I might be crazy but...

bulaboy

Jan 5, 2006
I think I'm starting to like my trainer!

I only rode about a thousand miles last season and not much more the year before. So just after Thanksgiving (5 weeks ago) I decided that I'd try to get into some kind of decent shape before spring rolled around again. I've got a Kurt Kinetic trainer and I've got a cycling computer with a rear wheel pick up. I read the whole "It's killing me..." thread and I started doing 2x20's 4 or 5 days a week. It is amazing to me just how well this is working. Granted I was pretty out of shape when I started but my sustainable power is going up consistently. I know the gains won't come in linear fashion but I still expect to be faster when April arrives than I've ever been in my life! And to accomplish this in just 4 months on the trainer (granted I'm not there yet) is too cool. I've also lost 17 pounds. 10 to go. So while the trainer rides can be tough I am loving the results.

bulaboy said:
I think I'm starting to like my trainer!

I only rode about a thousand miles last season and not much more the year before. So just after Thanksgiving (5 weeks ago) I decided that I'd try to get into some kind of decent shape before spring rolled around again. I've got a Kurt Kinetic trainer and I've got a cycling computer with a rear wheel pick up. I read the whole "It's killing me..." thread and I started doing 2x20's 4 or 5 days a week. It is amazing to me just how well this is working. Granted I was pretty out of shape when I started but my sustainable power is going up consistently. I know the gains won't come in linear fashion but I still expect to be faster when April arrives than I've ever been in my life! And to accomplish this in just 4 months on the trainer (granted I'm not there yet) is too cool. I've also lost 17 pounds. 10 to go. So while the trainer rides can be tough I am loving the results.
Okay, I was truly believing your whole story until I read these words again:D ...You read the WHOLE thread?? If so, I'm truly impressed with your focus and therefore not suprised one iota that you've taken to indoor training. If not, neither could I, so no big deal...Nonetheless, keep up the good work!:)

p.s. 3-4hrs on the trainer will be no problem for you with the patience you apparently have...

tonyzackery said:
Okay, I was truly believing your whole story until I read these words again:D ...You read the WHOLE thread?? If so, I'm truly impressed with your focus ....
Maybe that should be a prerequisite to indoor training. When folks post the classic "should I invest in a trainer" question we'll ask whether they've read the entire IKMB... thread. And then maybe a pop quiz like what was RDO's nickname for Tyson before he went public and what role "The Smoker" played in Tyson's motivation. If they can pull it off then by all means buy the home torture machine:)

Seriously, more power to you (pun intended) bulaboy. Gains come quickly when you commit yourself to structured training. Sure they'll slow as your fitness improves but keep it up and you should be ready for outdoor riding in the spring.

Good luck,
-Dave

bulaboy said:
I think I'm starting to like my trainer! ................I read the whole "It's killing me..." thread and I started doing 2x20's 4 or 5 days a week. It is amazing to me just how well this is working.
Cool post. It's the middle of the winter here in the midwest and nobody has seen the sun for days at a time and you are excited about riding your bike. That's great.

That's what training with power has done for me too. Initially, in the fall, I miss riding outdoors. Like you, after a few steady consistent weeks on the trainer, I see my numbers climbing and I'm hooked. By this point in the winter I can complete Tyson's thought "It's killing me but...." with something affirmative.....all of the motivation that comes from seeing the average watts climbing on those sweaty 20 minute intervals and imagining the possibilities that additional power will bring on the road in the spring.

Congratulations on the increase in your power over the last couple of months but, IMO, learning to want to ride a trainer with enough intensity and volume to produce that kind of improvement is the really big breakthrough. Tyson's thread helped me a lot with this and so do daveryanwyoming's posts. If you love your trainer now, just wait till you get back outdoors with your riding group. You are going to notice a huge difference.

So will your riding buddies. Are you going to tell them how you did it?

The days are getting longer!

Curlew

wiredued said:
You will be keep it up... I'm a silly "middle aged" twit who surprised himself last summer. Being well into my 40's and riding faster than I could ever ride in my twenties
Ditto. Except I'm in my 50's now (and except I didn't ride in my 20's - too bad for me).

I have to confess two things: I also read the whole "Its' killing me.." thread :eek: late last fall after I found this forum looking for more information about training with power meters; and I'm also beginning to enjoy the results of the structured training I've been able to maintain the last 12 weeks since I joined the darkside & started using a PT hub & a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer.

After reading the Allen & Coggan book, perusing the various threads and absorbing the input from the knowledgeable folks around here, I have you all to blame ;) for making it possible to optimise my limited riding time, remain motivated to stay in decent shape and avoid the winter weight I previously accumulated the past few seasons since I hit my 40s. The physiology behind the training response makes sense to me, and having the metrics will allow me to have a 2nd opinion, so to speak, to the RPE & HR I've used in the past to gauge my riding intensity.

I don't race, but the last 2 years I've returned to cycling after a 7 year absence and enjoy a weeklong cross state ride and several weekend rides/tours in the summer, a few late season centuries, and tried my hand again at our club's fall time trials. I hope to better my 28:00 10-mile time best(I know it's embarassing:eek: ) last October.

I'm stoked and can't wait for the spring season. But I've also stopped dreading the indoor rides when previously I could barely tolerate a 30 min session on the rollers. More power to you bulaboy :) .

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

Another thing about trainer rides is that I notice things I would not notice if I were riding on the road. Every minute of my intervals I change my hand placement. I go from the tops of the bars to the hoods, to the tops, and then the drops... It gives me something to do which helps to make the time go by and it also gets me used to the different positions. I notice that when I am in the drops it is easier for me to relax and my speed goes up. Quite a bit sometimes. It's subtle and I never realized it before. I am more efficient in the drops. I've also noticed that when I control my breathing better and don't exhale so forcefully (I sometimes sound like a locomotive) my PE goes down and once again I get more efficient and speed goes up. Just opening up my chest has the same effect. These are just little things but it's cool to become aware of them. My mental dialogue is also very important. Today was day 3 of a 3 day block. I resisted the notion that todays workout was tough and kept telling myself that "It's not that hard. It's not that hard." over and over. If I tell myself that it's going to be a tough day it is tougher.

Just random thoughts. Like I said I might be crazy........