

When you're going somewhere rather than going for a ride.

EuanB said:
To many people a roadie is someone who drives their bike to Beach Road, does some ks then drives their bike back home and goes to work. The archetypal weekend warrior, if you will.

No, that's a triathlete.

Roadies commute, but commuters don't do road races. That's the difference.

> When does a roadie stop being a commuter and a commuter stops being a
> roadie? In a lot of cases it's just a label one puts on oneself.
>
> I ride a road bike. OK it's a low end road bike but it is a road
> bike. I also wear lycra, have cleats etc etc.
>
> My road bike's kitted out for commuting, it's got a rack. I use
> panniers; very occaisonally I use my Crumpler for really light loads.
>
> Sometimes I'll go the long way home, just for a few more ks. I vary
> intensities on my ride, sometimes I throw some intervals in just for
> fun.

Sounds like your riding habits are very similar to mine. I dont do the
intervals thing, but I do tend to stand in the pedals to romp up a rise in a
taller gear just because I'm feeling good about the ride.

On 2005-09-27, EuanB (aka Bruce)

> Bleve Wrote:
>> This is only partially true, and it comes from the (flawed)
>> assumption that roadies don't commute. Almost all my
>> roadies do. So not only are "we" riding more on the roads
>> than most, "we're" also facing the commuter's issues. I'd say
>> commuter issues are a subset of roadie issues in many cases.
>>

> When does a roadie stop being a commuter and a commuter stops being a
> roadie? In a lot of cases it's just a label one puts on oneself.

You're a commuter if GPL chases you down and laughes at you as he
passes :)

> I ride a road bike. OK it's a low end road bike but it is a road
> bike. I also wear lycra, have cleats etc etc.
>
> My road bike's kitted out for commuting, it's got a rack. I use
> panniers; very occaisonally I use my Crumpler for really light loads.

GPL would really laugh at you, then :)

I be mean.

> Sometimes I'll go the long way home, just for a few more ks. I vary
> intensities on my ride, sometimes I throw some intervals in just for
> fun.

I've been varying my intensity the last few weeks. Slow to damn slow.
Stupid legs. Stupid exhaustion. Blood tests came back fine, so I
have no excuse. Other than maybe chronic fatigue.

--
TimC
Your fault (core dumped)

Shabby wrote:
> EuanB Wrote:
> > When does a roadie stop being a commuter and a commuter stops being a
> > roadie?

> When you're going somewhere rather than going for a ride.

I'd suggest going somewhere versus training for something,
but it's just semantics :)

> EuanB Wrote:
> > To many people a roadie is someone who drives their bike to Beach Road,
> > does some ks then drives their bike back home and goes to work. The
> > archetypal weekend warrior, if you will.

> No, that's a triathlete.
>
> Roadies commute, but commuters don't do road races. That's the
> difference.

*bingo*

EuanB wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > EuanB wrote:
> >
> > > I'll agree I'm not common but there's quite a few of us who commute

> > in
> > > excess of 20kms each way. Getting back on topic though, commuter

> > issues
> > > are different to roadie issues and, from a sustainable transport

> > point
> > > of view, potentially more important.

> > This is only partially true, and it comes from the (flawed)
> > assumption that roadies don't commute. Almost all my
> > roadies do. So not only are "we" riding more on the roads
> > than most, "we're" also facing the commuter's issues. I'd say
> > commuter issues are a subset of roadie issues in many cases.
> >

> When does a roadie stop being a commuter and a commuter stops being a
> roadie? In a lot of cases it's just a label one puts on oneself.

As with all labels, there's grey areas.

> I ride a road bike. OK it's a low end road bike but it is a road
> bike. I also wear lycra, have cleats etc etc.
>
> My road bike's kitted out for commuting, it's got a rack. I use
> panniers; very occaisonally I use my Crumpler for really light loads.

You can carry a slab in a crumperbag! Light load?!

> Sometimes I'll go the long way home, just for a few more ks. I vary
> intensities on my ride, sometimes I throw some intervals in just for
> fun.

So you ride like a roady, but you don't race?

Have you ever thought about racing at all? You probably have
the miles in your legs to give D grade a go ... It's good fun.

That would be "******" :)

> I prefer to lump everyone in the same bucket; cyclists.

That's like lumping all manipulators of 4 wheel, petrol burning
vehicles as "drivers". Taxis are *different*. Riceboys
are *different* Ute wielding bogans are *different* (real aussies
drive utes, after all...) . landbarge
parking "toughguy" wannabes are *different*. Dad's falcadore
borrowing teenagers crammed into a shopping trolley on a friday night
with a skinfull of **** are *different*! Grandad with his eyesight so
bad he can
only just see the car infront if it's 2m away is *different*

And ... old farts on steelies with drop bars rotated through
180 degrees tootling along in dustcoats and workboots are *different*
roadies in trade team kit (lotto domo, please, FdJ is -so- 2003!) or
trihardaletes with beerguts and $10k
Uberbikes. Then there's couriers .... and bearded high school
science teacher recumbent riders .. w00t! And then there's
"recreational" riders, who only ever ride on paths, clad in the
ubicutous Netti Yellow "guaranteed to keep you wet" nylon drag-jackets,
and the vagrants who
only ride on footpaths .. and kids with trainerwheels (and
triathaletes,
also on trainer wheels!) There's MTB snobs, SS elitists, who get
snubbed
by the truly elitist fixie riders. BMX bandits with puddingbowl
helmets and belts with studs and seats angled to give them enemas if
they ever actually sit down, like you can with your seat that low
anyway!
Hybrid riders who don't know what the fuss is about, uni students on
old shitters loaded to the gunnels with books and copyright-volation
MP3 players
blaring. There's anarchists on their scrounged from the tip clunkers
making a point, CM riders with sonic cannons and streamers ... there's
greenies trying to save the planet, hippies trying to get home stoned
now there's random drug testing and besides, they spent the petrol
money on hash, man, and the
VDub won't run on biodiesel... who's left?!

We're *not* all the same!

We (cyclists) share some things, we all want safe roads. Except the
MTB riders who carry their UberMTBs on the roof of the Volvo C70,
like the wannabie surfies with tri-fin boards bolted to the top of the
sandman so they can pick up chicks at the beach,
out to Macclesfield for a day's mudbashing, but who swerve *at*
the roadies riding up the bitumen ... damn them!

hrm.

Where *is* the landsurfer when I need him? :)

At least I got a laugh when writing that .. I hope you see the humour
intended!

On 2005-09-27, Bleve (aka Bruce)

<snip>

> blaring. There's anarchists on their scrounged from the tip clunkers
> making a point, CM riders with sonic cannons and streamers ... there's
> greenies trying to save the planet, hippies trying to get home stoned
> now there's random drug testing and besides, they spent the petrol
> money on hash, man, and the
> VDub won't run on biodiesel... who's left?!

<snip>

You, sir, are teh fun'ni.

--
TimC
You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull