General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I lost 100 pounds!

Started by heartha · · Last activity · 44 posts · 1,508 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 December 2004
Last activity
26 December 2004
Original author
heartha
Posts
44
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,508
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 44
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jim Bard wrote:
    || "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    || news:[email hidden]...
    ||| Jim Bard wrote:
    ||||| I do have a friend who has lost 135 pounds in the last 18 months,
    ||||| and she is very proud of her accomplishments, as she should be.
    |||
    ||| Did she lose it on LC? Did she count calories? I would appreciate
    ||| it if you could find and report back.
    |||
    |||
    ||
    || Roger, she was just majorly fat, and lost weight without even
    || reading a book. She just cut out the white stuff, and lost a lot of
    || weight. To her credit, she quit smoking at the same time.
    ||
    || She is not my future, but I respect her all the same.

    Thanks, Jim.

    This is yet another example of someone going LC and not counting any
    calories and getting to normal weight. A true "Dong Lerner LC Success
    Story!"

  2. Heartha says she stalled when counting just carbs and switched to WW. So
    she didn't *only* count carbs.

    Surely there must be *some* people out there who have gotten to goal by
    just counting carbs? Or not?

    If you count WW points you impose other limitations on top of counting
    carbs. WW points include calories as part of the point equation.

    doug

    p.s. Heartha - I am certainly not diminishing your great achievement. I
    think it is wonderful and also offer my congratulations! The comment
    that Roger made is just about another side-discussion we are having.

    Roger Zoul said:

    Heartha -

    You are a true LC success according to Doug Lerner since you got to near
    goal while only counting carbs (I'm excludng points since he didn't mention
    that). Good deal!

    See Doug - here is another one!

    heartha wrote:
    || Hi Roger - I don't count calories. I counted carbs until I stalled
    || out for a few months, then switched to WW, but still counting carbs
    || - I just counted Points too 🙂 I take a lot of supplements (fish &
    || flax oil pills and fiber along with everything else you'd expect).
    || I try to do weight training 2-3 times a week and walk 20-40 minutes
    || a day, 20 minutes a time.
    ||
    ||
    ||
    || "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    || news:[email hidden]...
    ||| Did you LC your 100 lbs by LCing? Did you count calories?

  3. Isn't counting points easier than counting calories? Also did you see that
    post about Jim Bard's friend?

    Doug Lerner wrote:
    || Heartha says she stalled when counting just carbs and switched to
    || WW. So
    || she didn't *only* count carbs.
    ||
    || Surely there must be *some* people out there who have gotten to goal
    || by
    || just counting carbs? Or not?
    ||
    || If you count WW points you impose other limitations on top of
    || counting carbs. WW points include calories as part of the point
    || equation.
    ||
    || doug
    ||
    || p.s. Heartha - I am certainly not diminishing your great
    || achievement. I think it is wonderful and also offer my
    || congratulations! The comment
    || that Roger made is just about another side-discussion we are having.
    ||
    ||
    || Roger Zoul wrote:
    ||| Heartha -
    |||
    ||| You are a true LC success according to Doug Lerner since you got to
    ||| near goal while only counting carbs (I'm excludng points since he
    ||| didn't mention that). Good deal!
    |||
    ||| See Doug - here is another one!
    |||
    |||
    ||| heartha wrote:
    ||||| Hi Roger - I don't count calories. I counted carbs until I stalled
    ||||| out for a few months, then switched to WW, but still counting
    ||||| carbs - I just counted Points too 🙂 I take a lot of supplements
    ||||| (fish & flax oil pills and fiber along with everything else you'd
    ||||| expect).
    ||||| I try to do weight training 2-3 times a week and walk 20-40
    ||||| minutes
    ||||| a day, 20 minutes a time.
    |||||
    |||||
    |||||
    ||||| "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    ||||| news:[email hidden]...
    |||||| Did you LC your 100 lbs by LCing? Did you count calories?

  4. Thanks Doug - I guess I'm just wondering "what's the big deal?" Is someone
    looking for validation of LC being the one true or only way to lose weight?
    This conversation is hitting some buttons for me. I look for successes in
    whatever form they come.

    I wouldn't say that WW put other limitations on my eating plan - I wanted to
    make sure that I was eating a more balanced diet, and WW helped me remember
    2 fruits, 2 dairy, protein at every meal, 5 vegs a day, 1-2 starches. My
    body appreciates that 🙂

    "Doug Lerner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Heartha says she stalled when counting just carbs and switched to WW. So
    she didn't *only* count carbs.

