I love passing other riders....

I'll try and pass someone depending on how they look. Pro-types on road bikes and all the gear (probably not), commuters in tracksuit pants and old t-shirt (hell yeah), females with petite or curvaceous bodies (draft, always draft :) )...
Some time back I was passed on the bridge (Sydney Harbour) by a guy on an identical MTB to mine. After passing he kept looking back over his shoulder at me. I took that to be a challenge so naturally put my foot down and went for it. I passed him easily enough and got down to the lights near the base of the bridge where I slowed while waiting for them to change. As they changed to green he comes zooming past me. I caught him on the hill a hundred metres further along. We did this tag team thing at several more intersections until we finally came to the last hill before home (short and steep). He was ahead of me but I went flying past. As I passed him I heard him grunt 'too hard.' Anyway, came to my driveway where I slowed just over the hill. He cycled past and yelled out 'nice bike.'
I quite enjoyed this little 'competition'...I think we both probably had a good laugh about it later.

1id10t said:
He cycled past and yelled out 'nice bike.'
I quite enjoyed this little 'competition'...I think we both probably had a good laugh about it later.
Classic! I don't think I've come across anyone riding the same bike as me before (and trust, mine is a dime a dozen Trek)

modsavage said:
Classic! I don't think I've come across anyone riding the same bike as me before (and trust, mine is a dime a dozen Trek)
Yeah, I did a double take when I noticed this toward the end of the ride. I'd upgraded afew bits on my bike but it was basically the same model, same year and same colour. Must have got it on sale at the same place I did. :);)

Some people like to charge road signs imaging that they are finish lines. Have fun, it sounds like a good way to stay motivated for good effort.

I like that you acknowledge that the folks you are passing are not "weaker" than you because you can pass them. You never know who you are passing. Are you "blowing past" the guy on the hill because you are so strong, or because he's out for a recovery ride? You never know.

My most recent story.............

I 'm out on a sunny Saturday and I see a biker out front. I pull up along side: full Merlin bike with Record components. Guys about 50 y.o.
I say "hello", but no reply. I keep going.
Drafts, so I ratchet up the speed a bit.
Again, so I ratchet it up some more.
Still a shadow behind me.
So I go all out, but mind you I'm already hurting a bit from the effort (this about 30 miles into 50).
Of course I cook myself like a Christmas turkey, and there he goes sauntering by.
I am depressed, suicidal (not really!). I don't know if I can finish the ride, I'm so tired.
So I eat a little and keep pushing.

And don't ya know it? I pass the guy again about 6 miles later, and this time he's to out of it to catch me.
Moral of the tale? I don't have a clue, but I like telling it.:D

When someone passes me while I am doing LSD training and I am feeling mean I like to hang behind them a hundred meters or so. People will kill themselves trying to drop me. It is funny to watch people try to get out of the situation by turning off the main route (I'll follw them) or faking leg cramps (I'll also slow down).

Bro Deal said:
When someone passes me while I am doing LSD training and I am feeling mean I like to hang behind them a hundred meters or so. People will kill themselves trying to drop me. It is funny to watch people try to get out of the situation by turning off the main route (I'll follw them) or faking leg cramps (I'll also slow down).

DANG!! What do you look like, just so I know....
:eek:

HenryLaRoy said:
Some people like to charge road signs imaging that they are finish lines. Have fun, it sounds like a good way to stay motivated for good effort.

I like that you acknowledge that the folks you are passing are not "weaker" than you because you can pass them. You never know who you are passing. Are you "blowing past" the guy on the hill because you are so strong, or because he's out for a recovery ride? You never know.
Exactly it.... the people I pass ( and the ones that pass me) dont even care that I am there... we are all out to enjoy our hobby....

But I have a wild imagination and when the right song is pumping in the mp3 I imagine that I am passing them on the final stretch of a race... I dont tell myself that I am beating some personal best by passing this guy I am just imagining...

I view my achievements by my time and distance measurements... not by the people that I pass.

My favorite is being pushed. I love it when someone is chasing me and at the end of the circuit he/she still hasn't caught me, it's 10 times better than passing them. When they are chasing and can't quite reach you is the best....
It's kind of like they thought you were a sucker and next thing they know you hit that last hill and I jump out of my seat and they know it's over. The cream-de-la-cream (sp) is when you see them reaching for treir bottel.....Game over...I know that all of this means nothing, but it is fun. They probably were just doing some targeted training and I was in what I thought was the TDF. Wahoooooo

Blademun said:
Yeah, I agree!!

SO, I'm defiantely going to find that hairy beast-man and make him eat my dust next time I ride. Even if my calfs are a third the size of his. I'll make use of my more aerodynamic figure. Ha!

Come and get it big boy
---Chewbacca

cycling_jedi said:
Now don't get me wrong.. on a level of 1-10 my cycling skills are most likely around 4 or 5 so dont read this thinking I am competing here.

Anyway....

When I am out for a ride I usually see a few other riders. Most are just commuting others are riding for the ride. I love coming up behind a rider though and imagining I am in a race and just zoom past them... obviously I have a slight advantage since I am in my own little dream world and the other rider doesnt even care that I am there.

This morning was especially cool.... I was riding along and noticed a rider a little ways ahead of me... "Duel of Fates" (song from Star Wars) was playing in my mp3 and I started getting in the zone... I imagined myself in a highlight montage with the music playing in the background as I caught up to and passed the other rider.

I know that all of this means nothing, but it is cool. It is almost euphoric, like cycling is a drug or something ;)

Sad

I understand the sentiments here. Onmy daily ride to uni, I hat having another cyclist up ahead of me because I HAVE to pass them and then I arrive a sweaty heap.

all I wanna do is cruise :cool:

Yeah most people are like that even in the car. I always say, "where you going? The red light." Riding a bike is different than being in the car. You just end up with a ticket when you go to fast in a car passing people. The bike though it can be fun. We can imagine that we are in a race. Lol.

I think you are just enjoying the experience and the feeling you get from it. I also did that before when I felt like being competitive for no reason. It is only you who knows what is going inside your mind and other people may not even notice or get bothered by it unless you make yourself so obvious.