"Al C-F" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Nathaniel Porter said:
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
But the fact that poor households can't afford cars is
whats unfair!
How do you work that out? Is it unfair that I can't afford
a new Rolls Royce? Nor can I afford a stately home in its
own park land or a luxury yacht. All unfair?
None of these is a necessity, nor is a car.
And VAT aside, none of them is taxed to increase the cost.
It isn't the cost of the fuel - it's the high levels of tax
that are placed on top of it. Now I appreciate that external
costs should be internalised - but while this is only done
on a limited number of products (like petrol) instead of
everything (things like electricity etc.) all you do is make
the fuel artificially expensive.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
Put another way - the rich simply don't notice the
increase, and don't bother with modal shift. I would
suggest these are the people most likely
to
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:be driving (driven?) 0.5 of a mile :-)
How strange. The appearance of some of the cars and
drivers at my local shops suggests that they are anything
but rich - and these aren't specialist shops that you
would drive to from any distance.
I didn't say that the poor would be unlikely to drive 0.5 of
a mile - rather that the rich would be more likely to do it.
Without wishing to be offensive, maybe your local shops
aren't somewhere rich people would want to go.
London (for example) is full of rich people who think its a
good idea to drive 0.5 of a mile.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Some people would like to use a car sensibly in order to
see the world and enjoy a certain flexibilty the car
offers (for example). I think we should think very
carefully about
anything
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:which denies sections of society the ability to do so.
Let them use public transport.
I don't want to live in a society
Quoted message said:
And bikes. And walking.
Absolutely for short distances. But it's not going to get
you all that far.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
The solution of course is to lift the poor out of poverty
I think you'll find little evidence of real poverty
in the UK.
Whilst it is true some stats have too high a bar for poverty
(the anual holiday abroad for kids springs to mind), and
that there are considerable people who misspend their income
- however I think to deny real poverty exists in this
country is to bury ones head in the sand.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
I mean in so much as it widens the gap between rich
and poor.
As long as the 'poor' can afford the necessities, why
should you want to inhibit the rich?
Why should the poor only be entitled to the "necessities"?
Aren't they allowed a quality of life, to have some fun?
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
I agree that car dependant societies are also divisive -
but I would
suggest
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:a society that prevents the poor from enjoying the
benfits of sensible
car
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:use would be equally so.
I doubt it, but feel free to demonstrate the idea to me.
You would end up with a situation where the roads become a
race track for the rich, while the poor are expected to ride
their bikes in the gutter, walk in their own designated
areas (without holding up the rich, of course), and get by
on poorly maintained unreliable and neglected public
transport.
Oh, hang on...