Not Responding said:On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:58:36 +0100, Al C-F
<[email hidden]> wrote:Snip
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:> >
> >I would suggest some means of internalising wellbeing and happiness. I
have
> >no idea how to do it :-)
>
> Then you need to examine your consumerist values.
>I'm not entirely sure what you mean -please explain.
Go and have a look at www.kenkifer.com - there's a man fulfilled by a
very low-impact lifestyle. Look at his pages on Walden. Buy the book
and study it.Or, there *was* a man fulfilled etc. I doubt the same can be said for
the drunk [censored] who ran him down and killed him.
Indeed. Careless abbreviating. Sorry.
Quoted message said:
snipQuoted message said:Quoted message said:Additionally, fuel tax can't do things like discourage stupidly short
journeys whilst limiting the effect on longer, more sensible trips -
something we need to be thinking about.
Just because a trip is longer, it isn't automatically more sensible.
We have buses and trains in the UK.Al, I've been meaning to ask this since we ran into each other in The
Other Place but do you own a car or have you taken the plunge?
Not for the last three and a bit years, since the company went over to
an allowance. Somehow, I never quite got round to buying a car. I
was going to get one if I needed it. Station less than 10 mins from
home. Other station less than 10 mins from work. Stations on same
length of track. (Journey allows brief view of M3 which is usually
slow or stationary, and convinces me that I am right).
School ten minutes walk away.
When all else fails, 20 mins cycle to SOU and collect a hire car.
Mrs. C-F runs a car for weekly shopping and ferrying children to
activities after school, this is probably more economical than using
taxis as said activities are spread across neighbouring towns/villages
and occur most evenings. Lifts are shared with other parents as
appropriate.
--
Cheers,
Al