I like it, they get rid of it

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michel Boucher, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to
    find out soon afterwards it has been discontinued or the stores no
    longer carry it. Here are a few examples:

    Food:

    - President's Choice Steak and Burger sauce
    - La Costena chipotle sauce
    - Fresh coriander (cilantro for you ROTB types) chutney
    - Crodo chinotto
    - Aït-Souala 1964 (Moroccan wine...ok, I drank that over there...but it was fabulous! :) A bottle
    of 1966 I bought at Expo '67 was vinegar)

    TV:

    - Dark Angel (cancelled after second season, although Cameron pulled an elegant ending out of it
    nonetheless)
    - Firefly (cancelled after airing only 10 episodes, a crying shame)

    I guess they had to make room for Reality TV...because the gods know stupid people watch TV too...

    My wife feels she's similarly targetted by TV producers since the cancellation of "Tequila and
    Bonetti" (starring Mariska Hargitay, some guy and a dog). She has never recovered and categorically
    refuses to like TV shows since (unless they're CBC or BBC news programmes).

    Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    perfectly sane as you do so :)

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

    Tags:

  2. "Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    > share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    > perfectly sane as you do so :)

    O'Ryan's Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips. There were no better chips in the world. I once wrote to
    Hostess asking what happened to them, only to receive a reply stating, "We're sorry, but you have
    the wrong company. We make Twinkies and Ding Dong's" or something like that. Sad, but true!

    rona

  3. Nancyjaye

    Nancyjaye Guest

    Don't holler! I miss low-fat blueberry poptarts without the icing.

    NancyJaye

    "Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it has
    > been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. Here are a few examples:
    >
    > Food:
    >
    > - President's Choice Steak and Burger sauce
    > - La Costena chipotle sauce
    > - Fresh coriander (cilantro for you ROTB types) chutney
    > - Crodo chinotto
    > - Aït-Souala 1964 (Moroccan wine...ok, I drank that over there...but it was fabulous! :) A bottle
    > of 1966 I bought at Expo '67 was vinegar)
    >
    > TV:
    >
    > - Dark Angel (cancelled after second season, although Cameron pulled an elegant ending out of it
    > nonetheless)
    > - Firefly (cancelled after airing only 10 episodes, a crying shame)
    >
    > I guess they had to make room for Reality TV...because the gods know stupid people watch TV too...
    >
    > My wife feels she's similarly targetted by TV producers since the cancellation of "Tequila and
    > Bonetti" (starring Mariska Hargitay, some guy and a dog). She has never recovered and
    > categorically refuses to like TV shows since (unless they're CBC or BBC news programmes).
    >
    > Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    > share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    > perfectly sane as you do so :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > "I'm the master of low expectations."
    >
    > GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  4. Sapphire

    Sapphire Guest

    On 10 Feb 2004 00:26:30 GMT, Michel Boucher <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it has
    >been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. Here are a few examples:
    [snip]
    >Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    >share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    >perfectly sane as you do so :)

    Not quite the same, but I moved from Minnesota (Minneapolis) to New York (Buffalo) and have found
    some serious differences in food availability.

    The one that drives me crazy is I used to get Top the Tater for chip dip and tacos and all sorts of
    other things. I would have been happy to settle for any sort of Sour Cream with Chives type product,
    but no such animal exists here. I've tried every supermarket, grocery store, convenience store, and
    everyplace else I could think of that sells food. All I can get is plain sour cream. I can get
    cottage cheese with chives, but not sour cream.

    Last time I was in Minneapolis, I checked the ingredients, and have started trying to make my own,
    but it's just not the same.

    I also miss the blueberry muffin mixes that come with *two* cans of blueberries instead of just one.
    That's easy to fix, though. Now I take the can of blueberries out of the muffin mix to use in
    blueberry pancakes (or waffles), and use fresh blueberries in my muffins.

    -Sapphire.

  5. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Michel Boucher wrote:

    > Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    > share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    > perfectly sane as you do so :)
    >
    > --

    Busha Browne's Fruit Chutney. Jamaican. Cost Plus used to carry it. No more. :-(

    gloria p

  6. Sf

    Sf Guest

    I can honestly say I've never heard of any show you mentioned. ```````````````

    On 10 Feb 2004 00:26:30 GMT, Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it
    > has been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. Here are a few examples:
    >
    > Food:
    >
    > - President's Choice Steak and Burger sauce
    > - La Costena chipotle sauce
    > - Fresh coriander (cilantro for you ROTB types) chutney
    > - Crodo chinotto
    > - Aït-Souala 1964 (Moroccan wine...ok, I drank that over there...but it was fabulous! :) A
    > bottle of 1966 I bought at Expo '67 was vinegar)
    >
    > TV:
    >
    > - Dark Angel (cancelled after second season, although Cameron pulled an elegant ending out of it
    > nonetheless)
    > - Firefly (cancelled after airing only 10 episodes, a crying shame)
    >
    > I guess they had to make room for Reality TV...because the gods know stupid people watch
    > TV too...
    >
    > My wife feels she's similarly targetted by TV producers since the cancellation of "Tequila and
    > Bonetti" (starring Mariska Hargitay, some guy and a dog). She has never recovered and
    > categorically refuses to like TV shows since (unless they're CBC or BBC news programmes).
    >
    > Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    > share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    > perfectly sane as you do so :)

  7. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    > share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    > perfectly sane as you do so :)

    Chapala brand Salsa. I used to buy it when I lived in DesMoines. I think they went out of business.
    It was to die for!

