I like it, they get rid of it

Campbell's Cream of Poblano soup! This stuff was awesome, and I'm not one to eat canned soup often.
I was down in Baja last year and I found some in a local Mexican Mercado so I bought 6 cans and
brought them back home with me. Seems Americans didn't like it well enough so Campbell's
discontinued it in the US but kept selling it in Mexico.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:20:11 -0600, "Jinx" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>
> My Walmart(Twin Cities) does indeed still sell the original Buff Puff. They're on the bottom
> shelf next to the Phisoderm, et al.
>
Not trying to beat Walmart over the head, but I just learned that they pay their employees minimum
wage (minimal to no health benefits) and encourage their employees to apply for public assistance.

Do WE as a whole really want to encourage that type of business practice? It harms their
employees and it harms US as taxpayers, becasue we are the ones who pay the taxes that support
the welfare program.

We have to honestly evaluate our positions as tax payers, as stock holders AND as fellow members of
the underclass.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments

sf wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:20:11 -0600, "Jinx" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>
>> My Walmart(Twin Cities) does indeed still sell the original Buff Puff. They're on the bottom
>> shelf next to the Phisoderm, et al.
>>
>Not trying to beat Walmart over the head, but I just learned that they pay their employees minimum
>wage (minimal to no health benefits) and encourage their employees to apply for public assistance.
>
>Do WE as a whole really want to encourage that type of business practice? It harms their
>employees and it harms US as taxpayers, becasue we are the ones who pay the taxes that support
>the welfare program.
>
>We have to honestly evaluate our positions as tax payers, as stock holders AND as fellow members of
>the underclass.

but isn't it more important to save 3 cents on a huge jar of pickles?

Ô
--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:32:52 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

>Not trying to beat Walmart over the head, but I just learned that they pay their employees minimum
>wage (minimal to no health benefits) and encourage their employees to apply for public assistance.

My understanding for this is that Walmart also doesn't give employees full-time work, enabling them
to avoid paying health benefits.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:32:52 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Not trying to beat Walmart over the head, but I just learned that they pay their employees
> >minimum wage (minimal to no health benefits) and encourage their employees to apply for public
> >assistance.
>
> My understanding for this is that Walmart also doesn't give employees full-time work, enabling
> them to avoid paying health benefits.

Our WalMart opened about two years ago and employed a *lot* of people on the island. Most have since
quit because of unfair business practices. From what I understand, the majority of the staff working
at WalMart now are transplants from a Georgia location. Great, bring in more people to the island!
We don't have affordable housing and we have a lack of housing as it is. WalMart *does* have great
benefits, however. They carry Kaiser, which is the best Hawaii has, and it really helped out a
friend of mine who was on disability with WalMart for a year. They covered her the entire time.

kilikini

Saerah wrote:
>
> sf wrote in message <[email protected]>...
> >On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:20:11 -0600, "Jinx" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> My Walmart(Twin Cities) does indeed still sell the original Buff Puff. They're on the bottom
> >> shelf next to the Phisoderm, et al.
> >>
> >Not trying to beat Walmart over the head, but I just learned that they pay their employees
> >minimum wage (minimal to no health benefits) and encourage their employees to apply for public
> >assistance.
> >
> >Do WE as a whole really want to encourage that type of business practice? It harms their
> >employees and it harms US as taxpayers, becasue we are the ones who pay the taxes that support
> >the welfare program.
> >
> >We have to honestly evaluate our positions as tax payers, as stock holders AND as fellow members
> >of the underclass.
>
> but isn't it more important to save 3 cents on a huge jar of pickles?
>
> Ô
> --
> Saerah
>
> TANSTAAFL

Saerah, Boy you brought back some memories. The used to be, probably still is, a Maine Coon breeder
in Memphis, TN, whose cattery name was/is TANSTAAFL. I though for a minute you were she until I
looked more carefully and saw your name. But there *is* such a thing as a free lunch - it's just
really bad. ;-) For example last night I was at the car dealer getting my car inspected. I went to
the snack room to get a soda and they were $1.25. I was overheard complaining that I would just
drink water so the salesman came up to me a few minutes later and handed me a free Pepsi. Well, I
had to thank him and politely choke it down. Blecch! I only drink Coke!!!!
:)

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all
about? mailto:[email protected]

