I know why the caged bird sings

In article <biOYb.6516$Xp.57533@attbi_s54>,
"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote >
> > Inspiration...
> >
> > We all know that Shimano makes plastic SPD-to-flat pedal inserts, and here's a nice boutique
> > adaptation of that idea:
> >
> > http://www.winwoodbikeparts.com/decksters.html
>
> > but what about the next level?
> >
> > Take the platform adapter, add a clip-and-strap type system with one special exception: the clip
> > and strap attachment is designed to not let the strapped-in shoe go free under any
> > circumstances. Then give it a rubber tread on the bottom of the shoe around the SPD cleat area.
> >
> > Voila! An adapter that turns any shoe into a clipless shoe.
>
> Keep looking at that site. You're describing another one of their (earlier) products.

http://www.winwoodbikeparts.com/instep_spd.html

The Instep seems to be almost there. But the SPD model does not look very stand-worthy, and in
general the Instep seems designed to clip into SPDs and stay clipped into SPDs. This is a reasonable
step, but it really just converts a clipless pedal to a clip-and-strap pedal. My incredibly clever
idea temporarily converts a normal shoe to a clipless shoe by attaching the instep-type device to
the shoe firmly enough that it moves with the shoe at all times, and attaches to and releases from
the pedal mechanism at will.

The major new compromise would be increased stack height, and the shoes you wear might not be
very stiff.

To transform the instep into my idea, make the straps much larger so they can be tightened firmly to
the shoe (think of straps that immobilize the shoe relative to the platform). Then add rubber pads
to the bottom of the adapter so you can stand and walk short distances (feet, not furlongs).