I made it to England finally... now to ride

BenMelb

Jan 17, 2006
Well i made it safe and sound, think i have slowly got used to the weather as the weather has been very kind to me.

think the bike made it also with only a damaged bar tape, and maybe 2 slight buckels in the wheel then again they might be ok, I will let the bike shop have a look for me

I have noticed that the roads are far less bike friendly than i am used to, There is more traffice, smaller roads and much more intersections etc (I am not far from the city at the moment)

Is there anywhere i can go to find some bike maps for the north east of england (esp near newcastle) I will need to get my fitness built up again and start getting back into having a ride each week or two.

I will also need to replace my shorts and jersey with somthing warmer as i was used to riding in the extream heat, now it looks like i will need to find something to stop the wind chill/wet

How do people cope with the wet roads and road bikes? (do you still ride, or only in summer) as i noticed its often wet, untill it drys the road out but its very likly to get wet again before that happens.

Cheers

Hi there and welcome to England! :)

What are you talking about? Its spring now and shorts weather!! ;) Seriously though, it has been bloody awful recently.

I know what you mean about the roads. I'm just making a transition to road riding from mostly off road stuff - just did my first 14 mile commute yesterday and I've already run ins with idiots of various types in cars!

If you fancy heading south of the river County Durham Council offer some maps with routes of various lengths mapped out. You can find them here http://www.durham.gov.uk/durhamcc/usp.nsf/pws/Tourism+-+Tourism+Activities+Cycling

Not sure what north tyneside council offer but they might be worth a look. Sustrans (www.sustrans.co.uk) offer maps of various national routes some of them pass through the area. You also can't go wrong with an ordnance survey map of the area. You should be able to pick one up from any book shop in Newcastle. Can't remember the sheet number for tyneside off the top of my head.

A couple of good local bike shops if you haven't found them already are...
M Steels in Gosforth
Edinburgh Bike Cooperative in Byker (used to be called Hardisy's)

There is loads of good cycling in the area. I'm enjoying takling some of the hills of county durham as I now live in Chester le Street but I still like getting over the coast round Whitley Bay when I can. Up in Northumberland round Rothbury way is excellent.

Hope you're enjoying Newcastle!

David

thanks heaps, i went to Whitly bay last weekend and thought i might try a ride in that area. (esp when i have a car and can get the bike out of the city)

I have just been past the bike shop in gosforth which is good since i live near it,

.... however i have just been shipped over to the USA for another week so the ride will have to wait till i get back.. and the never ending jetlag wears off :)

Thanks so much for the links i will follow them up and try not to be such a girly re: the cold weather, i am just used to the 30's back in aus.

cheers

VeloSpeed said:
just found this for North Tyneside but its a bit off roady... http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/docs/footpath/ntcyclew.pdf

Your best bet might well be to call in to Steels and ask about local clubs. These guys might be a good bet...

http://www.gosforthroadclub.com/links.php

David

BenMelb said:
Thanks so much for the links i will follow them up and try not to be such a girly re: the cold weather, i am just used to the 30's back in aus.
and I'm just jealous! Mind, the weatehr is improving here. Had a ride back from Allenheads on Sunday in glorious sunshine - a welcome return to glove spots:)