Kate Connally wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>Saerah wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>> >On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:20:11 -0600, "Jinx" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >>
>> >> My Walmart(Twin Cities) does indeed still sell the original Buff
Puff.
>> >> They're on the bottom shelf next to the Phisoderm, et al.
>> >>
>> >Not trying to beat Walmart over the head, but I just learned that they pay their employees
>> >minimum wage (minimal to no health benefits) and encourage their employees to apply for public
>> >assistance.
>> >
>> >Do WE as a whole really want to encourage that type of business practice? It harms their
>> >employees and it harms US as taxpayers, becasue we are the ones who pay the taxes that support
>> >the welfare program.
>> >
>> >We have to honestly evaluate our positions as tax payers, as stock holders AND as fellow members
>> >of the underclass.
>>
>> but isn't it more important to save 3 cents on a huge jar of pickles?
>>
>> Ô
>> --
>> Saerah
>>
>> TANSTAAFL
>
>Saerah, Boy you brought back some memories. The used to be, probably still is, a Maine Coon breeder
>in Memphis, TN, whose cattery name was/is TANSTAAFL. I though for a minute you were she until I
>looked more carefully and saw your name. But there *is* such a thing as a free lunch - it's just
>really bad. ;-) For example last night I was at the car dealer getting my car inspected. I went to
>the snack room to get a soda and they were $1.25. I was overheard complaining that I would just
>drink water so the salesman came up to me a few minutes later and handed me a free Pepsi. Well, I
>had to thank him and politely choke it down. Blecch! I only drink Coke!!!!
>:)

well, see, it wasn't really free, was it? you were paying to get your car inspected. you gave up
your time, as well. and you had to drink pepsi. YUCK!

:)

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:21:25 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked
like this:

>Our WalMart opened about two years ago and employed a *lot* of people on the island. Most have
>since quit because of unfair business practices. From what I understand, the majority of the staff
>working at WalMart now are transplants from a Georgia location. Great, bring in more people to the
>island! We don't have affordable housing and we have a lack of housing as it is. WalMart *does*
>have great benefits, however. They carry Kaiser, which is the best Hawaii has, and it really
>helped out a friend of mine who was on disability with WalMart for a year. They covered her the
>entire time.

There was an article in the LA Times a few days ago about how Wal-Mart pays such low wages that
their employees are eligible for MediCal (California subsidized health insurance) and Wal-Mart
provided pamphlets to their employees on how to apply for MediCal. So, in effect, California
taxpayers are subsidizing Wal-Mart's bottom line, which explains the 5 month grocery strike out here
while the groceries are trying to position themselves to compete with Wal-Mart, a/k/a NAFTA-Mart.

And, if you have Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance, you've signed a suicide pact with 'em, IMHO. I
used to do med/mal. Kaiser Permanente is really scary.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and then beat you with
experience."

To reply, replace "shcox" with "cox"

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:21:25 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> They carry Kaiser, which is the best Hawaii has, and it really helped out a friend of mine who
> was on disability with WalMart for a year. They covered her the entire time.
>

I've never thought about that! To me, "disability insurance" covers the paycheck and the medical. I
know the paycheck part is issued by the state.

I've never had to deal with who pays for the medical if the person becomes unemployed (call it layed
off) after the "needs medical services" part kicks in.

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:02:07 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:21:25 GMT, "kilikini" <[email protected]> arranged random
> neurons, so they looked like this:
>
> >Our WalMart opened about two years ago and employed a *lot* of people on the island. Most have
> >since quit because of unfair business practices. From what I understand, the majority of the
> >staff working at WalMart now are transplants from a Georgia location. Great, bring in more
> >people to the island! We don't have affordable housing and we have a lack of housing as it is.
> >WalMart *does* have great benefits, however. They carry Kaiser, which is the best Hawaii has,
> >and it really helped out a friend of mine who was on disability with WalMart for a year. They
> >covered her the entire time.
>
> There was an article in the LA Times a few days ago about how Wal-Mart pays such low wages
> that their employees are eligible for MediCal (California subsidized health insurance) and Wal-
> Mart provided pamphlets to their employees on how to apply for MediCal. So, in effect,
> California taxpayers are subsidizing Wal-Mart's bottom line, which explains the 5 month
> grocery strike out here while the groceries are trying to position themselves to compete with
> Wal-Mart, a/k/a NAFTA-Mart.

Up here it wasn't called a "strike". It was an "informational picket line". In any case, Safeway has
won the battle and will now have a two tiered system like the airlines had many years ago.

IMO: Knowing how Safeway treats employees in the first place, this is a really bad sign for their
workers....

Gag! I own Safeway stock. This screams *sell* to me, because I can't hold stock in a company that
disrespects workers to that extent.

We have to draw a line somewhere and that's where mine is.
>

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> And, if you have Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance, you've signed a suicide pact with 'em, IMHO.
> I used to do med/mal. Kaiser Permanente is really scary.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

I've been with Kaiser Permanente for 30 years and couldn't be happier. I have had nothing but
outstanding care from them. I just hope I can continue to afford to have their health care.

Charlie