    -L.

  8. stan

    stan Guest

    Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:

    > TV:

    > - Dark Angel (cancelled after second season, although Cameron pulled an elegant ending out of it
    > nonetheless)
    > - Firefly (cancelled after airing only 10 episodes, a crying shame)

    I never tried any of the items on your food list. I was never a fan of Dark Angel, probably for the
    simple reason that I was never home when it was broadcast. As for Firefly, I was recently introduced
    to that show by a friend who has all the episodes on DVD. I believe he bought those DVDs from Best
    Buy. Firefly is an excellent show (or was) for anyone who enjoys science fiction. It is everything
    Star Trek Enterprise should have been. Real suspence, inventive stories, and good acting.

  9. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    wrote:

    >I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it has
    >been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. Here are a few examples:
    >
    >Food:
    >
    >- President's Choice Steak and Burger sauce
    >- La Costena chipotle sauce
    >- Fresh coriander (cilantro for you ROTB types) chutney
    >- Crodo chinotto
    >- Aït-Souala 1964 (Moroccan wine...ok, I drank that over there...but it was fabulous! :) A bottle
    > of 1966 I bought at Expo '67 was vinegar)

    My goodness, you have experienced a great deal more variety than I have. Lipton's instant tea with
    mint. Pesto/fontina/something else cheese parfait. Every upscale deli meat or cheese product stocked
    during a supermarket's 'grand opening' period and discontinued after. Commercial sesame semolina
    bread. Ben and Jerry's 'Aloha Macadamia' flavor.

  10. Nancy Dooley

    Nancy Dooley Guest

    Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it has
    > been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. Here are a few examples:
    >
    > Food:
    >
    > - President's Choice Steak and Burger sauce
    > - La Costena chipotle sauce
    > - Fresh coriander (cilantro for you ROTB types) chutney
    > - Crodo chinotto
    > - Aït-Souala 1964 (Moroccan wine...ok, I drank that over there...but it was fabulous! :) A bottle
    > of 1966 I bought at Expo '67 was vinegar)

    Flat chocolate mint disks (I use them in cookies) - I'm blanking on the brand - they came in two
    stacks, in a green cardboard container with cellophane on the front.

    Frozen chopped chives in a little tub - so wonderful; so convenient.

    Stretch 'n Seal plastic wrap - perfect stuff.

    Not food, but "cosmetic" Q-tips - discontinued.

    Not food, but a Sassoon wand-style 1250 W hair dryer with 3 speeds/3 heat settings.

    ;-) N.

  11. Rolled Beef, (the sliced deli cold-cut) available in the northeast, but not in Florida.

    Rudyard Kipling said "Words are the most powerful drugs used by mankind"
    ---
    I am a Bright.

  12. T E

    T E Guest

    From: [email protected] (Michel=A0Boucher Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only
    in your area? Now's your opportunity to share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you
    (insert name here) while seeming perfectly sane as you do so :)------------------------------------------------------
    RESPONE: I miss Uncle Don's potato chips Don't know what company manufactured them or if they were
    nation wide but best chips I have eaten. Also, there was a pre-packaged season garlic bread in the
    diary section that was the right size for two people. It's been off the market for a few years we
    both miss it. Touch By An Angel, even though it was time to end the series I miss watching the show
    on Saturday Sunday nites and having a good cry.

  13. Michel Boucher wrote:

    > I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it has
    > been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. Here are a few examples:
    >
    > Food:
    >
    > - President's Choice Steak and Burger sauce
    > - La Costena chipotle sauce
    > - Fresh coriander (cilantro for you ROTB types) chutney
    > - Crodo chinotto
    > - Aït-Souala 1964 (Moroccan wine...ok, I drank that over there...but it was fabulous! :) A bottle
    > of 1966 I bought at Expo '67 was vinegar)
    >
    > TV:
    >
    > - Dark Angel (cancelled after second season, although Cameron pulled an elegant ending out of it
    > nonetheless)
    > - Firefly (cancelled after airing only 10 episodes, a crying shame)
    >
    > I guess they had to make room for Reality TV...because the gods know stupid people watch TV too...
    >
    > My wife feels she's similarly targetted by TV producers since the cancellation of "Tequila and
    > Bonetti" (starring Mariska Hargitay, some guy and a dog). She has never recovered and
    > categorically refuses to like TV shows since (unless they're CBC or BBC news programmes).
    >
    > Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    > share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    > perfectly sane as you do so :)

    Well, there's Old El Paso Refried Beans with Sausage. I love that stuff. Haven't seen it in the
    stores for a couple of years. One large chain carries La Preferida RFBwS but I like Old El Paso
    better. So the other day I finally got around to calling Old El Paso (aka Pillsbury, aka General
    Mills) and found out the closest place that carries them is 40 miles away!!!! Sheesh! But found out
    I could order them online by the 4-pack or by the case. I ordered a case and including the shipping
    charge it's less per can than I would have paid in the store 2 years ago when I could still find
    them. I'm sure they would cost even more if they had them today.

