I like this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wafflycathcsdir

See the following article in my local online rag. I can't claim authorship - it doesn't say who is,
but I rather suspect it's Fergus Muir who does a lot of cycle reporting locally.

Cheers, helen s

<http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.asp?datetime=20+May+2003+17%3A
35&tbrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Sport&category=Sport&brand=EDPOnline&itemid=
NOED20+May+2003+17%3A36%3A07%3A377>

"70-plus - and still on their bikes May 20, 2003

Falling off a bike may be proverbially speaking an easy thing to do, but two Norfolk men are proving
to be decidedly difficult to detach from their saddles.

Between them septuagenarians Eddie Fone and Tom Blanchflower have been racing the roads of East
Anglia for well over a century. And neither of them is showing any sign of wanting to get off their
bike just yet.

Both men still cover a hundred miles and more a week in training and spend most weekends taking part
in competitive road races.

And for 75-year-old Norwich Amateur Bike Club member Fone, who first took up cycling as a means
of getting to and from work, the will to win and keep making his mark on the sport is just as
great as ever.

He said: "I have had a number of highlights in my career. The first time I got under the hour mark
for 25 miles was a major achievement because if you do that you are recognised as a classy type of
rider. I managed it when I was 39 and did a time of 59mins 39secs.

"In the 1960s I also broke the 24 hour record by riding 427 miles. That was

today.

"More recently I broke the national 25 mile record for 71-year-olds with a time of 57.35 and
the next year I broke the record for 72-year-olds with 57.59. I also hold all the local records
for my age.

"But since I won the two national ones I have gone down hill a bit. I haven't been under the hour
for two years now, but it is still my ambition to do that and to get another national record. I will
be 76 this summer, so will have a new set of records to go at."

While it is the competitive spirit that has coaxed Fone into keeping pedalling for half a century,
the love of the sport and the manner it is conducted in has sustained 76-year-old Blanchflower for
even longer.

The Wisbech Wheelers club member who lives in Downham Market took up the sport at the age of just
15, over 60 years

He said: "Back then there were very few motor cars so it was a case of either cycling or walking. I
saved up myself for my first racing bike, it was a Claude Butler, which cost me about £9, they were
the thing back then.

"I certainly didn't think that I would still be racing 60 years later because in those days you
packed up sport when you were less than thirty years old. I did have a period when I was without a
bike and I played other sports, but I came back to it because it is just a fantastic sport and a
very friendly one.

"I like getting out into the open air and I like to compete, but the big thing is to be able to go
to races and be able to chat to old friends."

And while they both thrive off different aspects of cycling neither Fone nor Blanchflower intend to
give up the sport just yet.

"I keep saying that it is going to be my last year," said Fone. "But I say that every year.

"While I am still reasonably healthy and while I am still able to compete well I want to carry on
and aim to get the veterans records each year."

"Cycling is a great sport, it keeps you fit, gets you out into the fresh air and when you feel a bit
down or have any problems its good to go out on your bike."

Blanchflower, who credits the two pints of beer he drinks each day with keeping him fit, echoed this
saying: "I certainly don't intend to give it up yet. I don't ever really get fed up of cycling and
training; the only thing I do get fed up with is the weather.

"Cycling is a good sport for all people because it is not hard on your joints like jogging, you see
a bit more of the countryside and you can do it in company or on your own.

"I don't think that you can beat it.""

~~~~~~~~~~
Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

On 20 May 2003 21:50:58 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>70-plus - and still on their bikes

And still doing 25 in an hour! Respect!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>70-plus - and still on their bikes
>
> And still doing 25 in an hour! Respect!

Maybe bad form to ask, but is Sheffield's senior cyclist still going strong? IIRC he was breaking
records when I was there in the early '90s (when he passed his own 90th, and was still cycling to
York for the rally, etc).

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>More recently I broke the national 25 mile record for 71-year-olds with a
time
> of 57.35 and the next year I broke the record for 72-year-olds with 57.59.
I
> also hold all the local records for my age.

Oh FFS, sub one-hour 25's at 72! I don't think I could even do that now, and I'm 20 years younger!
Incredible.

Rich

[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Blanchflower, who credits the two pints of beer he drinks each day with keeping him fit

I suppose it's one way of looking at it. Sink a couple of pints every day and you'll be able to
cycle long distances with no ill effects.
:)

--
Dave...

"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> See the following article in my local online rag. I can't claim
authorship - it
> doesn't say who is, but I rather suspect it's Fergus Muir who does a lot
of
> cycle reporting locally.
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

Drinking beer and cycling into the 70s . Brilliant :) He's inspired me to have go at this sub 60
min lark, but I'll need a road bike to do it. I think I saw one dumped in some bushes the other
day. Simon

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Blanchflower, who credits the two pints of beer he drinks each day with keeping him fit

How far from home is his pub?

>
> I suppose it's one way of looking at it. Sink a couple of pints every day and you'll be able to
> cycle long distances with no ill effects.
> :)

Status
Not open for further replies.