I Love My Hybrid! Glad I Did Not Get A Road Bike!

That has to be a great feeling keeper, I always feel something similar after tuning up my bike, it looks like another and performs much better.

I guess hybrid bike is the best choice for those who want to enjoy both the road and the trail in terms of cost and efficiency and not too concern about competitive cycling. I wonder tho if anyone here has used a hybrid bike doing a century ride or used it in a triathlon or cycling event?

Yes, I've done a century and many near-centuries (75 and up miles) on my hybrid. Personally, and your mileage may vary as they say, I find the upright posture on a hybrid or mt bike easier on my lower back problems and have more pain on a road bike. That being said, I can have sudden attacks of lower back pain just sitting in my office chair at work, so go figure, it's not something I am going to let stop me ... I guess that's why God invented Naproxen and Ibuprofen ....

OTOH, you will definitely take longer to do a century on a hybrid or mt bike - in my case I am not going for speed, but distance when I ride my hybrid, so I don't care - when I go on long rides I do it when I have "all day" free, usually on a Saturday, so it's no pressure and I make a lot of stops - everything from stopping to take photos to shopping to having a meal to stopping at my office to drop excess gear or clothes or even a couple of time to feed the fish when I forgot on Friday and catch up with the weekend security guy (a fellow cyclist so I've gotten to know him).

Triathlon - dude, only if you seriously don't care where you place ... Or you're such an elite runner or swimmer that you'll make up the poor showing on the ride in the swim or run. Otherwise, forget it ... I mean, you can, but you're at a minimum 2 mph disadvantage from the starting line.

I noticed a lot of road bikes in my local store have disk brakes.

steve said:
I noticed a lot of road bikes in my local store have disk brakes.
I'm starting to dig a nice chunky Secteur or Diverge with disc brakes, or some Calipers with rain pads, proper fenders, juicy bar tape and a rack...

A nice bag in the back maybe... With a pump inside. Dunno...

Something... Slow... Nice... Something that's not rewarding you for driving like a drunk Russian Jet pilot...

Maybe with lots of spokes... Lots... The kind that don't need adjustments after ever ride.

And some f'in grippy comfortable tires. Maybe 25s?

Nice and slow... Dry... Not getting you wasted rides. Trackpants... A proper jacket maybe and not f'in layers.

In a nice city... With bike paths next to shops... Parking for bikes that you don't need to check every 20seconds...

And a Carbon Guru Photon SR on the side... :D

That's the spirit, man! Don't let your accident stop you - just live, learn and adapt.

Many seem devoted to style X of riding, primarily road here on these forums, but there are a diversity of bike styles for a reason - each has it's uses, merits, and alas pitfalls. But unless you are a competitive athlete, I can't imagine NOT having room in your life for different styles of riding and bikes.

I've decided one of my life goals is to have a complete collection of every major bicycle style - to date I have hybrid, hard tail mt bike, full suspension mt bike, fat bike, an e-bike and a cyclocross bike. I have feelers out to upgrade my hybrid - then my next one is gonna be a TT or Tri bike - before spring 2016 - maybe a Kestrel or a Quintana. And eventually something with Campagnolo.

Sounds good... Nah I won't stop cycling... Probably gonna scale up the rides I do though.

A TT bike... Probably not for me.. As much as I like sprinting the most aero I would go is a Venge or Look 695 or something...

But something more comfy for fast touring or something sounds tempting...

That's why I like the Guru for my "burn out" needs. :D Fast, different models according to stiffness without aero added... And since I won't race it, I don't mind getting it in a close out sale too. Made in Canada too. :)

I kinda wonder how road bikes are gonna be next year.

I would probably prefer everything with Campagnolo. Especially high use bikes. ;)

I never actually have ever heard of a hybrid but now I actually might get one for my next bike. I'm due for an upgrade soon since my current one is rusted to a piece of junk. Thanks for the post and the review, you've definitely shown me that hybrids are the way to go!

Reactions: Darktone
My view is that whatever gets you out riding is the best bike for you at that time! I did a bike tour on a mountain bike (with smooth tires), and all I heard was that I was working too hard and needed a road bike. It made me feel a little inadequate. I did end up getting a road bike since I sort of got hooked after that tour, but I was ready for something that'd take me places faster. When it's time for something different, you will be able to make that call. For now, ride lots and enjoy that hybrid!