    Yes, there are many things that I like that are discontinued. Just can't think of any others
    right off the top of my head. And I agree about Firefly. I loved that show. Some of the best
    shows don't last very long. And don't get me started about "reality" shows. This stuff is for
    morons. Now I could really get into it if Survivor really was "survivor", i.e. they could kill
    each other off, last person left alive wins. :) If I want to see people acting obnoxious and
    doing stupid, disgusting stuff all I have to do is leave my house. I watch tv for an escape from
    that kind of crap.

    Kate

    --
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
    smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all

  14. Marecat

    Marecat Guest

    wrote:

    >Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    >share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    >perfectly sane as you do so :)

    Food: Reggie Bars, Body Buddies cereal, Koogle flavored PB

    TV: Mister Sterling, Nowhere Man

  15. "Michel Boucher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it has
    > been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. >

    Benicol(sp) salad dressing. Phyl

  16. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Consulting the Google archives, I find:

    From: Mark Robert Thorson ([email protected]) Subject: Re: Lost Food Products Newsgroups:
    rec.food.cooking Date: 1994-06-25 14:57:01 PST

    Prontos -- this was a corrugated rectangular chip of the same shape as today's Sunchips. It was made
    from corn and wheat, with a distinctive corn taste mellowed by the wheat. It was very lightly salted
    with a fine salt powder. It was thicker than Sunchips, and rather dry (not much oil). My favorite
    chip of all time.

    Minitacos -- these were thin corn chips made from discs of corn-stuff which were folded over before
    frying. Excellent for dips, due to the taco-shell-like shape.

    From: Mark Robert Thorson ([email protected]) Subject: Re: Foods they don't MAKE any more....
    Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking Date: 1990-08-05 07:44:21 PST

    About 1975 there was a short-lived chip called Prontos. It was a wavy rectangle in shape. It
    combined corn flour with some other flour (oats or wheat, I think) so it was something like a corn
    chip without being a corn chip. A bit more bland in the corn department, so to speak. It was my
    favorite chip.

    In the year 2014, when this subject comes up again, I'll reminisce about this meat called "beef"
    that you can't get anymore. It was my favorite meat. The video of all those bodies stacked up like
    cordwood for mass incineration (the only safe way to dispose of them) and the horrible way they died
    really killed demand for the product. :)

  17. sjb56

    sjb56 Guest

    wrote:
    >Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    >share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    >perfectly sane as you do so :)

    Okay, I'm aging myself here :) I still miss 7 Up bars - they had seven different sections. One
    filled with caramel, one with jelly, one with nuts, etc. all covered in chocolate. They've been
    discontinued for quite a while. Oh well!

    I love Mariska Hargitay in Law & Order SVU. It's a good thing I can watch reruns on USA Network here
    near Atlanta.

    SusanB in GA

  18. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it has
    >been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. Here are a few examples:
    >
    >Food:

    Sauce Robert Fizzies (well, I probably wouldn't go for them today) El Pollo Asado Mary Jane French
    Fruit Cookies (avail. only in the Panama Canal Zone)

    >TV:

    Oh, gosh. The Drew Carey Show. Whose Line is it Anyway Northern Exposure Going to Extremes NYPD Blue
    (not gone yet, but it looks like this is the last season) Academy Leaders Meeting of Minds

    --
    Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
    "How can any culture that has more lawyers than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

  19. B . Server

    B . Server Guest

    wrote:

    >I find it quite annoying to discover a product I can enjoy only to find out soon afterwards it has
    >been discontinued or the stores no longer carry it. Here are a few examples:
    >
    >Food:
    >
    >- President's Choice Steak and Burger sauce
    >- La Costena chipotle sauce
    >- Fresh coriander (cilantro for you ROTB types) chutney

    Not completely clear whether "fresh" is intended to modify "coriander" or "coriander chutney", but
    in any case, we have Nirav brand "Coriander Chutney" available at several Indian and SEA grocers.
    Perhaps you can find some in a local ethnic market?

    [...]
    >Is anything you liked no longer available, even if only in your area? Now's your opportunity to
    >share your thoughts on that worldwide conspiracy to deny you (insert name here) while seeming
    >perfectly sane as you do so :)

    I recently found my self annoyed that "sandwich bags" (translucent paper about 6x6 inches) are
    apparently extinct.

  20. Eleanor

    Eleanor Guest

    I've been lurking, but here's one thread I can add to, with a recent experience......

    I may be the only person in the world who liked Saran Wrap junior-----just the right size for lots
    of things. Bought it once, liked it, tried to buy it again, no stores had it! Called the company
    only to be told it was discontinued. They told me to look for for it in closeout-type stores!