I Love My Hybrid! Glad I Did Not Get A Road Bike!

Darktone

Jul 1, 2015
Seems like every thread I read everyone try's to talk people out of getting a Hybrid and getting a road bike instead. I have to say mine is the best fit for me and I presume others too. I have extensive paved bike paths in my area. I hardly ever get on the road. I am 50 years old so speed is not my major concern although I do go pretty fast on the trails 15-18 mph on average. If I get a straight area with no other people I'll crank it up to 25mph or so. But for the most part it's just not safe to go that fast on paved bike paths. Joggers with headphones, dogs, deer, families and groups of cyclists are on the trails too and I don't feel safe zipping by them fast. its fun just to sit back and go slow too. I went for a 25 mile ride tonight and realized how completely happy I am that I chose the hybrid. I know if I got the road bike I would not be riding on the paths anymore.

Wow, I think I would like to investigate this a little more. I do not currently own a bike and I am thinking of getting back into cycling. I think I might start first at a gym and then go from there. I do not think I am in too good of shape to be cycling outside. This is especially true in this heat.

Buy a bike and start with short rides. Go around your block to start and go from there. My first bike I bought off craigslist for $100. I figured if I did not follow through and get into biking I could always resell it and get my money back. I did follow through and now I do 400+ miles a month and it's the high point of my day. Getting fit and ENJOYING it!

I loved my hybdrid too. Trek 7.3 fx. I did a ton of rides from 3-50 miles. I'm a big guy so I cruise around 14-15 mph. After 3 years, i got the road bike because more and more of my rides were 25 miles plus and I wanted something to do a century ride on. Both are great bikes. But I am so glad I got the hybrid because it ignited a passion for biking. Hybrids are definitely underrated and with the wider range of gears (27 v 22), climbing can be easier on the hybrid evenif its less aero. Glad to see people loving what they have. Cycling is too much about the next great thing...instead of enjoying the ride u already own. Cheers and safe travels!

Thanks! I have had this bike for 11 days now and I have a 190 miles on it. I am getting more and more used to it every time I ride it. The first time I rode it I struggled to keep it at 15mph( my previous bike I was at about 16.2). Now I am in the steady 17.8-19 mph range.

Also wanted to say here in Wisconsin everyone has a Trek since Trek is from Wisconsin( I don't like the company's liberal political views that others out state may never have heard of). My Schwinn stands out enough I had a cute girl compliment my bike.

My bike is a hybrid too but it's a bit old and I'm currently looking for a new one. I was thinking for a new hybrid, but since now I mainly bike on the roads and not off roading anymore, it would make more sense for me to buy a road bike than a hybrid. It depends on the person and how much you are going to be off roading or not. I should probably change that into if you even off road or not.

I am mostly bike trail. We have such nice trails here I don't feel the need to get on the road with car traffic. If you road on the highways I think would lean more towards a road bike too but for 98% trail riding I think it would be hard to beat a hybrid.

Darktone said:
but for 98% trail riding I think it would be hard to beat a hybrid.

Actually it would be pretty God damn easy. :D

You got drop bar phobia or something? Suspension-philia? :D

2hnni3q.jpg

Cool looking bike! I myself prefer no suspension. I guess when you are over 50 and worked in a tire shop/garage your whole life the dropped bar riding position is not very appealing.

My Road-MTB Fusion and I laugh at your hybrids and road bikes. I ride a lot in the City of Boston, and I require a sturdy frame that can sustain the wear and tear that you find in an urban environment. Thus I decided in taking the best from both worlds. The speed of road cranks, and slick road tires, mixed with a bad ass titanium mtb frame. I can keep up with the best of them, forget about it the winter, since you will only see fat bikes out and my lone slim and sexy steed. Very fast, strong and light. (I opted for all 3 variables) worth every penny.

I like a hybrid bike since I can ride through all road conditions. With a hybrid bike, you can carry more luggage than a road bike. By buying a hybrid bike, I cut down the costs of buying both the mountain bike and a road bike.

Road bikes are hardly as versatile as hybrids, I never had one and I am not planning on having them as I don't do just road.

There is much confirmation bias and misinformation slung about this thread. You cannot objectively compare against a style of bike you have never used.

Most hybrids are a sad compromise of the best features of other types of cycles; Much much better than no bike at all, but excels at nothing. A (cyclo)cross, touring or mountain bike with city tires are better options in my opinion.

