I Lost my Cadence's magnet

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
Hi I lost the magnet of my cadence from Polar CS200.
How can I find the replacement? please help. Thanks in advance

I had the same problem and Polar emailed me saying it would be like $3.00 for the magnet and $3 for shipping. I went to my LBS (they don't carry Polar products) and they said any crankarm magnet would be sufficient. I ordered one from them but haven't gotten it yet. I'll let you know if it actually works without Polar's magnet.

mysrh said:
If you belong to a club, and they have a web site, you could post a request. Plenty of members in my club have switched back to non cadence computers and don't need that magnet. Maybe a wheel magnet, attached with a zip tie and/or silicone rubber, would work. If so, bike shops should have those.

Any good Perth bike shop can order it from Polar for you. :)

Or you could ask on the Tri Forum page. ;)

Just try any strong magnet, tape to your cranks, if it causes to the cadence sensor light to flicker, it will work as a replacement, then I would epoxy it to the cranks.

There is a magnet shop out my way in Bayswater, they have the little rare earth magnets for cranks.

I'll try the bike shop then. I have no idea whereelse I can get magnet and with the same strength. And Bayswater is just like on the other end of the world to me.

kleng said:
Just try any strong magnet, tape to your cranks, if it causes to the cadence sensor light to flicker, it will work as a replacement, then I would epoxy it to the cranks.
I have thought of the epoxy idea. I seem to break the nylon quick-ties when I'm clicking in. I've been through a few of the magnets but the LBS always seems to have them in stock. About $5.00.

A magnet is a magnet; there's nothing special about the ones Polar uses.

With alloy cranks I've always bought a rare-earth magnet from Jaycar and used Araldite (epoxy glue) to stick one onto the back of the crank. This ends up in a more reliably held magnet than anything that comes with cadence sensors.

Another benefit with using Araldite is that at 80 degrees C, it starts to let go of its bond.. so if you do need to remove the magnet for some reason, just heat it up a little with a heat gun and off it comes, no marks or residue.

Haven't been game to do this with carbon cranks, though :)

mysrh said:
I'll try the bike shop then. I have no idea whereelse I can get magnet and with the same strength. And Bayswater is just like on the other end of the world to me.
There you go, just down the hill (from West Perth) in Newcastle Street, Jaycar! ;)

Does it matter the size of the magnet? Or any size that fits the crank?

mysrh said:
Does it matter the size of the magnet? Or any size that fits the crank?
You'll need one with a reasonable magnetic field, as the crank would be a short distance from the candence sensor, I'd take the sensor in with you to simulate the distance between it and the crank.

mysrh said:
Any magnet will work (wheel magnet from any brand). any bike shop worth their salt can help, check with other cyclist you know as well. Even a sphere magnet would work in a pinch taped to the crank. Pretty ugly though.:confused:

Good luck.

Here is an idea that I tried and it worked.

I purchased a round magnet about 1/2" in diameter. I placed it in the hole in the crank just behind the pedal (the hole that the pedal is screwed into.)
The magnet will stay in place without tape as the magnetism holds it.

I repositioned the sensor. It works just fine. In fact this is a stronger magnet and it works even better than the magnet that came with the computer.

Try it. It is easy. And without tape, it looks much cleaner.

mgkaplan said:
Here is an idea that I tried and it worked.

I purchased a round magnet about 1/2" in diameter. I placed it in the hole in the crank just behind the pedal (the hole that the pedal is screwed into.)
The magnet will stay in place without tape as the magnetism holds it.

I repositioned the sensor. It works just fine. In fact this is a stronger magnet and it works even better than the magnet that came with the computer.

Try it. It is easy. And without tape, it looks much cleaner.
I can vouch for this application. Been using it for years and have not lost the magnet yet. If you can find the right size, it will fit nicely into the pedal spindle.

If you can't find a magnet that fits snugly in the spindle you can use Shoe Goo (do you have this in Australia?) or a similar product. Apply a glob into the spindle and then stick the magnet in. It will hold it in place nicely and you can pull it out with needle nose pliers if you have to.