I love passing other riders....

cycling_jedi

Aug 13, 2006
Now don't get me wrong.. on a level of 1-10 my cycling skills are most likely around 4 or 5 so dont read this thinking I am competing here.

Anyway....

When I am out for a ride I usually see a few other riders. Most are just commuting others are riding for the ride. I love coming up behind a rider though and imagining I am in a race and just zoom past them... obviously I have a slight advantage since I am in my own little dream world and the other rider doesnt even care that I am there.

This morning was especially cool.... I was riding along and noticed a rider a little ways ahead of me... "Duel of Fates" (song from Star Wars) was playing in my mp3 and I started getting in the zone... I imagined myself in a highlight montage with the music playing in the background as I caught up to and passed the other rider.

I know that all of this means nothing, but it is cool. It is almost euphoric, like cycling is a drug or something ;)

sogood said:
You have a problem! :eek:
do you mean that in a good way or a bad one?

Believe it or not, people tell me that all the time... I dont know what they mean though. :D

I do the EXACT same thing when I'm out on my bike. Whenever I see a bike infront of me, i'm like a bull seeing a red flag. I charge out and (try to) overtake them.

BUT! I'm more like a 3 :eek: at biking so alot of times, when I know I won't be able to dust them, I'll very quietly draft behind them and see how long I can keep up. Since I ride mostly solo, this is a great way for me to push myself to my limits over just mentally trying to challenge myself.

I got dusted the other day by some huge, burly guy. I was cruising and he passed me from behind. I decided I'd try keeping with him, but then he looked back and waved for me to go out ahead of him. Like a Idiot, I bit and took the bait. 15 minutes later I'm winded and hes pulling way out ahead of me. *******...and all I wanted to do was try and keep pace..:(

One of the things I love doing now and again is to go out alone for no particular reason and just ride...stop for a Coffee and ride back...taking in the Scenery, the fresh Air and have a chat with other Riders I come across...those that are willing to have a chat that is...

Cycling is great for the mind, it's a great escape sometimes...

Then of course, I'll see a Rider way in the distance and try and catch up with them, or glance behind and see someone and try and stay ahead...

I never feel TOO good if I achieve either because I could be on my 5th mile and they're on their 80th....but it just helps me to not get TOO lazy sometimes...

But sometimes it's just great to go out alone and enjoy the ride...

cycling_jedi said:
do you mean that in a good way or a bad one?

Believe it or not, people tell me that all the time... I dont know what they mean though. :D
Just joking of course...

I think setting your target on the rider in front of you is a nice motivational technique and being competitive is just human nature.

BUT, I hope you don't do a 5 yrs old "nanana" as you go past. ;)

I try to stay with other riders I find, and not really overtake them. Its one of my favorite things about riding - while you're in a town bustling with auto traffic, somehow I always managed to meet eyes with just about every rider I see. That little smile, sometimes a wave, that's my favorite part about other riders.

Its like we're in some sort of secret club, lol.

Yeah, passing other riders is fun, but the biggest high I get in cycling is dropping other riders on hills. It's great, I can't get enough of it.

I'm not a fast rider either. I am big at 6'1" 192. The other day, on a hill called "The Wall" I actually passed another guy. I couldn't believe it. That was probably the best day I have had in 2 years of riding.

I think we all measure someone when we see them in front. When I see someone in front that I can pass, I normally catch them by riding easy enough getting to them that I have enough in the tank to pass them convincingly. It kinda breaks their spirit.

I see some that I cannot catch and others pass me. It's all good.

I love passing other people. Someone ahead of me is a target, and seems to provide the extra encouragement to push a little harder. My favorite is when I do my daily commutes and see someone quite far ahead of me. I like to push myself and see how long it takes me to pass them.

sogood said:
BUT, I hope you don't do a 5 yrs old "nanana" as you go past. ;)
actually I only did this once, last week... but I got so distracted my pedal got caught in the other riders training wheels.

Cycling Jedi-your ebay account says your from westville, nj. roughly 20mins or so from me. Ever do any of the peddler shop rides, or just go into the shop?

Like a lot of posters here, I also like to take a nice easy ride sometimes... It is like going out for a stroll.. no rush... stop whenever you want and relax... it is nice....

But I love passing another rider or leaving him at the bottom of a hill....

they both are nice.

ToffoIsMe said:
Cycling Jedi-your ebay account says your from westville, nj. roughly 20mins or so from me. Ever do any of the peddler shop rides, or just go into the shop?
Actually... believe it or not I haven't been into the peddler shop yet... I only started cycling about 2 or 3 months ago and have just been using my old mtb.... I want to go in there and check out the road bikes they might have, but I am afraid I will only tease myself since I can't afford a top of the line bike right now.

How often do they have rides and what are they like? Can anyone join them?

ToffoIsMe said:
Do you work at the Peddlers Shop next to the depford mall?

I know what you mean (about the feeling of passing someone). The other day a older man (pass me up at an intersection) and I tired to keep up with him. But, after my 30 miles, i was spent.
Then, I pass a young gal on a mountain bike and i felt better.

All is fun.
:cool:

cycling_jedi said:
Do you work at the Peddlers Shop next to the depford mall?
Yes I do. Whenever you get around to coming in just look for the young kid with longer hair and give me a shout. Names Eric.
We run rides Sunday morning and Wendsday evening. I believe this coming wendsday will be the last one of the season though, because of the sun going down earlier. Sunday morning rides will be going on until it gets too cold for people to want to show up.

Sunday morning is usually a relaxing, social ride. Geared more towards beginners. C/C+ pace (around 16mph usually). If there are a lot of people then a faster group gets organized too. No rider left behind. Meets 8:15am, leaves 8:30am SHARP.

Wendsday is for more experienced riders. ROAD BIKES ONLY. Not my rule, the manager's rule. Two rides go off, a B (usually 18-19mph) and an A (20+mph). You should really have some experience riding in a rotating, double pace line before trying either of them. Many times they will not wait for dropped riders, and if you aren't rotating properly the group may drop you purposely. Meets 6:00pm, leaves 6:15pm.

If you havent been riding for very long I do suggest sticking to the sunday ride for awhile. More info can be found at www.pscycles.com

And so what if you don't have money for a good road bike yet, you can still come in and ask questions, get some catalogs, check out all the other gear, etc.

Spend a day riding around a kiddie loop in the park. You can feel like a tour champion!!
biggrin.gif

Achievement is doing something above your own personal best.
If you are doing the same distances and times for months or years, you are just average.
Maybe the person you just past is two months out from having a heart bypass but if you are passing someone who constantly beats you on a lap, that may be worth celebrating.
tongue.gif

Rockslayer said:
Spend a day riding around a kiddie loop in the park. You can feel like a tour champion!!
biggrin.gif

Achievement is doing something above your own personal best.
If you are doing the same distances and times for months or years, you are just average.
Maybe the person you just past is two months out from having a heart bypass but if you are passing someone who constantly beats you on a lap, that may be worth celebrating.
tongue.gif
Yeah, I agree!!

SO, I'm defiantely going to find that hairy beast-man and make him eat my dust next time I ride. Even if my calfs are a third the size of his. I'll make use of my more aerodynamic figure. Ha!

On my last 50 mile ride, I came up upon a rider 20 miles into it. It was fun passing him, I blew by him just as he was reaching the top of a hill. It really got my adrenalin up. Then 10 miles later I caught site of another rider. I had almost caught up with him and he made the set of traffic lights. I Didn't.:( Then I was again within 200 feet of him and he made another set of lights which I missed.:mad: Finally after that he ran out of lights and I was able to get by him. I first saw him about a 1/4 mile ahead of me and it took me about 5 miles to pass him.

Had a lot of fun passing both of those riders, and when I got home I also discovered I had a new high average speed for a 50 mile ride. Made my day!:)