    Surely there must be *some* people out there who have gotten to goal by
    just counting carbs? Or not?

    If you count WW points you impose other limitations on top of counting
    carbs. WW points include calories as part of the point equation.

    doug

    p.s. Heartha - I am certainly not diminishing your great achievement. I
    think it is wonderful and also offer my congratulations! The comment
    that Roger made is just about another side-discussion we are having.

  5. I find counting Points very easy, and yes, more easy than counting calories.
    I like it because it takes fat and fiber into account, so something that I
    didn't think i could eat, turns out to be more balanced and acceptable than
    I thought once all those things are taken into consideration. Still
    carb-controlled, but including fiber and fat.

    "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Isn't counting points easier than counting calories? Also did you see


    that

    Quoted message said:

    post about Jim Bard's friend?

  6. No - I don't think that counting points is easier than counting
    calories. If anything it is harder because there are less references. It
    is easy to find the calories of anything - it's harder to find the WW
    points.

    (I have an Excel-based WW point counter lying around somewhere, though...)

    Anyway, WW points *includes* calories and therefore put limits on
    high-calorie foods even though they might be zero carbs. So there isn't
    any way you can reasonably call Weight Watchers a low-carb-only diet.

    So now we only have Jim Bard's anectodal friend, and we really don't
    know for sure how that person lost weight. It would be useful to hear
    directly from that person.

    Shouldn't there be thousands of people, though, with verifiable success
    stories of the sort I am talking about? Doesn't it strike you a bit odd
    that former chubbies who have gone from over 100 lb overweight to slim
    just by counting carbs aren't crawling out of the wordwork and posting
    all over the place?

    doug

    Roger Zoul said:

    Isn't counting points easier than counting calories? Also did you see that
    post about Jim Bard's friend?

    Doug Lerner wrote:
    || Heartha says she stalled when counting just carbs and switched to
    || WW. So
    || she didn't *only* count carbs.
    ||
    || Surely there must be *some* people out there who have gotten to goal
    || by
    || just counting carbs? Or not?
    ||
    || If you count WW points you impose other limitations on top of
    || counting carbs. WW points include calories as part of the point
    || equation.
    ||
    || doug
    ||
    || p.s. Heartha - I am certainly not diminishing your great
    || achievement. I think it is wonderful and also offer my
    || congratulations! The comment
    || that Roger made is just about another side-discussion we are having.
    ||
    ||
    || Roger Zoul wrote:
    ||| Heartha -
    |||
    ||| You are a true LC success according to Doug Lerner since you got to
    ||| near goal while only counting carbs (I'm excludng points since he
    ||| didn't mention that). Good deal!
    |||
    ||| See Doug - here is another one!
    |||
    |||
    ||| heartha wrote:
    ||||| Hi Roger - I don't count calories. I counted carbs until I stalled
    ||||| out for a few months, then switched to WW, but still counting
    ||||| carbs - I just counted Points too 🙂 I take a lot of supplements
    ||||| (fish & flax oil pills and fiber along with everything else you'd
    ||||| expect).
    ||||| I try to do weight training 2-3 times a week and walk 20-40
    ||||| minutes
    ||||| a day, 20 minutes a time.
    |||||
    |||||
    |||||
    ||||| "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    ||||| news:[email hidden]...
    |||||| Did you LC your 100 lbs by LCing? Did you count calories?

  7. heartha said:

    I find counting Points very easy, and yes, more easy than counting calories.
    I like it because it takes fat and fiber into account, so something that I
    didn't think i could eat, turns out to be more balanced and acceptable than
    I thought once all those things are taken into consideration. Still
    carb-controlled, but including fiber and fat.


    The WW points equation (defined at
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/diet.htm) takes into
    account calories, fat and protein, but not total carbs.

    doug

  8. heartha said:

    Thanks Doug - I guess I'm just wondering "what's the big deal?" Is someone
    looking for validation of LC being the one true or only way to lose weight?
    This conversation is hitting some buttons for me. I look for successes in
    whatever form they come.

    I agree that success is important no matter the form it comes in. That
    is why I wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to take away from your
    fantastic success. (I'm jealous! 🙂).

    We were just having a side-conversation on how valid "just low-carb
    counting" (that is, not counting anything else) really is as a weight
    loss plan that can take an extremely overweight person (somebody more
    than 100 lb overweight) down to normal or very-near-normal weight.

    Not as "the one true" or "only way" but just to see if LC *by itself*
    was "one way" of achieving this goal.

    I haven't heard any first person reports from anybody that indicates
    this is so.

    I've heard a LOT of reports from people like me who found low-carbing an
    easy way to lose 30 or 40 pounds and then get stuck and never get down
    to *slim*.

    And I've also heard several reports from people who said they use
    low-carbing to control hunger so they can stick to a calorie-restricted
    diet. That makes perfect sense to me. In fact, I think that calorie
    control in some form is the only way to achieve goal weight. Low-carbing
    can help with this, probably.

    But I am looking for actual, first-person reports of people who started
    out as very obese and actually got thin and didn't count anything but
    carbs. That is what I am curious about. I am skeptical about the
    validity of low-carbing in that sense.

    doug

  9. Doug Lerner said:
    heartha said:

    I find counting Points very easy, and yes, more easy than counting
    calories.
    I like it because it takes fat and fiber into account, so something
    that I
    didn't think i could eat, turns out to be more balanced and acceptable
    than
    I thought once all those things are taken into consideration. Still
    carb-controlled, but including fiber and fat.


    The WW points equation (defined at
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/diet.htm) takes into
    account calories, fat and protein, but not total carbs.

    doug

    I mispoke myself. I mean the WW points equation takes into account
    calories, fat and FIBER, but not total carbs.

    doug

  10. There are millions of dieters who have never heard of Usenet. This group is
    a tiny sliver of the universe of dieters.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Doug Lerner <[email hidden]> stated
    | No - I don't think that counting points is easier than counting
    | calories. If anything it is harder because there are less references.
    | It is easy to find the calories of anything - it's harder to find the
    | WW points.
    |
    | (I have an Excel-based WW point counter lying around somewhere,
    | though...)
    |
    | Anyway, WW points *includes* calories and therefore put limits on
    | high-calorie foods even though they might be zero carbs. So there
    | isn't any way you can reasonably call Weight Watchers a low-carb-only
    | diet.
    |
    | So now we only have Jim Bard's anectodal friend, and we really don't
    | know for sure how that person lost weight. It would be useful to hear
    | directly from that person.
    |
    | Shouldn't there be thousands of people, though, with verifiable
    | success stories of the sort I am talking about? Doesn't it strike you
    | a bit odd that former chubbies who have gone from over 100 lb
    | overweight to slim just by counting carbs aren't crawling out of the
    | wordwork and posting all over the place?
    |
    | doug
    |
    |

  11. Doug Lerner wrote:
    || No - I don't think that counting points is easier than counting
    || calories. If anything it is harder because there are less
    || references. It
    || is easy to find the calories of anything - it's harder to find the WW
    || points.
    ||
    || (I have an Excel-based WW point counter lying around somewhere,
    || though...)
    ||
    || Anyway, WW points *includes* calories and therefore put limits on
    || high-calorie foods even though they might be zero carbs. So there
    || isn't
    || any way you can reasonably call Weight Watchers a low-carb-only diet.
    ||
    || So now we only have Jim Bard's anectodal friend, and we really don't
    || know for sure how that person lost weight. It would be useful to hear
    || directly from that person.
    ||
    || Shouldn't there be thousands of people, though, with verifiable
    || success stories of the sort I am talking about? Doesn't it strike
    || you a bit odd
    || that former chubbies who have gone from over 100 lb overweight to
    || slim
    || just by counting carbs aren't crawling out of the wordwork and
    || posting
    || all over the place?
    ||
    || doug

    No....only a fraction of LCers show up here. Look for a post by Nick in the
    thread "Is my appearance me?" He's lost 83 lbs.

    ||
    ||
    || Roger Zoul wrote:
    ||| Isn't counting points easier than counting calories? Also did you
    ||| see that post about Jim Bard's friend?
    |||
    ||| Doug Lerner wrote:
    ||||| Heartha says she stalled when counting just carbs and switched to
    ||||| WW. So
    ||||| she didn't *only* count carbs.
    |||||
    ||||| Surely there must be *some* people out there who have gotten to
    ||||| goal
    ||||| by
    ||||| just counting carbs? Or not?
    |||||
    ||||| If you count WW points you impose other limitations on top of
    ||||| counting carbs. WW points include calories as part of the point
    ||||| equation.
    |||||
    ||||| doug
    |||||
    ||||| p.s. Heartha - I am certainly not diminishing your great
    ||||| achievement. I think it is wonderful and also offer my
    ||||| congratulations! The comment
    ||||| that Roger made is just about another side-discussion we are
    ||||| having.
    |||||
    |||||
    ||||| Roger Zoul wrote:
    |||||| Heartha -
    ||||||
    |||||| You are a true LC success according to Doug Lerner since you got
    |||||| to near goal while only counting carbs (I'm excludng points
    |||||| since he didn't mention that). Good deal!
    ||||||
    |||||| See Doug - here is another one!
    ||||||
    ||||||
    |||||| heartha wrote:
    |||||||| Hi Roger - I don't count calories. I counted carbs until I
    |||||||| stalled out for a few months, then switched to WW, but still
    |||||||| counting
    |||||||| carbs - I just counted Points too 🙂 I take a lot of
    |||||||| supplements (fish & flax oil pills and fiber along with
    |||||||| everything else you'd expect).
    |||||||| I try to do weight training 2-3 times a week and walk 20-40
    |||||||| minutes
    |||||||| a day, 20 minutes a time.
    ||||||||
    ||||||||
    ||||||||
    |||||||| "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    |||||||| news:[email hidden]...
    ||||||||| Did you LC your 100 lbs by LCing? Did you count calories?

  12. Doug Lerner wrote:
    || heartha wrote:
    ||| Thanks Doug - I guess I'm just wondering "what's the big deal?" Is
    ||| someone looking for validation of LC being the one true or only way
    ||| to lose weight? This conversation is hitting some buttons for me.
    ||| I look for successes in whatever form they come.
    ||
    || I agree that success is important no matter the form it comes in.
    || That
    || is why I wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to take away from
    || your fantastic success. (I'm jealous! 🙂).
    ||
    || We were just having a side-conversation on how valid "just low-carb
    || counting" (that is, not counting anything else) really is as a weight
    || loss plan that can take an extremely overweight person (somebody more
    || than 100 lb overweight) down to normal or very-near-normal weight.
    ||
    || Not as "the one true" or "only way" but just to see if LC *by itself*
    || was "one way" of achieving this goal.
    ||
    || I haven't heard any first person reports from anybody that indicates
    || this is so.
    ||
    || I've heard a LOT of reports from people like me who found
    || low-carbing an easy way to lose 30 or 40 pounds and then get stuck
    || and never get down
    || to *slim*.
    ||
    || And I've also heard several reports from people who said they use
    || low-carbing to control hunger so they can stick to a
    || calorie-restricted diet. That makes perfect sense to me. In fact, I
    || think that calorie
    || control in some form is the only way to achieve goal weight.
    || Low-carbing
    || can help with this, probably.
    ||
    || But I am looking for actual, first-person reports of people who
    || started
    || out as very obese and actually got thin and didn't count anything but
    || carbs. That is what I am curious about. I am skeptical about the
    || validity of low-carbing in that sense.

    Be skeptical about "counting only carbs" not about low-carbing. It works if
    you do it. It's just ath really big people have developed habits about
    eating. So it becomes necessary eventually to count calories to keep food
    comsumption under control.

  13. While that is certainly true, it is a cross-section. And there is no
    reason to think it is not a fairly representative cross-section.

    But we don't have to limit our information to people here. Anywhere is
    fine...

    doug

    FOB said:

    There are millions of dieters who have never heard of Usenet. This group is
    a tiny sliver of the universe of dieters.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Doug Lerner <[email hidden]> stated
    | No - I don't think that counting points is easier than counting
    | calories. If anything it is harder because there are less references.
    | It is easy to find the calories of anything - it's harder to find the
    | WW points.
    |
    | (I have an Excel-based WW point counter lying around somewhere,
    | though...)
    |
    | Anyway, WW points *includes* calories and therefore put limits on
    | high-calorie foods even though they might be zero carbs. So there
    | isn't any way you can reasonably call Weight Watchers a low-carb-only
    | diet.
    |
    | So now we only have Jim Bard's anectodal friend, and we really don't
    | know for sure how that person lost weight. It would be useful to hear
    | directly from that person.
    |
    | Shouldn't there be thousands of people, though, with verifiable
    | success stories of the sort I am talking about? Doesn't it strike you
    | a bit odd that former chubbies who have gone from over 100 lb
    | overweight to slim just by counting carbs aren't crawling out of the
    | wordwork and posting all over the place?
    |
    | doug
    |
    |

  14. Cubit said:

    Daniel,

    Quoted message said:

    You are 3 pounds from goal!

    And believe me when I say that I am going to be the legalist,
    excercisingest, bestest LCer you've every seen over the holidays!!!
    Hitting goal on my three-year LC anniversary would be just too cool ;-)

    Luckily, since I've been losing fairly slowly, I haven't hit the slowdown
    that many people report as they're approaching goal weight.

    Dan
    325/193/190
    Atkins since 1/1/02 (yeah, it was a New Year's Resolution)
    Besetting sins: good beer, German bread, and Krispy Kremes

  15. Roger Zoul said:

    Daniel Hoffmeister wrote:
    || As for maintenance, the way I look at it, I've been maintaining a
    || 10-pound loss for almost three years, a 50-pound loss for two years,
    || a 90-pound
    || loss for a year, and a 132-pound loss for one week ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    A success by any measure!

    I absolutely could not have done it without support from family and
    friends, even from my annoying 'eat anything' brother. Everybody has been
    100%, picking suitable foods for family meals and cookouts, checking
    restaurants ahead of time if we go out, not flaunting sugary, wheaty foods
    in front of me (during the first six months this was really crucial for
    this old Mr. Donut).

    My wife kickstarted us both almost three years ago. She lost her weight
    and has kept it off. She only recently told me that if that New Year's
    challenge hadn't work, everyone was plotting an intervention. Something
    about capturing me and hog-tying me, then chaining me to a treadmill in a
    locked room and feeding me only healthy foods. Something like that. My
    wife can be very evil. I don't argue with her much anymore since she's
    taken up weight lifting. My motto, never argue with a woman who can do
    chinups ;-)

    Dan
    325/193/190
    Atkins since 1/1/02 (yeah, it was a New Year's Resolution)
    Besetting sins: good beer, German bread, and Krispy Kremes

  16. "Daniel Hoffmeister" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    Daniel Hoffmeister wrote:
    || As for maintenance, the way I look at it, I've been maintaining a
    || 10-pound loss for almost three years, a 50-pound loss for two years,
    || a 90-pound
    || loss for a year, and a 132-pound loss for one week ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    A success by any measure!

    I absolutely could not have done it without support from family and
    friends, even from my annoying 'eat anything' brother. Everybody has been
    100%, picking suitable foods for family meals and cookouts, checking
    restaurants ahead of time if we go out, not flaunting sugary, wheaty foods
    in front of me (during the first six months this was really crucial for
    this old Mr. Donut).

    My wife kickstarted us both almost three years ago. She lost her weight
    and has kept it off. She only recently told me that if that New Year's
    challenge hadn't work, everyone was plotting an intervention. Something
    about capturing me and hog-tying me, then chaining me to a treadmill in a
    locked room and feeding me only healthy foods. Something like that. My
    wife can be very evil. I don't argue with her much anymore since she's
    taken up weight lifting. My motto, never argue with a woman who can do
    chinups ;-)

    🙂

  17. the first 75 I did LC, but I couldn't lose more until I knocked off
    some calories (still keeping low-carb),,, I cut out cheese, some nuts
    and the Atkins bar I had every night with my coffee...

    while I treadmill every day, in my case the key was cutting out as much
    sugar as possible in every form.

    I still have 20 or 30 lbs. that I would like to lose, but that's just
    to get down to the height and weight chart "norms" for the sheer
    challenge of it... I sleep less, wear "normal" sizes and run into
    people who do double takes when they see me.

    Atkins/low-carb worked for me by eliminating sugar rushes and hunger
    between meals.

    Freddie

  18. Good job. Are you a woman or a man? Did you lift any weights?

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    the first 75 I did LC, but I couldn't lose more until I knocked off
    some calories (still keeping low-carb),,, I cut out cheese, some nuts
    and the Atkins bar I had every night with my coffee...

    while I treadmill every day, in my case the key was cutting out as much
    sugar as possible in every form.

    I still have 20 or 30 lbs. that I would like to lose, but that's just
    to get down to the height and weight chart "norms" for the sheer
    challenge of it... I sleep less, wear "normal" sizes and run into
    people who do double takes when they see me.

    Atkins/low-carb worked for me by eliminating sugar rushes and hunger
    between meals.

    Freddie

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    the first 75 I did LC, but I couldn't lose more until I knocked off
    some calories (still keeping low-carb),,, I cut out cheese, some nuts
    and the Atkins bar I had every night with my coffee...

    while I treadmill every day, in my case the key was cutting out as much
    sugar as possible in every form.

    I still have 20 or 30 lbs. that I would like to lose, but that's just
    to get down to the height and weight chart "norms" for the sheer
    challenge of it... I sleep less, wear "normal" sizes and run into
    people who do double takes when they see me.

    Atkins/low-carb worked for me by eliminating sugar rushes and hunger
    between meals.

    CONGRATULATIONS, Freddie! You're a real inspiration!

    --
    Saffire
    205/147/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  20. One of JC's butt warts has resurfaced......

    Take care,
    Carmen

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.