I love to cook

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Steve Wertz
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Can you find a citation attributing it to Duncan Hines?
>> >I'd be curious.
>> >
>> >I checked several websites and the only attribution I
>> >can find for that quotation is Anonymous. I found these
>> >by Hines: "More people will die from hit-or-miss eating
>> >than from hit-and-run driving;" and "I've run less risk
>> >driving my way across country than eating my way across
>> >it. " Maybe my search string is incomplete.
>>
>> It's not on a website. If you'd read about Duncan Hines
>> (in books), these are the exact same kinds of quotes he
>> was known for.
>>
>> Read 'Adventures in Good Eating' (1944) and specifically,
>> page 37 of "Kitchen Culture: 50 years of food fads"
>> (Pharos Books, 1991), where he is credited with saying:
>>
>> "If the soup had been as warm as the wine; if the wine
>> had been as old as the turkey; and the turkey had a
>> breast like the maid, it would have been a swell dinner".
>
> Hah! Thanks.
>
>> Obviously it's been re-phrased here and there, but that's
>> essentially the exact same quote. Contrary to popular
>> belief, not everything can be found on the web;
>
> Of course. It's easy to fall into the thought.
>
>>There are still books.
>
> Sure enough. And may there always be. There's something
> satisfying to me to turn a paper page.

Isn't that the truth. I buy books all the time and the SO
just shakes his head. He doesn't understand why I bother
with so much info available online. Well, when his ass
isn't around pestering me I like a nice cup of coffee and a
good book to read. The funny excerpts in cookbooks always
crack me up and I have the complete set of the Harvard
Classics I have not, and maybe will never get through. It
is strange how I get out of the reading mode though and
then all of a sudden I'm going through 3 books a week after
a long dry spell.

Michael <- currently reading a cookbook sent by a beloved
friend from NYC
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:38:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hah! Thanks.

No problem. That book was on the top of the pile.

>>There are still books.
>
>Sure enough. And may there always be. There's something
>satisfying to me to turn a paper page.

I could never read more than a few pages from anything but
paper. Nice, conventient, paper.

-sw

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:38:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hah! Thanks.
>
> No problem. That book was on the top of the pile.
>
> >>There are still books.
> >
> >Sure enough. And may there always be. There's something
> >satisfying to me to turn a paper page.
>
> I could never read more than a few pages from anything but
> paper. Nice, conventient, paper.
>
> -sw

Agreed. Paperless society? HAH!!! When I was working, folks
were always printing out big docs instead of reading them
on a screen.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:38:04 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hah! Thanks.
>
> No problem. That book was on the top of the pile.
>
> >>There are still books.
> >
> >Sure enough. And may there always be. There's something
> >satisfying to me to turn a paper page.
>
> I could never read more than a few pages from anything but
> paper. Nice, conventient, paper.
>
> -sw

Agreed. Paperless society? HAH!!! When I was working, folks
were always printing out big docs instead of reading them
on a screen.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
and a grave is the depth of the hole."

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:07:00 -0600, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they
looked like this:

>I was replying to the subject, and referenced "all the
>posts from tonight". It's not that hard to understand.
>
>I'm very well versed at quoting; There was nothing specific
>to quote this time.

Sure, it was hard to understand or I wouldn't have inquired.
I was curious as to what set you off this time.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:08:20 -0600, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they
looked like this:

>On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:54:19 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
>>had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
>>been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
>>good dinner." Anonymous.
>
>Oh, and BTW: Your quote is not "anonymous". It's almost
>certainly a Duncan Hines quote.

Source, please. I have a book called _Poisonous Quotes_ that
gives no authorship and would be more than happy to credit
the author if it was, indeed, Duncan Hines.