If the series of Road Bike Party video edits has told me anything, it's that a road bike can be ridden ANYWHERE. It's the rider's skill level that holds you back from terran types.
That being said to each his own. If you like hybrids, ride a hybrid. I know guys that does 50k on mountain bike right along side roadies.
ride what makes you happy man and enjoy!

Exactly. Ride whatever puts a grin on your face.

Drop bar road bikes are pretty versatile and can be set up for positions varying from almost bolt-upright to TT flat back racer boy. As BBBB alluded to, go watch Martyn Ashton's videos to see how far a road bike can be pushed as a trials machine.

Hybrids have been the vehicle to get a whole lot of folks cycling. And keep them cycling. Not everyone is a racer or wants to be one. I'm not the least ashamed to admit I enjoy our area bike paths as viewed over my DEDA drop bars. I'm also the first to tell people road bikes are in a distinct minority on the Rails-To-Trails paths in my 'hood. Hybrids rule the bike paths and the heads-up riding position probably does make folks 'feel' safer (SHHHH! We dare not tell them it ain't so...let them believe!).

That is also true, if something gives you pleasure to ride just go for it, that's my philosophy! :D

CAMPYBOB said:
Exactly. Ride whatever puts a grin on your face.

Drop bar road bikes are pretty versatile and can be set up for positions varying from almost bolt-upright to TT flat back racer boy. As BBBB alluded to, go watch Martyn Ashton's videos to see how far a road bike can be pushed as a trials machine.

Hybrids have been the vehicle to get a whole lot of folks cycling. And keep them cycling. Not everyone is a racer or wants to be one. I'm not the least ashamed to admit I enjoy our area bike paths as viewed over my DEDA drop bars. I'm also the first to tell people road bikes are in a distinct minority on the Rails-To-Trails paths in my 'hood. Hybrids rule the bike paths and the heads-up riding position probably does make folks 'feel' safer (SHHHH! We dare not tell them it ain't so...let them believe!).
There is a similar trend in motorcycling. So many riders (mostly young men) will sneer at anything that isn't a race-ready +600cc 4cyl fuel injected crotch rocket. Yes sure they go 200+ KPH and they are faster then all hell, but that shouldn't be the be all and end all goal of two wheeled vechicles. Same with cycling, just because your not geared up to win competitions doesn't mean squat. Casual riding is just as rewarding, ride what you feel comfortable riding and what makes you happy.
I love when I see a guy or girl riding an interesting looking bike, something different. Seeing a proliferation of "beach cruiser" type rides with internal 3 speeds around town this year. Which I like a lot better then then hipster fixie trend that's been gripping major metro's everywhere for the past decade.

As someone who put around 2K miles on a Hybrid before moving to a Road Bike (Specialized Secteur), I can tell you that most of this pro-hybrid thread is mis-informed.

Myth: Hybrids are more comfortable.
My Experience: Hybrids are more comfortable for the first 30 minutes. After that, the better weight distribution of a road bike wins out for comfort assuming we're not talking about racing geometry (I'm riding a Secteur, which has an endurance geometry). Road bike hand position is also more comfortable as it promotes a straight wrist position, where as hybrid bars require wrists to be flexed. I very rarely use the drops and stay mostly on the hoods, for reference.

Myth: Front suspension and bigger tires = smoother ride.
My Experience: Not necessarily and not nearly as much as you think. Front suspension means more wasted effort going up hills due to the springiness and added weight. My bike has Front and Rear Zerts inserts to smooth out road vibration, and it does an amazing job. There are only a few rare occasions I miss my hybrid's bigger tires (grooved pavement is one of them), but most roads, even blue chip roads, are just as smooth.

Myth: Going faster doesn't matter to a casual cyclist
My Experience: I'm no racer nor do I want to be, but adding around 2Mph of speed and losing 12 pounds of bike for free changed my riding a LOT. It opened up a ton of new routes and I avoided hills a lot less. More routes=more enjoyment.

Myth: Road bikes are hard on your back
My Experience: I have lower back issues. I have found that my road bike is actually easier on my back as it takes weight off of my lower spine that sitting more upright imposes and the movements generated from the riding position keep my back loose. However, it might depend on what exactly is wrong with your back so YMMV.

Now, where hybrid win, hands down, is price. I paid $279 at Dicks for my hybrid (Diamondback Edgewood) and for 2 years it was my gateway drug, so as a first bike to see if you are interested in going further in the hobby they are awesome.

But the first time I test-rode my current road bike it was truly eye-opening, like I had been riding with the brake on and now I was free.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike